Derek Adams signs new 5 year deal | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams signs new 5 year deal

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":2qtjeg59 said:
Brilliant!

There can't be many managers in the top four leagues who have a five year contract and there can't be many, if at all, who have total control over the whole football club.

It’s almost a bit unfashionable isn’t it? With the trend towards a European model of directors of football etc.

My only worry is an obvious one... that we put all our eggs in one basket and he can’t say no when a really big boy comes calling. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

At this rate, it won’t be long before he’s in the top 5 longest serving managers in the country.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Biggs":ma0ot4bs said:
PL2 3DQ":ma0ot4bs said:
Brilliant!

There can't be many managers in the top four leagues who have a five year contract and there can't be many, if at all, who have total control over the whole football club.

It’s almost a bit unfashionable isn’t it? With the trend towards a European model of directors of football etc.

My only worry is an obvious one... that we put all our eggs in one basket and he can’t say no when a really big boy comes calling. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

At this rate, it won’t be long before he’s in the top 5 longest serving managers in the country.

Amazingly he's 14th already.
Only 7 PL+EFL managers have been at their position for over 5 years. Shows how long that contract really is, and how much of a statement it is.

May 8, 2011
Since I Was 33":1nckk5gk said:
Dano":1nckk5gk said:
I can see a lot of Sir Alex Ferguson in Mr Adams.

Something tells me that there’s going to be movement finally from the sleeping giant, and Adams feels it also and wants to be right there when it happens!!

Only got to look at history of the smaller clubs reaching the premiership to know this could be our time to move in its direction?, there’s always a time and place in life that you sail to were you need to be in life.

Adams’s can see this, and within these five years he’ll make it his legacy to get us there. Once there will be big that green giant conquering all before us. Our time will come , our time is coming .

I've felt for a long time that he has many of the attributes Fergie has. I believe he sees Argyle as a long term project and has unlimited ambition on where he wants us to go. The future's looking good

With the reference to Sir Alex, the attached may give an insight:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/131 ... in_______/

Nov 18, 2011
To sign a 5 year deal you've got to assume that JB was able to make a convincing case to Derek about continued investment in the team and the facilities.

I wonder if there's a release clause in the deal, 5 years is an eternity in football and I'm surprised that a manager would commit themselves for that long. If Adams's career continues it's positive trajectory it won't be long before other clubs come sniffing.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
PlymOdi":326g9718 said:
Amazingly he's 14th already.
Only 7 PL+EFL managers have been at their position for over 5 years. Shows how long that contract really is, and how much of a statement it is.
Well one of those will be quitting soon .....leaving with his cravat & trilby from one club we all love to join another in Milton Keynes :wave:

Aug 3, 2017
Joe Totale":228i5cwt said:
To sign a 5 year deal you've got to assume that JB was able to make a convincing case to Derek about continued investment in the team and the facilities.

I wonder if there's a release clause in the deal, 5 years is an eternity in football and I'm surprised that a manager would commit themselves for that long. If Adams's career continues it's positive trajectory it won't be long before other clubs come sniffing.

Would like to think DA and Brent have been able to get something on paper that suits both regarding release clause. Agree with most people that 5 years is a long contract these days.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Nothing is certain in life but I think this does show that the strategy at Home Park is one of playing the long game with everyone on the management side of things (Board, Football Management) being aligned to that strategy. It surely means that Adams IS convinced that the financial backing he needs is available or that there is a realistic plan to get it within a realistic timescale. It may also mean that Adams is able to sign some players onto longer contracts if that is something that he feels he wants to do (he might not).

Aug 5, 2005
But.....that means that the people who were absolutely sure certain without a doubt FACT that Adams was moving to [insert name of club here] were........lying?

Jan 6, 2004
Brent has obviously worked out that year after year Adams over delivers on a limited budget. Offering a 5 year contract (which Adams would not get with a bigger club) is a great way to keep him.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Green_Flash":243pq4vy said:
Brent has obviously worked out that year after year Adams over delivers on a limited budget. Offering a 5 year contract (which Adams would not get with a bigger club) is a great way to keep him.

He has also worked out that in the event of DA being attracted away during the period of the contract that the Club who has appointed DA, needs to pay a shed load of compensation to Argyle for the loss of his services, in line with the outstanding period of the contract at the time of his departure. There is a converse postion of course should DA be sacked, but let's not think about that!

Jan 6, 2004
It is funny how Adams has become such a good fit with the club, he is most unlike previously successful managers who were on the surface far more charismatic -eg Dave Smith, Luggy, Holloway. All power to his elbow mind.

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
Quintrell_Green":1x3irrir said:
Green_Flash":1x3irrir said:

He has also worked out that in the event of DA being attracted away during the period of the contract that the Club who has appointed DA, needs to pay a shed load of compensation to Argyle for the loss of his services, in line with the outstanding period of the contract at the time of his departure. There is a converse postion of course should DA be sacked, but let's not think about that!

It also shows a level of commitment to certain players who may be out of contract and wavering on whether to sign on again or not?

C

CG1983

Green_Flash":29bzp30b said:
It is funny how Adams has become such a good fit with the club, he is most unlike previously successful managers who were on the surface far more charismatic -eg Dave Smith, Luggy, Holloway. All power to his elbow mind.
You should go to a Q&A with him. He is charismatic at such events.
Knows his stuff too.