Fleetwood v Argyle Match Day Thread | Page 21 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fleetwood v Argyle Match Day Thread

Jul 29, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
I missed the mchat and have no iFollow.. However it looks like a disaster for us today. Does Mr Lowe have a plan B? If not he is really going to struggle in this League. I watch EFL on Quest. Sad to say PAFC are lacking in several departments. Almost a "one trick pony" talks the talk but I am not convinced. Never have been.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Easy to pick on individuals, but Fleetwood knew how to deal with Argyle 's style of play and their closing us down quickly and aggressively worked a treat for them.
2 down I think Ryan Lowe made some panicky substitutions. The players were shell-shocked and Fleetwood kept us under pressure and were clinical in their finishing.
I'm a fan of Ryan Lowe but I feel his team selection, substitutions and tactics were all wrong for this game.

Jul 12, 2016
Pafcineurope":23w32w34 said:
I missed the mchat and have no iFollow.. However it looks like a disaster for us today. Does Mr Lowe have a plan B? If not he is really going to struggle in this League. I watch EFL on Quest. Sad to say PAFC are lacking in several departments. Almost a "one trick pony" talks the talk but I am not convinced. Never have been.
My concern also. Is RL as good as he thinks he is?

Aug 5, 2016
There has been a few horrible comments about the manager in reaction to this defeat. The bloke isn't perfect but he has had far more good days at Argyle than bad. What short memories some have.

Whilst the players are learning every game, so is our young manager.

Barton did his homework on us there and Lowe will no doubt be reflecting on that. Squads up and down League One have the capacity to do what Fleetwood done to us there, perhaps not as clinically, but they really stopped us from playing with a superbly executed gameplan.

This is our first season back in League One and some need to recalibrate expectations. We went away to a side with Charlie Mulgrew, Jordan Rossiter, Paddy Madden, Callum Camps and Ched Evans and we have got turned over with embarrassment.

But we have come up from the division below, and perhaps it is time to realise we aren't going to play fantastic football and 3 goal wins every match away to more expensive sides with better players than us. We can have a go, but if we do there will be a few more days like that where it goes spectacularly wrong to accompany the times it goes right. It is what happens when you go up the divisions and meet your match.

Cut Lowe some slack. Where we are in the table is just fine, and I back him to figure this division out. But that Fleetwood game has perhaps shown that Barton is a step ahead and Lowe is going to have to develop a few different tactical game plans to spar with the bigger boys if he wants to compete at the top end.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":2fno45hs said:
There has been a few horrible comments about the manager in reaction to this defeat. The bloke isn't perfect but he has had far more good days at Argyle than bad. What short memories some have.

Barton did his homework on us there and Lowe will no doubt be reflecting on that. Squads up and down League One have the capacity to do what Fleetwood done to us there, perhaps not as clinically, but they really stopped us from playing with a superbly executed gameplan.

This is our first season back in League One and some need to recalibrate expectations. We went away to a side with Charlie Mulgrew, Jordan Rossiter, Paddy Madden, Callum Camps and Ched Evans and we have got turned over with embarrassment.

But we have come up from the division below, and perhaps it is time to realise we aren't going to play fantastic football and 3 goal wins every match away to more expensive sides with better players than us. We can have a go, but if we do there will be a few more days like that where it goes spectacularly wrong to accompany the times it goes right. It is what happens when you go up the divisions and meet your match.

Cut Lowe some slack. Where we are in the table is just fine, and I back him to figure this division out in time. But that Fleetwood game has perhaps shown him that Barton is one step ahead and Lowe is going to have to develop a few different tactical ideas to spar with the bigger boys if he wants to compete at the top end.

So Lowe didn't realize he would need 'to develop a few different tactical ideas'? Worrying.

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":yeh9bh59 said:
Pafcineurope":yeh9bh59 said:

Ads good as most of the fans think he is more like.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":1jv35f1c said:
Pafcineurope":1jv35f1c said:

My position is - RL is a lot better than YOU think he is. You've never been slow to criticise him or Mayor for that matter.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Knibbsworth":2pa67het said:

Cut Lowe some slack. Where we are in the table is just fine, and I back him to figure this division out. But that Fleetwood game has perhaps shown that Barton is a step ahead and Lowe is going to have to develop a few different tactical game plans to spar with the bigger boys if he wants to compete at the top end.
A little calm in a sea of panic Knibbs. Rewind 12 months and it was the same on here after a similar thrashing at Exeter and we ended up promoted. Peterborough away is not the ideal opportunity to put things right and many will fear a similar result. Let's hope "It's a funny old game" rings true on Tuesday.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":tgm6tln7 said:
Knibbsworth":tgm6tln7 said:

Cut Lowe some slack. Where we are in the table is just fine, and I back him to figure this division out in time. But that Fleetwood game has perhaps shown him that Barton is one step ahead and Lowe is going to have to develop a few different tactical ideas to spar with the bigger boys if he wants to compete at the top end.

