Exeter humiliated 0-4 in the Play Off Final, | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter humiliated 0-4 in the Play Off Final,

Who to win the play-off final?

• Exeter City

Votes: 58 44.6%
  • Northampton Town

Votes: 59 45.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 13 10.0%

• Total voters
Mar 29, 2020
For a second then I thought this was Exweb.... If the tables were reversed they certainly wouldn’t be saying I love for Argyle to get promoted so we can play them next season.... :facepalm:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
tawtongreen":2kn1sr25 said:
'For fans of my generation......'? What generation is that?

I am in my 60s, been a 'green' since birth.....never liked Exeter City AFC BUT always look out for & wish ALL South West sides well...have always adopted the higher moral ground as I believe strongly that Argyle fans are entitled to do when dealing with our poorer, worse than us, clearly deprived educationally & socially, & unluckier local rivals (for discussion?). Have also mellowed with the years & the more local derbies we can have, the better.
Am a fan of re-organised divisions into South & North, combining Leagues 1 & 2 - want to spend more time watching footie & less on the road.....bigger crowds, local rivalry & better atmosphere. Imagine a league with City, Torquay, Yeovil, Rovers, Cheltenham, Swindon.....THEN, if relegated from our superior & rightful position in The Championship, it wouldn't all be bad.

COYGs...with Ryan at the hem, can see us going straight through this league!
Fans of my generation generally don’t dislike Exeter, although you appear to be an exception to that. I think it’s because we don’t see them as serious rivals. It’s not quite like comparing Rochdale and Man. United, more like Tranmere and Everton perhaps.

When I first starting watching Argyle we were a good 2nd Division team and Torquay and Exeter were in the 4th Division and they were the nice little clubs up the road where old Argyle players went towards the end of their career.

I can remember Argyle fans wishing Exeter well when they were promoted from Division 4 in 1964 and I was sorry to read that Cec Smyth died recently, he was a real character and a legend at SJP.

You say you have never liked Exeter but you wish them well, something of a contradiction surely.

As for your suggestion to go back to regionalised football, is it 1920 or 2020?

Are Forest Green or Cheltenham more of an attraction than the likes of Mansfield, et al ?

Jul 14, 2008
Kersie":yrv92ckf said:
For a second then I thought this was Exweb.... If the tables were reversed they certainly wouldn’t be saying I love for Argyle to get promoted so we can play them next season.... :facepalm:

Hating another football club or people who happen to support another club is childish. I’ll leave that for the 15 year olds. I’m more interested in the fact that Argyle will benefit financially from hosting Exeter at Home Park

Aug 27, 2019
Apologies...to clarify:

'Never liked Exeter but wish them well'....meaning, I couldn't imagine going to St James Park even if Home Park ceased to exist but equally, where we aren't involved then to promote the greater picture of South West football, would wish them well - but not at our expense..

Why the opposition to regionalisation? Lower costs for both club & fans, better atmosphere with bigger away support as well as larger home attendances both at HP & when we go away. Better rivalry.....
Same chance of promotion to Championship & with reduced travel/increased support surely improves chances of attracting better players (together with retention & indeed, development).
Wouldn't you prefer a Tuesday away at Forest Green than Mansfield? Swap trip to Sunderland for Portsmouth, Carlisle to Crawley? What other than increased (pointless?) travelling & expense, does a National League give us? Still have the chance to visit clubs 'Oop North' in the Cups - may even re-vitalise those competitions?
I saw 3 away games up north last/this season so am talking from experience...
My Dad remembers regionalisation & the 'change' - is adamant that no one has truly prospered since in any way that they wouldn't/couldn't have done under the old system.....DISCUSS
Should this be a separate thread?

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Kersie":2xb8ko11 said:

Ooooh yes I forgot. Any positive comments about 'that other club in Devon' means we must all be raging Grecians.

Who would I rather have a pint and discuss the world of football with - a plastic Man Utd fan, or a loyal Exeter City fan?

It may terrify you to know that I'd pick the Exeter fan. Anyway, I shall start running before I'm chased from the county for my unacceptable disloyalty.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Alan Turing":5tj360c9 said:
I have thought about this long and hard and I have applied a scientific formula to my decision.

Northampton - because I like purple and I bought my car there ;)

Yes I've been entirely scientific about it too. Cobblers cos I like shoes and my Cousin lives there and watches them.

