Exeter humiliated 0-4 in the Play Off Final, | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter humiliated 0-4 in the Play Off Final,

Who to win the play-off final?

• Exeter City

Votes: 58 44.6%
  • Northampton Town

Votes: 59 45.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 13 10.0%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":3ffqffrp said:
tawtongreen":3ffqffrp said:
Apologies...to clarify:

'Never liked Exeter but wish them well'....meaning, I couldn't imagine going to St James Park even if Home Park ceased to exist but equally, where we aren't involved then to promote the greater picture of South West football, would wish them well - but not at our expense..

Why the opposition to regionalisation? Lower costs for both club & fans, better atmosphere with bigger away support as well as larger home attendances both at HP & when we go away. Better rivalry.....
Same chance of promotion to Championship & with reduced travel/increased support surely improves chances of attracting better players (together with retention & indeed, development).
Wouldn't you prefer a Tuesday away at Forest Green than Mansfield? Swap trip to Sunderland for Portsmouth, Carlisle to Crawley? What other than increased (pointless?) travelling & expense, does a National League give us? Still have the chance to visit clubs 'Oop North' in the Cups - may even re-vitalise those competitions?
I saw 3 away games up north last/this season so am talking from experience...
My Dad remembers regionalisation & the 'change' - is adamant that no one has truly prospered since in any way that they wouldn't/couldn't have done under the old system.....DISCUSS
Should this be a separate thread?

There would not be the same chance of promotion to the Championship.

At the moment 3 out of 24 clubs get promoted from League One. In a regionalised EFL if both North and South divisions had 3 promotion places then there would have to be six coming down from the Championship and that will never happen.

At best it would be both champions getting automatic promotion and either 1 from play offs both north and south or worst still, one from a play off competition involving clubs from both north and south divisions.
I'd argue that there is the same chance of promotion, because whilst (as you say) there would be fewer promotion spots, the league would be weaker with a bunch of southern League 2 clubs making up the numbers. Meaning that if we were say the 4th best team in a national League One, we'd be the 2nd best team in a League One South assuming that some of the other top teams are northern.

Oct 20, 2015
Very roughly we live in between Northampton and Cheltenham so either of those would do. We went to Boxing Day game at Cheltenham, I was impressed with their style - neat and organised, good man-marking. We did well to win it 1-0. I think they play better football than the other candidates, but what do I know? However, purely from a parking perspective I'd prefer Northampton.

It wasn't long ago that Northampton were the form team of League 2, they looked unbeatable, then they got promoted, then relegated. Boing-boing Cobblers?

Put your money on Exeter or Colchester then.

Outside of Argyle the most interesting thing to come out of this season is Cov City's promotion to Championship. They are a club literally running on fumes, without a ground, or even a training ground. Their troubles have been well documented but I just can't see how they will survive in the Championship against clubs willing to burn £11m just to operate in that league.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I`ve just read banter base on exeweb and have realised that ecfc fans don`t have an inferiority complex - they really are inferior. :scarf: :scarf:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Definitely in the ABC camp. I live in East Devon and have neighbours & friends who support them & many others who just like to ‘push my buttons’ where they’re concerned. My lad also plays in a team with some gobby City fans (OK, OK maybe I’m a bit guilty of being gobby too sometimes :oops: and to be fair he does turn up to every match in his Argyle shirt :D ) ………When they stuffed us last season it was quite unbearable. So it’s all very well for those of you who never actually meet any of ‘em to be all grown-up about it - but believe me I was bricking it that they might have done it again in the return before COVID put a stop to it (I’d already started looking into the possibilities of emigration, plastic surgery & gender re-assignment to avoid the humiliation).

So it would be absolutely hilarious if they choked yet again in the play-offs ……. Although I’d never mention it to them of course…..NO SIR-EEEEE!!! Not a word :lol:

Jun 27, 2019
I hope Exeter lose both legs 10-0. Can't stand them and wish them nothing but misfortune.

I'll take Cheltenham out of the four because it's a relatively short journey and they'll probably be one team that'll finish below us.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":35tlfvxc said:
Lundan Cabbie":35tlfvxc said:
tawtongreen":35tlfvxc said:
Apologies...to clarify:

'Never liked Exeter but wish them well'....meaning, I couldn't imagine going to St James Park even if Home Park ceased to exist but equally, where we aren't involved then to promote the greater picture of South West football, would wish them well - but not at our expense..

Why the opposition to regionalisation? Lower costs for both club & fans, better atmosphere with bigger away support as well as larger home attendances both at HP & when we go away. Better rivalry.....
Same chance of promotion to Championship & with reduced travel/increased support surely improves chances of attracting better players (together with retention & indeed, development).
Wouldn't you prefer a Tuesday away at Forest Green than Mansfield? Swap trip to Sunderland for Portsmouth, Carlisle to Crawley? What other than increased (pointless?) travelling & expense, does a National League give us? Still have the chance to visit clubs 'Oop North' in the Cups - may even re-vitalise those competitions?
My Dad remembers regionalisation & the 'change' - is adamant that no one has truly prospered since in any way that they wouldn't/couldn't have done under the old system.....DISCUSS

At the moment 3 out of 24 clubs get promoted from League One. In a regionalised EFL if both North and South divisions had 3 promotion places then there would have to be six coming down from the Championship and that will never happen.

At best it would be both champions getting automatic promotion and either 1 from play offs both north and south or worst still, one from a play off competition involving clubs from both north and south divisions.
I'd argue that there is the same chance of promotion, because whilst (as you say) there would be fewer promotion spots, the league would be weaker with a bunch of southern League 2 clubs making up the numbers. Meaning that if we were say the 4th best team in a national League One, we'd be the 2nd best team in a League One South assuming that some of the other top teams are northern.

But second in League One South is unlikely to be an automatic promotion spot.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":3laimm43 said:
Dan Ellard":3laimm43 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3laimm43 said:
tawtongreen":3laimm43 said:
Apologies...to clarify:

But second in League One South is unlikely to be an automatic promotion spot.
However, there'd probably be 8 teams in the playoffs across the two divisions, meaning an increased chance of making the playoffs and getting promoted that way.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
You are assuming that there would be four relegations from the Championship. In League One there could well be just one promotion place from one play-off competition including teams from both north and south.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":1ltgjngv said:
You are assuming that there would be four relegations from the Championship. In League One there could well be just one promotion place from one play-off competition including teams from both north and south.

The best comparison is surely National League North/South going into the National League, where there are 4.

Mar 29, 2020
If 4 southern Championship sides get relegated....the likes of Walsall,Port Vale,Burton or Peterborough would be League 1 North one year and then League 1 South the following year....total amateurish in my opinion.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Kersie":2ai86apj said:
If 4 southern Championship sides get relegated....the likes of Walsall,Port Vale,Burton or Peterborough would be League 1 North one year and then League 1 South the following year....total amateurish in my opinion.

That's what used to happen. Some clubs played in both North and South Third Divisions and would have to swap leagues depending upon the geographical make up of the two leagues in any particular season. There were times when clubs in the midlands were in different divisions and missed out on local attendance windfall matches.

Mar 29, 2020
That’s why it is a c*** idea having North and South.....leave that back in the dark old days.