Derek Adams signs new 5 year deal | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams signs new 5 year deal

Oct 24, 2010
Great news. This is a very progressive move by the club and is to be applauded. It goes against the trend fostered by the Premier League of instant success or the sack and, happily, no more "he has three more games to turn it around" threads on Pasoti for a few years.

Sep 17, 2017
rsp4":1y3jlabu said:
Oh great now he cant be sacked. Another run like early last season and he doesnt need to worry

Rsp4 you bring up a very valid point, I hope the club have protected themselves,

Continuity is key and we all wish that DA is successful and takes Us towards the promised land,

But in football you never know so letā€™s hope that both sides have a contract that suits the individual and club.

Alan Pardew & Newcastle!!!! Say no more

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Green_Flash":dciv9saq said:
Brent has obviously worked out that year after year Adams over delivers on a limited budget. Offering a 5 year contract (which Adams would not get with a bigger club) is a great way to keep him.

It's a way of keeping him, hey hunky dory, but all good, not sure.

DA's a little different, and that's brilliant. He can wind up oppo with irrational pre or post match analysis to suit whatever the motivation might be to retain or gain player motivation, that's good prep, one would have to be a might smarter than he to conjure those non sequiturs on the spot, that's thought out well and long before.

Tactful. End of season he didn't whine too much about a small squad not giving enough cover, which I'm pretty sure he predicted with his let's see what's happening at forty games reference. And Brent will like tactful, discretion, all that stuff, given the journey back for Argyle to clean health.

But I greatly admire how Brent seems insistent that sports players don't need multi-season contracts to produce a decent performance that upcoming weekend, equally though, do managers need them? We've now seen some of the stars have longer contracts like Carey. And Wylde!! Now the manager's getting an even longer one. Seems the camel's nose just can't be kept out. Market pressure maybe. Sticking to principles could mean losing good people. No clean win here then.

May 8, 2011
Gary_Wills":34zy2x5p said:
Green_Flash":34zy2x5p said:
Brent has obviously worked out that year after year Adams over delivers on a limited budget. Offering a 5 year contract (which Adams would not get with a bigger club) is a great way to keep him.

It's a way of keeping him, hey hunky dory, but all good, not sure.

DA's a little different, and that's brilliant. He can wind up oppo with irrational pre or post match analysis to suit whatever the motivation might be to retain or gain player motivation, that's good prep, one would have to be a might smarter than he to conjure those non sequiturs on the spot, that's thought out well and long before.

Tactful. End of season he didn't whine too much about a small squad not giving enough cover, which I'm pretty sure he predicted with his let's see what's happening at forty games reference. And Brent will like tactful, discretion, all that stuff, given the journey back for Argyle to clean health.

But I greatly admire how Brent seems insistent that sports players don't need multi-season contracts to produce a decent performance that upcoming weekend, equally though, do managers need them? We've now seen some of the stars have longer contracts like Carey. And Wylde!! Now the manager's getting an even longer one. Seems the camel's nose just can't be kept out. Market pressure maybe. Sticking to principles could mean losing good people. No clean win here then.

Iā€™m not sure how many times it has to be repeated but here goes:
At Argyle, all player contract lengths, pay etc is negotiated by Adams, no other Argyle employee and certainly no board member gets involved until the deal is agreed between the player/agent and Adams.

Sep 17, 2017
Why do we need a new CEO then ???

I donā€™t know your source but surely the CEO must be, at least, part of the negotiations!!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Not played Football Manager since winning the double with Argyle on Beginner Level circa '85, but assumed there's no new person in charge of all that, aka new CEO.

To have no one detached from the sports business directing the sports business seems risky too then. Or novel and sensical. Heard it both ways.

May 8, 2011
PilgrimZ1R":3ts4q8w6 said:

I donā€™t know your source but surely the CEO must be, at least, part of the negotiations!!

My source was Derek Adams, he outlined the way players contracts are handled when he answered questions at the April meetings of Senior Greens.

