Changes for next week | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Changes for next week

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
I would drop Josh Grant to be fair, he looked quality at the start of the season but too many mistakes lately im afraid.

Upfront i'd drop rudden and bring either Moore or Clarke in. Clarke can score goals.

Lowe is being too stubborn and we definitely need a plan B. Teams have got us sussed and know exactly how we play!! What manager doesn't have a plan b or even c or d????

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
argyleforever":tk1ciyrp said:
Lowe is being too stubborn and we definitely need a plan B. Teams have got us sussed and know exactly how we play!! What manager doesn't have a plan b or even c or d????

You say this, but actually the last 3/4 games we've been playing noticeably more direct.

I think Lowe has flexibility in his approach to different games and I wouldn't say we are necessarily predictable. For me his problem thus far seems to be tactically shifting things during games. If we don't score first, teams are happy to sit in deep and counter. If we were more direct and got some balls into the box, we may have more chance.

Whilst I admire the way that Lowe is trying to play and we have seen in games we can win playing that way (particularly at home), I think away from home we need to look at the way we setup because at this point its not working. I've said it plenty of times, but away from home I'd play a back four with proper wingers. Our wing backs get caught too high up in the current setup and our defence is too ropey to deal with it. It'd allow us to get both Cooper and Mayor in without sacrificing Sarcevic, and Baxter could come into a midfield three with Edwards and Sarce to help us control the ball more.

I still have confidence that this side will be in the top 7 come May. Lowe's comments appear to be what has rubbed people up the wrong way. I've never understood why so much weight is put on what the manager says to the press, it was the same with Fletcher, Adams etc. After the shambles of last season, Lowe came in extremely confident, trying to lift the fans and make us excited about the season. It's exactly what he should have done. Imagine if he'd come in and said; 'It's going to take time to rebuild and we need to be realistic'. He'd have got slaughtered for that too. He tried to talk up Danny Mayor, who has been good, if not great so far. But if you looked at the pining over Lameiras and Carey on Social Media, he was right to point out that we've got excellent players here. I mean, we've still got posters on here talking about Sonny Bradley!

He's in managerial terms a bit of a rookie and he'll learn to temper expectations as these comments have bitten him in the arse a bit. But I get the impression from comments on this site and social media, that there is a real element of fans that whilst wanting the club to succeed (obviously), don't care if Ryan Lowe is the guy that makes it happen. Supporting the club, but not the manager almost. Why? Not sure. In parts, because people wanted Holloway - or someone else - to be in charge and can't get over the fact he isn't. In large parts, I think it's because the pain of last season is still fresh and there is an impatience for us to get back to L1 at the first attempt. So it's a mountain out of as molehill every time there's a bad result or performance.

I'm certainly not delighted with how we've started the season. We're extremely inconsistent, our away form isn't up to scratch and tactically we're not flexible enough during games. But we're also playing some great football, scoring goals and sat just outside of the playoffs and it's not even November yet. This is with a new manager, new style and largely a new squad, which has been affected by injury.

Yesterday was poo in every sense, but if we bounce back and go on another run of results and climb the table then it'll soon be forgotten. The challenge for the players and staff now is to show that they've got the determination and quality to do it.

Lesley Somerville

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
What a sensible comment from Nobby, and I agree with every word. We most definitely have been playing more direct in the last few games. Having watched the 'highlights' from yesterday, the lack of pressing was what I noticed, along with Josh Grant's ridiculous dithering which led to the penalty. And we are too slow to get forward sometimes. It feels like a lack of urgency, and that was part of what went wrong yesterday. The team needs to be more fired up, more committed. That is the manager's job to an extent. RL is young, inexperienced but he will be keen to succeed of course and hopefully will be getting advice from some of his mentors/friends. We have a group of players capable of so much more than what we saw yesterday. But let's not take anything away from Exeter. And all this rubbish about 'a club like Argyle shouldn't lose to Exeter'. We have to earn respect, it's not ours by right, and Exeter gave us a lesson in desire and commitment. Now let's see some of that from our players.

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":1bhu8xej said:
Ade the green":1bhu8xej said:
PMPilgrim":1bhu8xej said:
It isnā€™t one game.

Itā€™s almost November and we are in mid table mediocrity.

At what point do you take off the green spectacles?

And we were never mid table under Adams.

Not in League 2.

We were bottom of League 1 though. That was fine I guess.

Nov 2, 2004
I like Rudden and yesterday's result had little to do with him. We rarely got the ball under control and gave the forwards nothing to feed off. Cooper and Edwards in company with Grant were beyond awful. If 2 of your three midfielders are outplayed {Edwards} or lacked heart {Cooper} you have no chance..

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
ealinggreen":3uv32hd5 said:
I like Rudden and yesterday's result had little to do with him. We rarely got the ball under control and gave the forwards nothing to feed off. Cooper and Edwards in company with Grant were beyond awful. If 2 of your three midfielders are outplayed {Edwards} or lacked heart {Cooper} you have no chance..
Based on your PASOTI name, I wonder how many times you have actually seen Rudden play.

He is certainly not a natural goal scorer so he needs to be able to bring other things to the team, as was the case with the likes of Mickey Evans under Sturrock and Ryan Taylor 2 years ago for Adams when he was so pivotal in the purple patch we had between Xmas and Easter that season but without actually scoring very many goals himself.

Having seen all of the games that Rudden has played in I would say that he is quite statuesque and doesnā€™t work hard enough to get himself into positions to receive the ball, he has quite a poor first touch due to his inability to control the ball even when it is played to feet and for a biggish lad, he is quite easily pushed off the ball. The Exeter lad had him in his pocket for all of the time that he was on the pitch.

