Crewe - a must win game? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Crewe - a must win game?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Obviously, Crewe and Exeter are massive games in our season, but I suppose I would describe them as 'mustn’t lose' games, whilst fully expecting us to go all out to win them both. If we do I think automatic promotion will be highly likely. If we draw them, we will still be in with a great chance so long as we win our games in hand. Either way, we have an exciting final third of the season to come.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Sorry to
Bring this back to the thread title....

For me the Crewe game is a must not lose game. A draw wouldn’t be brilliant but it also wouldn’t be the end of the world.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Argyle need to win both at home against Crewe and at home against Exeter to maximise automatic promotion.

Both are "6 pointer" games with the top teams not dropping many points.

A draw on Saturday would not be a disaster, but would keep Crewe 4 ponts ahead (but having played a game more).
Both Exeter and Swindon are favourites to win on Saturday, so a loss would be pretty dire.

Crewe will be motivated by that earlier loss to us at home.

Sep 6, 2006
ming the merciless":3b3xy88l said:
oldage":3b3xy88l said:
ming the merciless":3b3xy88l said:
I know this team will fight for the win. If they don't get it we can still go up. Us lot piling on extra pressure saying must win blah blah is hot air. They try and win every game. Saturday at Home park two of the best and most attacking teams go toe to toe. More so than any other match, anything can happen. Including a loss. I really fancy us against every team in the league. More than ever I'm looking forward to this game. :scarf:
"They try to win every game" Exeter and Colchester away!!!! :whistle:

Being out played on the day by those two teams is no disgrace. Nobody ever wins every game. From memory we lost against Luton under Luggy the season we got 102 points. You should try giving the other sides some credit. Both Exeter and Colchester are fantastic teams. No doubt we will loose again this season. Get used to it. It's part of the game too.

Nope we didnt lose to Luton.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m looking forward to it. Two good, footballing teams, on a great surface in front of what should be a big crowd.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Cobi Budge":hsqrkrfi said:
I’m looking forward to it. Two good, footballing teams, on a great surface in front of what should be a big crowd.

Can't see much football being played.
The wind was a factor last night and played havoc. Supposedly it'll be 30mph stronger in Plymouth on Saturday

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
up_the_line":foqrfe5z said:
Cobi Budge":foqrfe5z said:

The wind was a factor last night and played havoc. Supposedly it'll be 30mph stronger in Plymouth on Saturday

The conditions at Carlisle were pretty nasty and we produced our best flowing performance of the season. I don’t think either side on Saturday will throw their philosophy out the window because of the weather. Either way, should be a good clash.

Oct 20, 2015
up_the_line":ygnquwqr said:
Cobi Budge":ygnquwqr said:

Well the wind stopped me seeing Argyle v Grimsby in October, last time I made the 4 hour trek to Home Park. I'm coming on Saturday as well, so no doubt the new stand will be blown into Derriford car park.

I'm a glass half empty supporter - last night was a lovely surprise and well deserved for the team and fans. But Crewe are arguably better than Swindon. Swindon made light work of us when they came down. So did Colchester. I think the form teams in the league are able to find out and exploit our weakness by giving no room and no time to play out from the back. Also - no Sawyer, still out from his red card at Newport.

A less attack-minded manager than RL might set up for a draw with one up front, and I wouldn't mind that. However I don't think the gaffer knows how to play that way and neither do the team now. Hoping for a point on Saturday but I wouldn't be surprised by a defeat.

May 8, 2015
Balham_Green":3cld2fk4 said:
ming the merciless":3cld2fk4 said:
oldage":3cld2fk4 said:
ming the merciless":3cld2fk4 said:
I know this team will fight for the win. If they don't get it we can still go up. Us lot piling on extra pressure saying must win blah blah is hot air. They try and win every game. Saturday at Home park two of the best and most attacking teams go toe to toe. More so than any other match, anything can happen. Including a loss. I really fancy us against every team in the league. More than ever I'm looking forward to this game. :scarf:

Being out played on the day by those two teams is no disgrace. Nobody ever wins every game. From memory we lost against Luton under Luggy the season we got 102 points. You should try giving the other sides some credit. Both Exeter and Colchester are fantastic teams. No doubt we will loose again this season. Get used to it. It's part of the game too.

You sure about that? I clearly remember getting beaten 2-0 by a Joe Kinnear Luton around that time.

Apr 4, 2015
Its a huge game in the context of top 3 or playoffs, if we lose we are gonna be a long way off automatics, a draw and we are still a bit reliant on someone slipping up, a win and we are in a great position especially with our games in hand. The top 4 at present are pulling away from the rest and we have a great chance of top 3 if we keep going which I personally think we will. I think its a 6 pointer considering everything at stake.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
North London":2yj7vzmr said:
We lost 2-0 at Luton on the Saturday but bounced back with a scrappy 1-0 win against Swansea at the Vetch Field on the following Tuesday. I think it was one of the few games that Neil Heaney played in.

Swansea were kicking towards the Argyle fans in the old covered terrace in the second half and it was like the siege of the Alamo on our goal. But Romain made a number of good saves, Wotton and Cocko stood firm in front of him and we held on for a vital win. The sort of result that gets you promoted.

It might have been a bit easier because with about 15 minutes to go and with all the Swansea outfield players camped in our half, Trigger missed a clear one on one with their Keeper to keep us on tenterhooks to the end.

Apr 4, 2004
I seem to remember Luton didn't just beat us they murdered us on the day. They were very good on the ball and very attacking. I don't think they were a better side. They just had a plan that nullified everything we tried to do. We were all worried after that match. That's how I remember it anyway. Similar to now really. Crewe may beat us on Saturday. My gut feeling is that we will win in a high scoring game. But it's just one match, it won't decide our season. They will be very nervous about playing us. I can't wait.

Sep 6, 2006
North London":c0upsguo said:
Balham_Green":c0upsguo said:
ming the merciless":c0upsguo said:
oldage":c0upsguo said:
ming the merciless":c0upsguo said:

You sure about that? I clearly remember getting beaten 2-0 by a Joe Kinnear Luton around that time.

Yes got that wrong. Demport Dave right as usual. I was sure we had drawn there with a goal in the last minute by Adams. Perhaps that was following season.

May 26, 2015
Sorry,i haven't had time to read the whole thread and apologies if i'm repeating a point already made.

But, yes the Crewe game is a must win game.

After Tuesday's results, the top 4 have broken from the Peleton. I'm afraid that it is 3 from 4 for the autos and one of the current top 4 faces heartache.With 13 to 15 games to go, each draw or defeat for any of the 4 means a risk of them remaining outside/falling outside the autos.

At this stage of the season, top 3 is imperative! Then hold on to it.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3biije22 said:
North London":3biije22 said:
Balham_Green":3biije22 said:
ming the merciless":3biije22 said:
oldage":3biije22 said:
ming the merciless":3biije22 said:

Yes got that wrong. Demport Dave right as usual. I was sure we had drawn there with a goal in the last minute by Adams. Perhaps that was following season.

OMG!!!