Derek Adams signs new 5 year deal | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams signs new 5 year deal

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
The Grumpy Loyal":1q7mqgr5 said:
lyndhurst green":1q7mqgr5 said:
I am like others delighted by this news.

Quick question and not intending to sour this in any way, but does this effectively make DA un-sackable? JB has famously said he is/was not a football man and as such officially from today DA is now responsible for all football matters. This allows JB the freedom to concentrate almost exclusively on the Grandstand rebuild and commercial matters, with a guardianship of the club as a whole. Does this mean the only person who could remove DA from his role would be DA himself?

Beats being sacked by your Dad I guess!

In effect, yes it basically does make him un-sackable due to the amount we’d undoubtedly have to pay out.

But I’d think you’d struggle to find many people, even the ardent Adams Out brigade of Nov/Dec who wouldn’t agree this is a great move by the club.

My Brent scepticism is widely known, but the two appointments of Sheridan and Adams were two things on the footballing side that he and the Board got very right.
Not necessarily. I recall listening to a manager (possibly Mick McCarthy) saying that the length of contract doesn't mean that the manager would get ??? years pay off. There's usually a clause written in stipulating a pay off amount. It does however protect the club if someone else comes poaching.

D

Dano

Characters aren’t made in you they are given.

Each person has there moment in life to choose our path .. to many are draw to quick fixes and elevation before there time.

But I see and feel watching from afar that Mr Adams has seen his choice in life path to take us we’re we will be finally !.

Once there the past of argyle will be distant memories on a road once journeyed.

Raise the sails!! Unleash the giant and all that come before will be beneath are waves of glory !!

Oct 31, 2015
Oh great now he cant be sacked. Another run like early last season and he doesnt need to worry

Oct 31, 2015
rsp4":hrxp5por said:
Oh great now he cant be sacked. Another run like early last season and he doesnt need to worry

Only joking before anyone bites :)

I was a DA out in Oct- Dec last year which was more about the style of play (dont lose) rather than the horrible run.

I like stability and thinks its only good as the club builds momentum and between JB and DA there really is an unusual working relationship. Well done PAFC. Onwards and upwards

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Congratulations Derek, well deserved. Hopefully, in 3 years we can look forward to repeating this news after more success together.

I wonder if we intend to replace Nance as Head of Academy Coaching internally or externally.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Giving the manager such a level of control is an interesting and in some ways old-fashioned model, but he's earned the right to shape the club in his image. I think there will be other clubs of a similar size to us watching this experiment with interest.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Excellent "signing" by JB.

We still haven't signed up a new CEO yet...have we?

When does Starnes depart, or has he already gone?

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
HC Green":smykq6gr said:
TynanWozGr8":smykq6gr said:
Best thing Brent has done since rescuing the club

It must be some deal as I was half expecting a championship club to come in him for him

Hopefully will now apply the same logic to our better players so we can build a squad without a large turnaround of players each season

The players contracts are negotiated by Adams, he decides on how long a contract to offer and how much to pay them.

Throughout his management career he has ‘refreshed’ his squads each year, that is part of his management philosophy, I can’t see it changing.

I'm mostly happy with how he does this, we're used to it by now and 95% of the results have been in our favour. Not many players have left I'd happily welcome back into the squad for this year. He gets recruitment right most of the time, and every manager will sign a few duds in their time, even the great Sir Alex. I trust he will replace whoever chooses to leave.

I also give him a lot of respect for how early he tells players they won't get a renewal when his mind is decided (Luke, Rose), this has got to help them in moving forward.

I would like to see a slight change in how the core squad are handled. Start attempting to extend their contracts when they have 12 months left. Example Carey, It's suggested he signed a 2-year contract, which would have 12 months left now (Maybe with extension options?). In 12 months time, he's potentially free to leave and we have another summer like last, waiting to hear what he chooses. (As we are now with Bradley) Offering those who have shown they deserve it an extension with 12 months left could potentially avoid this, and also show players the reward and security is there for the grabs if they earn it.

It's hinted Taylor / Sarce signed during the season not after it closed: "Like Taylor, 26-year-old Sarcevic also agreed a new contract with the Pilgrims during the course of this season." I think I remember rumours talks would start in February? Perhaps he is moving more towards this style? I'd like to see it a bit earlier though, he said the players are often the stumbling block...Do the players hold as much leverage with 12 months left, as they do with 5? Downsides I suppose include greater wages to pay for longer, long-term injury risks and potentially disharmony if player X believes he deserves an extension but player Y gets one instead, perhaps this is why it's avoided?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Cheers Paul.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Andy_S":1ci9hz75 said:
Cheers Paul.

He has still there I spoke to him last week up at HP he said he finishes on May 31.