Brief synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

Oct 20, 2015
I think Oxford aren't that different to us. And we'll finish near them. Unfortunately that may well be in the relegation zone. Can you name four L1 teams worse than us?

They responded to their manager's instructions and pressed our powder puff defence. I think most of us were worried about a loss even at half time. But once again RL's team talk sapped any motivation out and we're under the cosh straight away. Camara trying his best, it feels like he's running for the whole team and dragging them behind him. If we lose him to injury I can't see us staying up.

Edwards did ok and got a couple of crosses in. Apart from that I can't disagree with everyone else's observations - Mayor is increasingly looking like a luxury we can't afford. Nouble atrocious - to quote another PASOTI wag, you'd not notice if his shirt was on a hexagon-shaped piece of wood on the D. Once again our back three completely flummoxed by any set piece - free kick, corner, even long throw.

I don't know what we can do, apart from gamble on some new players in Jan. Without some serious reinforcements we aren't going to change this pattern of play. Alternative formations aren't the answer as we've already seen (and I was one voice calling for a back four).

Trouble is I would have every sympathy with Hallett saying "you spent your money in the summer, make the best of what you've got."

Oct 5, 2012
Cornwall
Moore was absolutely dreadful regarding the second goal... Got beat to the ball on the halfway line then just jogged back letting the Oxford player get in front of him and tap it in. Absolutely no fight or determination....Very poor.

Aug 24, 2009
Contrary to what Lowe might say, we are in trouble, that was a very poor game, His very good at talking it up but he is judged on his ability on how he responds when we are playing badly and I am sorry to say but he doesn't have the ability, we are calling out for a manager with experience not someone who is still learning the job. I suppose Jephcott will get all the praise but apart from the penalty he offered nothing. Those that think his a championship player have no idea what attributes a centre forward needs to compete at that level, he does not have them. Why our fantastic manager took Hardy and Edwards off to be replaced by Moore and Nouble I have no idea, they are the two players that offered a threat against a tiring Oxford defence. Our main threat was from the wide area yet we continued to pump the ball onto the head of there giant central defender. Telford coming on made sense however far too late, he should have replaced Jephcott earlier. Having got off to a fantastic start and good goal we seemed to loose our concentration and went downhill from thereon. Mayor was okay but if we are going to get out of this mess we need more from him. I am still not convinced by our goalkeeper, as a stop stopper his fine however the remainder of his game is well below Palmer who he was understudy too last year.

Mint Green

🇨🇾🇨🇾🇨🇾🇨🇾🇨🇾
✅ Evergreen
Nov 21, 2014
Nobby":nudrjb3m said:
Jesus, nothing like a bit of overreaction. An average performance that started brightly and fizzled out. Oxford are a decent side. Don't be fooled by their league position, they're a playoff standard side that has been hugely underperforming and it's no surprise they're now working their way up the league.

There were some good performances tonight. Edwards, Hardie and Camara in particular being the standouts. Unfortunately, that's all been undone by a moment of lunacy from Will Aimson and a general inability to defend set pieces. Until we get the basics right, we will continue to ship goals. Lets hope the recruitment team has something lined up for Jan. Regardless, we're a mid-table/lower half team and we aren't going to win every game, it's just disappointing that we didn't manage to get a point out of this one after we started so well.

My main concern, barring the defence, is the lack of game-changers off the bench. I like most of our first XI, but think the drop off to the backups is stark.

Let's hope we bounce back vs Gillingham.

Cooper - 6
Edwards - 7
Aimson - 4
Canavan - 6
Watts - 5
Grant - 7
MacLeod - 6
Mayor - 6
Camara - 8 (MOTM)
Jephcott - 6
Hardie - 7

Completely agree with your summary and ratings although I felt Watts and Edwards were both equal 6's. Aimless Aimson was really poor tonight. A decent loan centre half signing in the January window will keep us up comfortably.

Sep 6, 2006
Aims on gets the blame but second goal was Moore's fault. Got done in Midfield when he should have been left wb anyway. Left massive gap for them to exploit. Why was Grant taken off anyway? Another mystifying decision by Lowe.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
It is frustrating and help clearly needed at the back - somehow need to sign someone with leadership qualities, more than anything else. At the moment, when things go against us no one seems to take charge on the pitch and nervousness creeps in. On the plus side Camara and the Jephcott/Hardie combination improving all the time - Keep the faith.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Balham_Green":21vl1jhs said:
Aims on gets the blame but second goal was Moore's fault. Got done in Midfield when he should have been left wb anyway. Left massive gap for them to exploit. Why was Grant taken off anyway? Another mystifying decision by Lowe.

Agree re. Grant. He was excellent in the first half. Byron Moore is not good enough at this level.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
WidewellGreen":26nn5dco said:
That game was completely devoid of any desire.

