Canavan joins Bradford | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Canavan joins Bradford

Jan 27, 2012
Out of the poor defenders that Derek Adams signed in his final season, Canavan was the best of that bad bunch. I’m not too sorry to see him go, provided Argyle have a better player lined up to replace him. Hopefully a defender with pace.

May 8, 2011
Bit of a worrying trend in that it is now 3 players in less than a year who have opted to return ‘home’ rather than stay at Argyle despite all the apparent positivity surrounding Argyle.

Oct 31, 2015
HC Green":2ibpvyre said:
Bit of a worrying trend in that it is now 3 players in less than a year who have opted to return ‘home’ rather than stay at Argyle despite all the apparent positivity surrounding Argyle.

Not really.

I think it was Steve Castles interview (it could have been someone else not sure) where he said most Players come to Argyle for a couple of season then return home. A lot of players rent apartments or share houses and keep their young families back home (wherever that is).

Niall obviously told he wasn't getting another contract so has looked for stability. I don't think Fadz has a team yet so put his family first.

May 3, 2017
rsp4":2djmmdj6 said:
HC Green":2djmmdj6 said:

Not really.

I think it was Steve Castles interview (it could have been someone else not sure) where he said most Players come to Argyle for a couple of season then return home. A lot of players rent apartments or share houses and keep their young families back home (wherever that is).

Niall obviously told he wasn't getting another contract so has looked for stability. I don't think Fadz has a team yet so put his family first.

Fadz is at Sunderland now I believe but I take your point.

Truro Pilgrim

✅ Evergreen
Apr 17, 2015
Dan Ellard":1xztbz77 said:
Struggling to stop conceding goals? I know, let's sell the best centre back we have.

(Unless this was for personal reasons) What on EARTH is Lowe playing at. Canavan wasn't brilliant, but he's better than the others!!!

I hope we're shifting out a few more and bringing in 2 or 3 new ones now, otherwise we've just made ourselves weaker.

Think it was because he's got a young family away from Plymouth

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
greenpilled":1y5jr35e said:
Dan Ellard":1y5jr35e said:
Just to update a stat from a few weeks ago.

Goals conceded per 90 mins when playing at centre back this season:

Canavan 1.42
Watts 1.69
Aimson 1.72
Wootton 1.72
Opoku 1.82

Criminally, criminally underrated centre back. No further comment.

I probably agree that Canavan is (was) one of our best three defenders, but your stats don't control for multiple variable factors.

For example, 7 of the 10 league games Opoku has started came against teams currently in the top half of the table. For Canavan, the figure is 4 out of 10.

Opoku has started 4 league home games and 6 away, Canavan 7 home and 3 away.

When you attempt to control for difficulty of games in order to make the comparison fairer, we actually concede fewer with Opoku in the side.

In league away games, it's 1.9 goals conceded per 90 minutes with Opoku vs 2.1 with Canavan and for games against current top half teams it's 1.7 Opoku vs 2.2 Canavan.

(I don't think my stats prove a great deal either - other than that football isn't a precise science and it's usually worth looking under the bonnet of any statistic.)

This is useful info.. shows more than just a simple goals against. Cheers :thumbup:

Aug 8, 2013
Thought Canavan was the best of an admittedly poor bunch,
and came over as a pleasant and intelligent individual in interviews.
I can see him as a manager in future.
Several posters have stated that there are much better players
"out there" and "around", which in itself is the problem; they are
"out there" and "around", with no sign at the moment of any of them
coming to Home Park. I have a suspicion that Lowe has been
blindsided by this one, and actually has nobody lined up as a
replacement. I very much hope I'm wrong, as we are now very
thin at the back, and injuries or suspensions will have us grovelling.

C

Cult Of Personality

Hopefully Argyle can fill the void that his moving onwards will cause .

I think we are struggling for cash flow and could see more movement .

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Kentishgreen":111lwjyn said:
If Lowe was planning on ditching him in the summer for nothing, it makes perfect sense to let him go now for something. Good luck to him though he wasn’t that bad. I’ve seen far worse over the years.

Can I just say, Kentishgreen, that as a jobbing actor I would consider that to be one of my better reviews... :lol:

Jul 12, 2016
Gary S":gga7ha1y said:
Thought Canavan was the best of an admittedly poor bunch,
and came over as a pleasant and intelligent individual in interviews.
I can see him as a manager in future.
Several posters have stated that there are much better players
"out there" and "around", which in itself is the problem; they are
"out there" and "around", with no sign at the moment of any of them
coming to Home Park. I have a suspicion that Lowe has been
blindsided by this one, and actually has nobody lined up as a
replacement. I very much hope I'm wrong, as we are now very
thin at the back, and injuries or suspensions will have us grovelling.
I would be disappointed if Lowe hasn't already identified replacement defenders.Even he must see that the current players are not up to the task and haven't been since we got promoted.

Feb 8, 2005
Be fair, Oldage, things were going to plan until we hit that string of defeats. Had our form continued I doubt that we would be thinking about our defence, although it would have needed to be improved upon in order to improve upon our mid-table position.

That has now come to a head and we have the opportunity to improve if we can.
January isn't the best month to get incomings. We shall see.