The sooner Telford is match fit the better, we need more movement up front and players who can turn defenders and commit them. The Exeter CBs looked like top class defenders yesterday but in reality, they are just journeymen League 2 players who had a very easy time against our front 2.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Good post by Nobby - somebody with a bit of perspective in a sea of hysteria both on here and the local rag. Itā€™s been depressing to read some of the negativity BEFORE yesterdayā€™s dreadful result and itā€™s clear that some so-called fans are almost gloating about it in their hatred of Ryan Lowe for whatever reason. Sad and pathetic at the same time.

Nov 2, 2004
Why do you feel the need to comment on me, I am a block 5 season ticket holder, does that help. I also go to about half the away games. Am I now allowed an opinion.

Oct 5, 2013
ealinggreen":3sat8lam said:
Why do you feel the need to comment on me, I am a block 5 season ticket holder, does that help. I also go to about half the away games. Am I now allowed an opinion.

Great post!

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Metal_Green_Mickey":1wtsmnpg said:
If you tried every combination in defence and you still conceding set piece goals I would suggest that it doesn't matter who we pick.

I'm afraid we just don't have the players to play possession football and we certainly don't have the defenders who know how to defend. Unfortunately, tough times ahead.

Best example I can give currently of how difficult it is to make changes to this team, is Riley. Shouldn't be anywhere near this RWB role given how ineffective he has been. A complete waste of space. Going forward he doesn't have a scooby doo what to do with the ball. That right hand side of our team needs serious TLC but who do you put there from the current squad?

Totally agree MMM... for me the problem position all season has been RWB. Riley is not the man. We are lopsided currently and as a result easy for managers to work out how to play against us.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Guiri Green":clnqjrx2 said:
PMPilgrim":clnqjrx2 said:
It isnā€™t one game.

Clocks have just gone back. I've had a look and saw that we're 10th, and as it stands, 5 Points off an automatic promotion spot and 13 Points off the solitary relegation one.

Not quite mid Table mediocrity and a long way off getting relegated.

It's not beyond the realms of fantasy to clinch a playoff spot, or, dare I say it, a top 3 spot, and a good time to reflect that losing to a Club that just a week or two ago were apparently of no concern as a worthy rival to us, has not relegated us or definitely denied us promotion and there's another 30 Games to go yet.

One terrible performance and a few bruised egos, we can be better than that surely ? I wont let it define my Season.

Thatā€™s a good point, during the season itā€™s not the position that is so important but the amount points we are away from automatic and playoff spots. This is not a disaster, we are 5 points from automatic. Long way to go. To me this is a long term project, and Iā€™ll be giving Lowe at least another transfer window to bring in players that suit his system, which in some cases clearly he has got.

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
demportdave":3s199z8y said:
ealinggreen":3s199z8y said:
Based on your PASOTI name, I wonder how many times you have actually seen Rudden play.

He is certainly not a natural goal scorer so he needs to be able to bring other things to the team, as was the case with the likes of Mickey Evans under Sturrock and Ryan Taylor 2 years ago for Adams when he was so pivotal in the purple patch we had between Xmas and Easter that season but without actually scoring very many goals himself.

Having seen all of the games that Rudden has played in I would say that he is quite statuesque and doesnā€™t work hard enough to get himself into positions to receive the ball, he has quite a poor first touch due to his inability to control the ball even when it is played to feet and for a biggish lad, he is quite easily pushed off the ball. The Exeter lad had him in his pocket for all of the time that he was on the pitch.

The sooner Telford is match fit the better, we need more movement up front and players who can turn defenders and commit them. The Exeter CBs looked like top class defenders yesterday but in reality, they are just journeymen League 2 players who had a very easy time against our front 2.

Rudden statuesque? What utter nonsense. He didnā€™t do much on Saturday but then who did and there was a hardly a decent forward ball for him to work with in any case, but he is absolutely not statuesque. Weā€™re you at the game against Orient last Tuesday? He was moving pretty much constantly in that game, dropping deep to connect with the midfield and tirelessly running into the channels to provide an outlet from the back. His most impressive asset (so far) has been his movement.

(I agree with you that we need Telford back and I suspect that Rudden will end up on the bench longer term).

May 8, 2011
JannerinCardiff":2kk9gnp2 said:
Guiri Green":2kk9gnp2 said:
PMPilgrim":2kk9gnp2 said:
It isnā€™t one game.

Clocks have just gone back. I've had a look and saw that we're 10th, and as it stands, 5 Points off an automatic promotion spot and 13 Points off the solitary relegation one.

Not quite mid Table mediocrity and a long way off getting relegated.

It's not beyond the realms of fantasy to clinch a playoff spot, or, dare I say it, a top 3 spot, and a good time to reflect that losing to a Club that just a week or two ago were apparently of no concern as a worthy rival to us, has not relegated us or definitely denied us promotion and there's another 30 Games to go yet.

One terrible performance and a few bruised egos, we can be better than that surely ? I wont let it define my Season.

Thatā€™s a good point, during the season itā€™s not the position that is so important but the amount points we are away from automatic and playoff spots. This is not a disaster, we are 5 points from automatic. Long way to go. To me this is a long term project, and Iā€™ll be giving Lowe at least another transfer window to bring in players that suit his system, which in some cases clearly he has got.

The fact that even after only winning 6 of the 16 games played so far we are just a few points off the promotion places does indicate that there isnā€™t a consistently good team in the League and that a team going on a winning run will romp the league.

Apr 5, 2008
Thatā€™s the good thing,despite Argyle being pretty poor so far this season,they arenā€™t far from the auto places.

Not one stand out team or teams in this league,luckily for argyle,and only one team to go down,so at the worst we should still have league two football again next season.How riveting is it hat.