I didn't see 1 second ball won. Not one 50/50. I lost count of the unchallenged headers. The second goal the player just walked right through the middle of us.

It wasn't the worst performance I've seen, but maybe one of the most gutless.
This is a fair point and a moment that sticks in my mind to sum it up is when we had a throw in in around the 91st minute - no one makes any attempt to move off the ball other than Nouble half-heartedly trying to get across his man. We end up losing it.

I bang on about tactics probably far too much on here, but failing to do basic things like that is just not on. It's the minimum requirement.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
far too much sideways and back passing.we get pressed whenever we play like this.play as we did against charlton and we will win more than lose.very frustrating.the defence and midfield need strengthening.randell back from torquay please argyle.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Back to square one, consistently inconsistent.

Camara didn't deserve to lose that game, he gave everything.

After the game Lowe had an exchange of views with a fan pitchside on the Lyndhurst side, I didn't know what was said but it didn't look friendly and bizarre for Lowe to walk over to that area.

It was a battle of wills, the first half was enjoyable and almost a game of chess with Oxford pressing us and stopping our defence from passing around and forcing us to go long knowing that the Oxford centre backs would win the ball.
Our game plan was to beat the press and leave half of the Oxford team in our half which is exactly what happened for our first goal.
It was good work by Mayor and Hardie on the left, Hardie crossed and Camara fired into the roof of the net.

For another 15 minutes or so we looked a good team with the second goal surely not far away.
Unfortunately it was Oxford who scored the next goal and it was a soft goal to concede. We didn't deal with a set-piece and suddenly it was 1-1.

Oxford were now the better team and nearly scored a second goal.

For five minutes of the second half we looked good again but we didn't have a hold in midfield and we struggled to contain the Oxford runners.
From one of these runs right through our midfield came the Oxford second goal.
It was too easy.

Edwards then cleared off the line.

The Oxford centre-backs were the two best players on the pitch and easily dealt with our attacks.

Aimson stupidly gave away a penalty when there was no need to make the tackle and it's 3-1 and supposedly fortress Home Park is looking like a wet sand castle.

We did manage to get around the Oxford defence and substitution Byron Moore was brought down and the Hux gave another penalty, our first of the season.
Who would take it? Up stepped Jephcott for what seemed like his only touch of the ball in the second half to thump it in the roof of the net. 2-3.

We had some late pressure but with a free-kick and a corner why was Fornah taking these? They were both poor efforts just as we looked for an equaliser. Someone like Mayor should have took responsibility for those two late set-pieces. Is Grant and George Cooper the only two players able to take set-pieces?

We played like an away team which is a shame because for the first 20 minutes or so we were so good.

Camara had a storming game, especially in the first half and is on course to be player of the season.

Hardie did well with his runs but struggled with high balls against the Oxford centre-backs.

Mayor was in and out of the game, much like the team he's inconsistent.
Macleod is neat and tidy but isn't strong enough.

The whole team has a soft underbelly, we are too nice to play against and it shows because we haven't come from behind to win a game this season.

Nouble lacked any effort when he came on, there's just no determination from him.
Jephcott was very quiet although he was well marshalled by the Oxford defenders.

We finished the game with 3 strikers and Mayor at wing-back.

You have to say Lowe was tactically outwitted.

Man of the match - Camara.

Cooper 6, Aimson 5, Canavan 5, Watts 6, Macleod 6, Edwards 6, Camara 8, Mayor 5, Grant 6, Jephcott 5, Hardie 6. Subs - Moore 7, Nouble 5, Fornah n/a, Telford n/a.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Frustrating game to watch.

Camara was everywhere, winning balls strongly, moving for passes. Definitely MoTM by far.

Oxford had 1 approach and that was to rush everything. Their first goal came because the ball was put into a spot with 3 of their players. They swarmed the ball and there was no hope of defending it.

From there they worked out if they forced us to play it'll either go backwards, sideways or to an Oxford player.

There was too much dillydallying on the edge of the box and they just overpowered us with numbers all the time.

Simple truth is, we set the stall out early, hence the good starts to games, but once we're worked out that's it, lucky if we can hang onto a lead.

Need to find more strategies we can move into when plan A doesn't work.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We all know we have problems at the back but I actually thought the issue today was that we needed to build on our lead whilst Oxford’s defence were on the ropes but instead of staying on the front foot & killing it we went flat & let them drag themselves back into it.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":w98xdp1h said:
Back to square one, consistently inconsistent.

Camara didn't deserve to lose that game, he gave everything.

After the game Lowe had an exchange of views with a fan pitchside on the Lyndhurst side, I didn't know what was said but it didn't look friendly and bizarre for Lowe to walk over to that area.