So Lowe didn't realize he would need 'to develop a few different tactical ideas'? Worrying.

Where we were in the league and all of our performances prior to the Fleetwood game indicated that the formation and tactics were sound enough.

Barton watched us on TV with his notepad ready and has set his team up with a prepared plan to suffocate everything which makes us tick.

Lowe hasn't changed his formation since his first match in charge, and perhaps this is the first realisation that his side is going to be a sitting duck if the opponent can study us and prepare a customised gameplan, and we sleepwalk into it with a formation, lineup and tactics that any supporter on here could predict.

We don't seem to set up to stifle the opposition like that. We don't seem to do our research. We play 3-5-2, home and away, and try to play the game on our terms. Whatever the opponent does, our plan is that our formation and personnel will get more goals than whatever they set up to do.

Yesterday might be the first time Lowe has realised that the consistency that comes with not changing formation or tactics might be a hindrance when the opponent has you completely sussed in the first 5 minutes.

Time will tell in the next few weeks if he seeks to experiment with different gameplans, or whether he trusts 3-5-2 come rain or shine to deliver enough times over a season.

May 8, 2011
Knibbsworth":82xjuwi5 said:

I don’t remember people cutting Adams some slack because he was a young manager or he had more good days then bad at Argyle.

Lowe better watch out next year as being 43 will obviously mean age isn’t on his side.

Aug 5, 2016
I was one of DA's biggest supporters, many other posters criticised me for being too blinkered in fact.

And Adams seemed to lose every match up until Christmas, so how much more support did you think he deserved from the fans exactly?

Lowe has had one bad result, literally one, and there have been some scathing comments such as "he is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is", "he is too busy trying to be pals with the players instead of being their boss" etc.

Do you really think spiteful comments like that are necessary?

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
HC Green":2nv2cfb0 said:
Knibbsworth":2nv2cfb0 said:

I don’t remember people cutting Adams some slack because he was a young manager or he had more good days then bad at Argyle.

Lowe better watch out next year as being 43 will obviously mean age isn’t on his side.

We haven't waited until December to start getting into double figure points.
Lowe didn't cower away after the defeat, and also didn't come out and blame the shirt colour, or algae or any other crap excuse.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
HC Green":2ce7g11d said:
Knibbsworth":2ce7g11d said:

In terms of points were 10 games ahead of both of Adams' seasons in league 1. So yeah, think Lowe can have some slack comparatively

Jul 6, 2005
Lowe had a shocker yesterday in terms of selection and tactics on the day against a better team who are lucky to have a bigger budget than us, but it was more of a one-off compared to Adams, where Argyle's form was far more streaky and included a couple of long periods without hardly winning as well as some periods where we hardly lost.

As I said last night on another thread, days like yesterday clearly show that Lowe is not a serious candidate for a decent Championship clubs which is to our advantage. He can continue to learn his trade with Argyle and after a season of mid-table consolidation this year, maybe push on for a tilt at the Play-offs next season.

Lowe is a good young Manager who is learning all of the time and he has good people around him to help. It's an old cliché that you learn more from adversary than you do from success and I think that will be the case for Lowe from yesterday's debacle.

As an observation, I believe he needs to focus a little bit more on the opposition and use tactics which will stop them playing, rather than just relying on his attacking ideas. However, I don't want him to get like Adams did in his final season where he seemed to concentrate all of his attention on the opposition and neglected our attacking options, the most obvious example of this was the Sunderland away game where Carey spent most of the game holding hands with Sawyer and Ladapo never had a team mate within 30 yards of him.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
HC Green":v3hm0l66 said:

Lowe didn't hide after the defeat, he admitted we weren't good enough, he didn't come up with some bogus excuse to cover himself, he's also actually got us going before December which is something his predecessor couldn't quite get the hang of in L1. So yes, I think Lowe does deserve some slack.