Aug 27, 2019
My last post on this subject (I promise):

Good point by jespafc......I work for an Exeter based company, that sends me 'as & when' all over the UK. I can though, arrange trips to tie in with away games, occasionally.
I have several City supporting colleagues & the banter before & after games against 'the foe' , is what life is all about - great craic! Equally, there are several United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc fans who have NEVER even been to those cities/London - let alone seen any games other than down the pub on Sky etc. Forced one of these 'plastic Mancs' to the Macclesfield game (not our best game) because we were on way back from Lancaster. At 28, had never been to any live game but she has taken a far more (enlightened?) approach to SW footie since....albeit from a City perspective, disappointingly.

Thats it! Rant over.....

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
tawtongreen":5vk5xl1a said:
Apologies...to clarify:

'Never liked Exeter but wish them well'....meaning, I couldn't imagine going to St James Park even if Home Park ceased to exist but equally, where we aren't involved then to promote the greater picture of South West football, would wish them well - but not at our expense..

Why the opposition to regionalisation? Lower costs for both club & fans, better atmosphere with bigger away support as well as larger home attendances both at HP & when we go away. Better rivalry.....
Same chance of promotion to Championship & with reduced travel/increased support surely improves chances of attracting better players (together with retention & indeed, development).
Wouldn't you prefer a Tuesday away at Forest Green than Mansfield? Swap trip to Sunderland for Portsmouth, Carlisle to Crawley? What other than increased (pointless?) travelling & expense, does a National League give us? Still have the chance to visit clubs 'Oop North' in the Cups - may even re-vitalise those competitions?
I saw 3 away games up north last/this season so am talking from experience...
My Dad remembers regionalisation & the 'change' - is adamant that no one has truly prospered since in any way that they wouldn't/couldn't have done under the old system.....DISCUSS
Should this be a separate thread?

There would not be the same chance of promotion to the Championship.

At the moment 3 out of 24 clubs get promoted from League One. In a regionalised EFL if both North and South divisions had 3 promotion places then there would have to be six coming down from the Championship and that will never happen.

At best it would be both champions getting automatic promotion and either 1 from play offs both north and south or worst still, one from a play off competition involving clubs from both north and south divisions.

twist of lime

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Feb 22, 2008
Herts
tawtongreen":38xlh76k said:
Did I see that Ryan Lowe has wished Colchester well in the play offs?
Controversial if true!

Am a West Country soccer fan so although don't like them, would love to see Exeter City go up - cannot wait any longer than necessary to revenge that drubbing......

With Rovers, Swindon, Pompey (may not be a derby, but dockyard rivalry & City pride counts for something!), together with many others now only 3 hours away, will seem like an easy travel....

+ Mayor staying.....

Getting excited already......

COYGs!!!

Re Lowe post on twitter, - he wished good luck to all 4 official twitter accounts for the teams in the L2 playoffs .. :greensmile:

COYG

Aug 5, 2016
Cheltenham Town because they deserve it. Fewest defeats in the division and the best goal difference. If we had finished the season they would have been close to winning the league and almost certainly top 3.

As for Exeter, they would love to see us go back into admin and out of business. Yet every season on here you see fans wish them well. 'It would be great to see them in our division next year', 'great for SW football! Lovely to see the away end packed out'
WTF? Every single one of them hates your guts.

Mar 29, 2020
Exactly some on here don’t understand the word RIVAL......you don’t support a RIVAL in football... :funny:

Aug 5, 2016
Indeed, and if Exeter win the playoffs, I am sure some of our fans will want us to give them a guard of honour at Home Park next season, whilst showering them with rose petals from the stands.

Aug 27, 2019
So much for that being my last post but I will rise to the bait.....

You appear to hate/detest Exeter City. You can have a rivalry with anyone but that doesn't mean you cannot wish then well WHERE IT IS NOT AT ARGYLE's expense. The guard of honour jibe is both an insult to all honest, right minded Argyle & also to football fans everywhere. Look at Liverpool & Everton - they have probably the most intense rivalry ever but most (& I have many scouse friends of both persuasion),support each other both when the chips are down or the other is in a game of importance that cannot adversely impact on their club's fortunes.
I would love to see Argyle & City fans exist in a similarly happy (but intense) rivalry. I remember all too well the fighting in the pubs of the 70s & 80s - what did it achieve? If Argyle & City are in the same division, it is to our mutual benefit - primarily Argyle's given our bigger ground....
So please, don't be so smallminded & petty, Argyle first yes all the time,, but Football & SW football particularly to thrive is surely what we all want?
I encourage you to see the bigger picture.....

Mar 23, 2019
Kersie":1hq5gzwr said:

Embarrassing isn't it.

Argyle should never be in the same league as Exeter.