Canavan joins Bradford | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Canavan joins Bradford

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Just to update a stat from a few weeks ago.

Goals conceded per 90 mins when playing at centre back this season:

Canavan 1.42
Watts 1.69
Aimson 1.72
Wootton 1.72
Opoku 1.82

Criminally, criminally underrated centre back. No further comment.

Aug 24, 2009
League 2 player, Far to slow, often plays the game at walking pace, much better players around and if we got a fee all the better. Wooton is a better player and much quicker but is also prone to a few mistakes so he should also be on his way up the M5, neither are good enough.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
No brainer for him, if it's a long deal and he sounds like he is actually a Bradford fan.

In all the behind the scenes footage, he seems like a real character and leader though, so we absolutely need a replacement (or two).

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Dan Ellard":2bd5shor said:

Canavan 1.42
Watts 1.69
Aimson 1.72
Wootton 1.72
Opoku 1.82

Conceding 1.4 goals a game does not make him criminally under rated. It shows how terrible our defence has been this season that you think his stats are good. The rest are shocking.

Jun 27, 2019
Dan Ellard":m4o0fckd said:

Canavan 1.42
Watts 1.69
Aimson 1.72
Wootton 1.72
Opoku 1.82

Think you're over-egging the pudding just a tad there, Dan. He may or may not be better than our other defenders, but the point is none of them are very good and we aren't going to challenge until they've all moved on and been replaced with League One quality.

This is the start of that essential process.

Jul 14, 2008
Dan Ellard":3gwvzyxy said:

Canavan 1.42
Watts 1.69
Aimson 1.72
Wootton 1.72
Opoku 1.82

Maybe the best of a bad bunch but none of them are particularly good at league 1 level are they? No one is likely to come in for Wootton so if by selling Canavan we can bring in someone better then that can only be a good thing. But we must sign someone with experience, not just another youngster.

Dec 30, 2020
I thought he was 80% of a good player - strong, good in the air, read the game well but always on the brink of an inexplicable howler, which often cost us

(eg failing to see the ball out v Rochdale a few weeks ago... also remember him giving the ball away for Gillingham's 3rd goal when we lost 3-1 there in our 2018/19, and gifting Peterborough possession for their first goal in the 5-1 home defeat in the same season. There are probably other examples).

But good on him for helping to put the relegation right last year, when he was a consistently solid performer. Strange though it may be to speak of a transfer to Bradford in such terms, it sounds like it's a bit of a dream move for him. If he finds himself back at Home Park in the future (please God, not for a League 2 game), I'd be happy to see him receive a smattering of mild applause.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Didnt see that coming but it sounds like he might not to be offered a new contract in the summer and he sounded very keen to join Bradford.With a longer contract and being back with his family who can blaim him
He did seem to be one of the few leaders in the club and was probably our best defender so thats of some concern

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Over a season, the difference between Canavan and Opoku's average is 18 goals. That's colossal.

I have no doubt that his average would be even better than 1.4 if we had better centre-backs playing alongside him, and had a better screen than Fornah playing in front of him. I cant justify that with stats obviously, but its not rocket science to say that with a better team we'd concede even fewer.

I struggle to see how people think he's not the best of the 5 that have played this season. That stat cannot be a coincidence - the sample size is too big for it to be random. If it was a few games, fine. But half a season? Not a coincidence.

Lowe needs to have a very good upgrade lined up. Canavan has only had 2 absolute shockers playing for us - Peterborough in 2018, and Rochdale this season. I assume that those who think he's cr*p are choosing to focus on those games. I'll be focusing on every game he's played for us.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We are not going to get promoted this season and we shouldn't get relegated, it's a containing midtable season, so the next 5 months should be used to build for next season and this is the start of that.
Lowe might want to bring players in to see if they are good enough for next season, like he did with Hardie last season.

It shows how football has changed when an 18 month contract is deemed as security.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Best centre back at the club, not difficult to be honest, but it’s probably a no brainer for him, move back home, a longer deal, DA maybe incoming to Bradford. Makes sense, now to shift a couple of the others out and upgrade ASAP.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
(And yes, I did get drawn into commenting again after saying "no further comment" :D

I'm not saying he's anywhere near as good as Bradley, or Vyner. But selling the best centre back we have (unless, as I said, it was for personal reasons) is just unfathomable. He's probably the only L1 standard centre back we have.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Liskeard Green":1ca8btm1 said:
I might have to turn my official club calendar over before the end of the month! :facepalm:

Lol yes, the curse of the calendar!