Canavan joins Bradford | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Canavan joins Bradford

May 22, 2006
vibratingspider":n8jrnbhj said:
Reserving judgement on this one until we see who is poised to fill his shoes (or boots, rather). Rated him as a bit of a defensive leader and always came across as a decent chap in interviews. Shame to see him go but it sounds like we couldn't really stand in his way. Good luck Niall!

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Best of luck to him at Bantams.

Hoping that this is a sign that we have a really solid defender from a league or two above to replace him. Currently we are in a weaker position without Niall but hopeful that that will soon be rectified.

Emu":1s48x4yj said:
davie nine":1s48x4yj said:
I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if RL hasn’t already got at least one experienced, well organised centre back lined up as a replacement for Canavan.

That's the way I see it too. I don't think Lowe would have let him go unless there was a replacement lined up. We shall see in the next couple of days.

I think this thread just goes to show how poor our defenders have been this season that the fanbase is split many ways as to who is our best (least worst) defender is.

Someone in the Elliott Ward type mould when Pulis got him in on loan would be a good start.

I know it was a very brief spell, but I still rate Ward as the best defensive player I’ve ever seen play for us.

May 7, 2019
Well that was a surprise! I did not see that coming but can understand the transfer from the point of view of all parties concerned. Good luck to Niall and I hope he does well at Bradford. I watched the players in pre-season training at HP (fine dining experience) and I have to say that Niall looked one of the fittest and strongest players in the Argyle squad. He seems to have a positive character for the dressing room also. That stoppage time goal against Stevenage will live long in the memory! :scarf: So Argyle picked up a fee for a player who likely would have left in 6 months' time, Canavan gets to go back up North with his family, and Bradford get a quality League Two defender. And Argyle free up salary cap space. Why not?

League One is definitely a step up from League Two however and it's the pace of the strikers that I think we have found it difficult to cope with. I have always been a big defender (no pun intended) of Niall but the Rochdale game really soured my views of our defensive unit generally. Too easy that day.

Has Opoku's loan been extended past January? I know Watts is here for the season. I see these two players as having great upside. Although last time I said that, we got hammered by Fleetwood. However, I think they will both play in the top two leagues of the English game. I suppose it's the relationship you have when loaning young players from higher divisions - they are young and will make errors. They're making errors at Argyle and not Newcastle or Fulham. Good for them, bad for us. But we then have access to these players and, with the right coaching, they have the ability to perform at a level that other players perhaps could not (that Argyle can afford).

Having seen Aimson from the Devonport End, I think he is a good defender at this level. He is only 27 so has a lot of good years ahead of him. He was a revelation when he was fit enough to come in to the team last season and I can see why Lowe really wanted to bring him down from Bury. He's got something but needs to cut out the silly errors.

Which brings me on to Wooton. Did he play DCM for Argyle vs Huddersfield at the end or was it just me? Is that a crazy idea if McLeod or Fornah are injured/unavailable/subbed? Wooton is quite confident on the ball and passes it well. I like the security of him not being the last man. Stranger things have happened when players have tried out new positions but I suppose he's 29... maybe a bit late for a change... :coat:

Sawyer will return to fitness but I sincerely worry about his pace in League One. Perhaps that coaching role beckons...

Ultimately, I think it's important to remember that Lowe's system puts the three CBs under constant pressure both from a defensive sense and from a need to play the ball out from the back in a positive manner. It would be interesting to note how well these defenders would play in a 4-4-2 with CM protection and a more defensively minded manager.

Leo's Grandad

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I don't really rate any of our current centre backs so am not too upset by this departure.

We need one preferably two CBs who are strong leaders and can command a defence, head a ball, has a bit of pace and can score a goal when needed - all for little/no money..

A Russell Coughlan style plater would suit me.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Leo's Grandad":tn82l7xn said:
I don't really rate any of our current centre backs so am not too upset by this departure.

We need one preferably two CBs who are strong leaders and can command a defence, head a ball, has a bit of pace and can score a goal when needed - all for little/no money..

Would like a Russell Coughlin in midfield but would prefer a Graham Coughlan at the back tbh! ;)

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Leo's Grandad":2sdqkw96 said:

Did you mean Graham?

Apr 4, 2004
Leo's Grandad":7k0edqkg said:

I think I'd prefer a Graham Coughlan type :scarf:

Having said that, just because he was perfect for us in that era doesn't mean he'd be perfect now. Who knows.

Dec 30, 2020
Dan Ellard":ux92a98j said:
Just to update a stat from a few weeks ago.

Goals conceded per 90 mins when playing at centre back this season:

Canavan 1.42
Watts 1.69
Aimson 1.72
Wootton 1.72
Opoku 1.82

Criminally, criminally underrated centre back. No further comment.

I probably agree that Canavan is (was) one of our best three defenders, but your stats don't control for multiple variable factors.

For example, 7 of the 10 league games Opoku has started came against teams currently in the top half of the table. For Canavan, the figure is 4 out of 10.

Opoku has started 4 league home games and 6 away, Canavan 7 home and 3 away.

When you attempt to control for difficulty of games in order to make the comparison fairer, we actually concede fewer with Opoku in the side.

In league away games, it's 1.9 goals conceded per 90 minutes with Opoku vs 2.1 with Canavan and for games against current top half teams it's 1.7 Opoku vs 2.2 Canavan.

(I don't think my stats prove a great deal either - other than that football isn't a precise science and it's usually worth looking under the bonnet of any statistic.)

Aug 5, 2015
If Lowe was planning on ditching him in the summer for nothing, it makes perfect sense to let him go now for something. Good luck to him though he wasn’t that bad. I’ve seen far worse over the years.

Mar 14, 2009
Personally think it’s a great deal for everyone.

Great for him as he has more security. Good for Bradford as they getting a guy who isn’t a bad league two defender.

Good news for Argyle. They getting a fee for a player who less face it shouldn’t of been given a new contract at start of this season. For whilst he is OK, he isn’t a good league one defender. When comparing him to other CB’s we should think about people like Bradley as that’s the standard we now need to find.

He always puts effort in. Tried his best every game. However, he is slow for a team who play a high line. For a big guy he wasn’t commanding in either box. Simply, he wasn’t good enough at league one level.

Oct 24, 2010
I liked Canavan, he is a very good footballer but he lacks pace and is not great in the air for someone his size. It's a good move for him and I'm sure we all wish him the best of luck but it is an opportunity for us to upgrade.

Oct 10, 2012
Give me all the stats you want.

This guy was absolutely awful for us and I’m so glad we’ve robbed Bradford of some money.

Get rid of Wootton and even if we don’t sign replacements I’d say this has been a good transfer window.

Let’s get some good centre backs, build from the back and push on from now.

Apr 4, 2004
I am really glad Lowe gave him his oppertunity, he earned it. It would have been wrong to deny him that chance. But our defence has been very leaky so something has to change. I reckon he was excellent in league 2. But not ideally suited to playing in a back three. Particularly a league up where there is a lot more quality around. Good luck Nail.