Canavan joins Bradford | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Canavan joins Bradford

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
As far as I see it, that’s a win for all involved. Argyle get a small fee for a player out of contract in the summer, releasing salary funds for a hopefully better replacement. The lad himself gets to play for a big club who happen to be his boyhood team and Bradford get the better of our L2 defenders. Shame they didn’t go for the BOGOF deal and take Wootton too. Argyle drastically need defensive reinforcements and I hope RL has at least two in mind.

Jun 27, 2019
jimsing":b72ivhah said:
Be fair, Oldage, things were going to plan until we hit that string of defeats. Had our form continued I doubt that we would be thinking about our defence, although it would have needed to be improved upon in order to improve upon our mid-table position.

I think that's the key point. Our current defence is probably just about okay for a mid-table finish so long as we keep scoring at the other end. If we want to push on, however, we're a million miles away from the required standard.

Could anyone on here imagine a club at the top end of League One wanting Canavan, Wootton or Aimson? Same goes for Watts and Opoku. They might take them as squad players, but we use them as regular starters and that's why we're where we are.

As I've said before, it's been so long since we've had a proper centre-back that I think we've forgotten what one looks like.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I wish I had your confidence that our current defence is just about ok for a mid table finish. If we don’t strengthen I think we will have a real fight on to stay up.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
WoodsyGreen":y9ot5gat said:
jimsing":y9ot5gat said:
Be fair, Oldage, things were going to plan until we hit that string of defeats. Had our form continued I doubt that we would be thinking about our defence, although it would have needed to be improved upon in order to improve upon our mid-table position.

I think that's the key point. Our current defence is probably just about okay for a mid-table finish so long as we keep scoring at the other end. If we want to push on, however, we're a million miles away from the required standard.

Could anyone on here imagine a club at the top end of League One wanting Canavan, Wootton or Aimson? Same goes for Watts and Opoku. They might take them as squad players, but we use them as regular starters and that's why we're where we are.

As I've said before, it's been so long since we've had a proper centre-back that I think we've forgotten what one looks like.

Woodsy - I a really think that despite a couple early poorer performances and also being played out of position at LB that Kell Watts is a good player. I find he is comfortable on the ball and brings the ball out of defence and starts of numerous attacks and fits the model that Lowe is trying to play. I’d personally like it if we tried to sign him permanently if at all possible.

Jun 27, 2019
Larry David":2uebpztz said:
I wish I had your confidence that our current defence is just about ok for a mid table finish. If we don’t strengthen I think we will have a real fight on to stay up.

Well, it's more the fact that we are actually mid-table at the moment than any actual confidence on my part. Whether we can stay there is another matter altogether.

Jun 27, 2019
JannerinCardiff":3ekdkcdy said:
WoodsyGreen":3ekdkcdy said:
jimsing":3ekdkcdy said:

Woodsy - I a really think that despite a couple early poorer performances and also being played out of position at LB that Kell Watts is a good player. I find he is comfortable on the ball and brings the ball out of defence and starts of numerous attacks and fits the model that Lowe is trying to play. I’d personally like it if we tried to sign him permanently if at all possible.

Yes, I would agree with that. He's had to adapt to playing in a back three and has had several different players at LWB to get used to. That's a not inconsiderable challenge for a youngster.

Oct 31, 2015
WoodsyGreen":48hmj7yk said:
jimsing":48hmj7yk said:

Sonny was probably our last real/good CB.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
As well as needing a couple of decent defenders, if I were Lowe I’d be really going at Hallett big time to approve the appointment of a proper defence coach. Don’t know if anybody specifically takes that role at present, but it’s an area that needs somebody like Sloop Blackley was for Sturrock, not just at Argyle.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
rsp4":2btm3s3x said:
WoodsyGreen":2btm3s3x said:
jimsing":2btm3s3x said:

Sonny was probably our last real/good CB.

Agreed. The failure to replace him adequately was a main factor in our relegation.

The two transfer windows in 18/19 have to go down (fairly comfortably) as the worst in our recent history.

Jul 12, 2016
jimsing":2uzfi7bp said:

That has now come to a head and we have the opportunity to improve if we can.
January isn't the best month to get incomings. We shall see.
I am being fair. No way is our defence good enough for league 1 the concerns were there last season. Incidentally we are in the bottom half of the table.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
That’s a great quote by Jimsing “Things were going to plan until we hit that string of defeats” :lol: I wonder if Wilder has used that one?

Must be referring to the six away league defeats and the 4-0 home hammering by Rochdale. Third leakiest defence in L1.
Oldage is right, the signs were there last season and were pointed out by the more astute of us during the euphoria of promotion.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
davie nine":27igc8xh said:
I would suggest that, like most of us, sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong, that’s all.

Well quite, but this thread was discussing the defensive issues. Those of us who questioned whether the defence had the qualities required for L1 back in the summer were criticised and have been proved to be right. I only wish Lowe had been a bit more astute in putting his defence together for this season. The goals against column tells its own tale.