Aug 26, 2011
HC Green":2bv605jm said:
TynanWozGr8":2bv605jm said:
Best thing Brent has done since rescuing the club

It must be some deal as I was half expecting a championship club to come in him for him

Hopefully will now apply the same logic to our better players so we can build a squad without a large turnaround of players each season

The players contracts are negotiated by Adams, he decides on how long a contract to offer and how much to pay them.

Throughout his management career he has ā€˜refreshedā€™ his squads each year, that is part of his management philosophy, I canā€™t see it changing.

This is a nonsense then - although I suspect there were financial constraints - surely no manager would want such a high turnaround of players

All good sides add two or three decent players to a settled squad each year that improves overall quality

I believe there were ten new players last season and look at the start we had - took time to gel although accept necessary to improve quality as went up a league

But now need to consolidate And sign Up our best players on long term deals

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
HC Green":3v0n196b said:
PilgrimZ1R":3v0n196b said:

My source was Derek Adams, he outlined the way players contracts are handled when he answered questions at the April meetings of Senior Greens.
Exactly how I heard it, HC. He answered many questions and subsequent developments, e.g. new full contracts for apprentices and pro development players and his opinion of James Brent, seem to confirm that they were answered honestly and transparently.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æ
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 15, 2003
TynanWozGr8":10hedae8 said:
HC Green":10hedae8 said:
TynanWozGr8":10hedae8 said:

It must be some deal as I was half expecting a championship club to come in him for him

Hopefully will now apply the same logic to our better players so we can build a squad without a large turnaround of players each season

The players contracts are negotiated by Adams, he decides on how long a contract to offer and how much to pay them.

Throughout his management career he has ā€˜refreshedā€™ his squads each year, that is part of his management philosophy, I canā€™t see it changing.

This is a nonsense then - although I suspect there were financial constraints - surely no manager would want such a high turnaround of players

All good sides add two or three decent players to a settled squad each year that improves overall quality

I believe there were ten new players last season and look at the start we had - took time to gel although accept necessary to improve quality as went up a league

In which case, you might like to ring the club, ask to speak to DA and let him know!

I'm sure he'll be more than happy to take your concerns on board!

Kenny Pester

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Oct 17, 2006
Cattedown, Plymouth.
Adams has come out and said before that the key to success is rotation. I firmly believe that he is making the right choices regarding player contracts etc. He is the one who will see if player x is worth this wage at x years for a contract. I also think that players would be foolish to leave when the club are onto something positive here. The grass isnā€™t always greener on the other side as a footballer. The money may be better but Iā€™m sure as professionals they want to be playing week in and week out and playing well. This hasnā€™t happened for many of the players that have left under Adams.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

HC Green":1ueejmnl said:
TynanWozGr8":1ueejmnl said:

So Adams is now overseeing every aspect of the footballing side, including undertaking all contractor negotiations for wages, and he then decides how many years to offer them?

Gonna be a busy boy!

Argyle could quite easily cut some costs on a new CEO with Adams doing a large proportion of that specific role.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
TynanWozGr8":1h6x4bum said:
HC Green":1h6x4bum said:
TynanWozGr8":1h6x4bum said:

But the summer before that for season 2016/2017 Adams signed 15 new players and they won 8, drew 1 and lost 2 of the first 11 league games.
Those new players instantly gelled and because of the play-off final Adams had less time to recruit them over the summer.

Sep 6, 2006
The Grumpy Loyal":70q7xmxs said:
HC Green":70q7xmxs said:
TynanWozGr8":70q7xmxs said:

So Adams is now overseeing every aspect of the footballing side, including undertaking all contractor negotiations for wages, and he then decides how many years to offer them?

Gonna be a busy boy!

Argyle could quite easily cut some costs on a new CEO with Adams doing a large proportion of that specific role.

So you think Adams can deal with all the commercial stuff as well?! Perhaps he could man the turnstiles too, do the laundry etc. We'd save loads of money