It was a battle of wills, the first half was enjoyable and almost a game of chess with Oxford pressing us and stopping our defence from passing around and forcing us to go long knowing that the Oxford centre backs would win the ball.
Our game plan was to beat the press and leave half of the Oxford team in our half which is exactly what happened for our first goal.
It was good work by Mayor and Hardie on the left, Hardie crossed and Camara the ball into the roof of the net.

For another 15 minutes or so we looked a good team with the second goal not far away.
Unfortunately it was Oxford who scored the next goal and it was a side goal to concede. We didn't deal with a set-piece and it was suddenly 1-1.

Oxford were now the better team and nearly scored a second goal.

For five minutes of the second half we looked good again but we didn't have a hold in midfield and we struggled to contain the Oxford runners.
From one of these runs right through our midfield came the Oxford second goal.
It was too easy.

The Oxford centre-backs were the two best players on the pitch and easily dealt with our attacks.

Aimson stupidly gave away a penalty when there was no need to make the tackle and it's 3-1 and supposedly fortress Home Park is looking like a wet sand castle.

We did manage to get around the Oxford defence and substitution Byron Moore was brought down and the Hux gave another penalty, our first of the season.
Who would take it? Up stepped Jephcott for what seemed like his only touch of the ball in the second half to thump it in the roof of the net. 2-3.

We had some late pressure but with a free-kick and a corner why was Fornah taking these? They were both poor efforts just as we looked for an equaliser. Someone like Mayor should have took responsibility for those two late set-pieces. Is Grant and George Cooper the only two players able to take set-pieces?

Camara had a storming game, especially in the first half and is on course to be player of the season.

Hardie did well with his runs but struggled with high balls against the Oxford centre-backs.

Mayor was in and out of the game, much like the team he's inconsistent.
Macleod is neat and tidy but isn't strong enough.

The whole team has a soft underbelly, we are too nice to play against and it shows because we haven't come from behind to win a game this season.

Nouble lacked any effort when he came on, there's just no determination from him.
Jephcott was very quiet although he was well marshalled by the Oxford defenders.

We finished the game with 3 strikers and Mayor at wing-back.

You have to say Lowe was tactically outwitted.

Man of the match - Camara.

Cooper 6, Aimson 5, Canavan 5, Watts 6, Macleod 6, Edwards 6, Camara 8, Mayor 5, Grant 6, Jephcott 5, Hardie 6. Subs - Moore 7, Nouble 5, Fornah n/a, Telford n/a.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
That game shows exactly why I fear we are going down.

1) No leader on the pitch
2) We have only one centre back of consistent league one status
3) We are so slow at getting loose balls
4) We have nothing on the bench to change a game (taking Grant off for Moore directly cost us the second goal)
5) Mayor isn’t able to influence a game when there is no quality around him and his head drops
6) Our wing backs are not able to make any impact
7) Are tippy tippy sideways backwards is not suited to our players ability vs league 1 opponents
8) We get turned over in every second half when a team works out how to play us.
9) Lowe is out of his depth and struggling to adjust to problems. (Not saying I want him out)

Are we awful? Probably not, but we have played two more home games than away and we are looking downwards. We need either better players and / or our manager to adapt. Still a long way to go, but either something changes or we are in deep trouble.

Aug 11, 2013
Don’t think we were doing great but on the other hand not too badly ... until the subs. Then it all went wrong. Our defence is frail enough without changing things at the back unnecessarily. Their second does not happen if Grant is still on the pitch.

Personally I would have stuck with the starting line up until as late in a game as possible as that is near our strongest team. Any subs to that starting line up weakens us .. and so it turned out. Worse - don’t change defenders in an already weak defence mid-game.

Nouble could be given a wheelbarrow with a hexagon shaped pillar of stone in it and be told to run around and direct the barrow towards the ball for all the use he is as a target man. Hopeless - absolutely hopeless - but Lowe persists ? Inexplicable he doesn’t see what everyone else sees. He’s a player you bring on away from home when you’re winning to maybe hold the ball in the corner to waste time. That’s his only attribute. He will change games - but not for the better.

If you are going to sub Hardie - which was a mistake in my opinion - maybe a straight swap for Moore and leave the defence alone but Hardie should stay as not only has he an eye for goal he creates for others. A knackered Hardie is worth two Frank Noubles.

I’ve been a critic of Mike Cooper - shouldn’t he have been braver for the first? - shouldn’t he do better for second too?

Lowe cost us at least a point with his subs there.

And then Danny Mayor who can’t hit a barn door - He so miscued his shot when it was easier to score that it hit Jephers and nearly knocked him over - that did make me let out an ironic laugh ... but that moment summed up this season so far - mainly disappointing.