Canavan joins Bradford | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Canavan joins Bradford

Jun 27, 2019
Dan Ellard":32747obc said:
(And yes, I did get drawn into commenting again after saying "no further comment" :D

I'm not saying he's anywhere near as good as Bradley, or Vyner. But selling the best centre back we have (unless, as I said, it was for personal reasons) is just unfathomable. He's probably the only L1 standard centre back we have.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter what any of us think of his abilities because it sounds like he was desperate to leave and - reading between the lines - probably even engineered the move himself.

We need players who are fully committed to the cause and he wasn't.

Hopefully his replacement is a significant upgrade.

Jul 12, 2016
Dan Ellard":25ylcmul said:
Just to update a stat from a few weeks ago.

Goals conceded per 90 mins when playing at centre back this season:

Canavan 1.42
Watts 1.69
Aimson 1.72
Wootton 1.72
Opoku 1.82

Criminally, criminally underrated centre back. No further comment.
He was certainly the best of the bunch and his absence will weaken an already suspect defence. Let's hope we can find a better replacement or we are in big trouble.

Keith Whitfield

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 30, 2015
Didn't see that one coming! Wonder if Ryan Lowe did? It causes a short term headache as Canavan is our best organiser at the back and there's no one to step into the role. It could be a blessing in the long term, though, as it seems that he was on his way out of the club at season's end, and it's likely that they have someone else lined up for the role. Argyle have been good over the years at attracting defensive organisers - Newman, Saxton, Provan, Cocko, Bradley - so let's hope that the new "boss at the back" is ready to pick up his boots and come on down.

Oct 20, 2015
Dan Ellard":3hm1lgy6 said:
(And yes, I did get drawn into commenting again after saying "no further comment" :D

I'm not saying he's anywhere near as good as Bradley, or Vyner. But selling the best centre back we have (unless, as I said, it was for personal reasons) is just unfathomable. He's probably the only L1 standard centre back we have.

I think I'm with you on this Dan. The only way this can work out well for us is if RL signs two CBs who are better than Canavan. And he's got about two weeks to do it.

It doesn't make any sense - we need vocal leader at the back and he was as close as we get. And as you've pointed out, his stats are better than any other CB in the squad. MoM at least once last season, too.

So undeniably a big loss at a time when we need more, not less, defensive players.

I do wonder if there's any truth in the talk about RL being too matey with his players. Surely it would have been better to say to Niall: "Understand you want to go, but we need you for another five months. You can go in the summer."

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Heā€™s shown this season he is barely League One standard on a good day, and is absolutely not on a bad day. Turning down a fee for him wouldā€™ve been madness.

Having said that, our other central defenders are bad.

I think the quality of this decision rests purely on how well the replacement does.

But getting a fee for a guy who 100% would leave for free in June seems like smart business to me.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Larry David":336113yz said:
Best centre back at the club, not difficult to be honest, but itā€™s probably a no brainer for him, move back home, a longer deal, DA maybe incoming to Bradford. Makes sense, now to shift a couple of the others out and upgrade ASAP.

Wil Aimson is clearly the best defender at the club.

Aug 5, 2016
slingsby_pobble":nmjcykbj said:
Dan Ellard":nmjcykbj said:

I think I'm with you on this Dan. The only way this can work out well for us is if RL signs two CBs who are better than Canavan. And he's got about two weeks to do it.

It doesn't make any sense - we need vocal leader at the back and he was as close as we get. And as you've pointed out, his stats are better than any other CB in the squad. MoM at least once last season, too.

So undeniably a big loss at a time when we need more, not less, defensive players.

I do wonder if there's any truth in the talk about RL being too matey with his players. Surely it would have been better to say to Niall: "Understand you want to go, but we need you for another five months. You can go in the summer."

I don't think Lowe would have let him go unless there was a replacement lined up. Canavan was in Lowe's preferred back 3, not a player he considered expendable e.g. Abraham.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Nobby":q218zj7d said:
Heā€™s shown this season he is barely League One standard on a good day, and is absolutely not on a bad day. Turning down a fee for him wouldā€™ve been madness.

Having said that, our other central defenders are bad.

I think the quality of this decision rests purely on how well the replacement does.

But getting a fee for a guy who 100% would leave for free in June seems like smart business to me.

This is how I see it too. Good business to get a fee for a guy that seemingly didn't want to be here any more.

I liked Niall, was a good leader and seemed a character off the field. However I don't think he was our best centre back - that's Watts who has stepped up after a shaky start. All the others are, however, substandard.

I don't see what Aimson brings. Always out of position and deserving of the "Aimless" nickname he had at Bury. Covers his tracks with last minute blocks but to me that's evidence of someone that's already made a mistake.

Wootton shouldn't be near a CB position in this league. Opoku the jury is still out.

As Nobby said, the quality of replacement will determine whether this is a good or bad decision.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
Always rated him over Wootton or Aimson.

Heā€™s decent player the correct way but lacks pace so playing in a 3 man defence with wingbacks out of position isnā€™t his best attribute.

Good luck to him. Shame really because that possible means Wootton will stay now and heā€™s the one I think is the weak link as a CB.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if RL hasnā€™t already got at least one experienced, well organised centre back lined up as a replacement for Canavan.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Reserving judgement on this one until we see who is poised to fill his shoes (or boots, rather). Rated him as a bit of a defensive leader and always came across as a decent chap in interviews. Shame to see him go but it sounds like we couldn't really stand in his way. Good luck Niall!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
davie nine":nq60og5j said:
I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if RL hasnā€™t already got at least one experienced, well organised centre back lined up as a replacement for Canavan.

That's the way I see it too. I don't think Lowe would have let him go unless there was a replacement lined up. We shall see in the next couple of days.

I think this thread just goes to show how poor our defenders have been this season that the fanbase is split many ways as to who is our best (least worst) defender is.

Someone in the Elliott Ward type mould when Pulis got him in on loan would be a good start.