Goodbye to the loan players | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goodbye to the loan players

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
oldage":1acuwqfj said:
Can see M Cooper being first choice keeper next season.
Assuming Palmer was on a good salary could hopefully use any money saved by not resigning him to sign Hardie.

Argyle will continue to need a good second keeper whilst operating in a higher division. What sort of quality is Argyles former No 3 keeper? Is he capable of stepping up?

May 8, 2011
Quintrell_Green":2k4tks3n said:
oldage":2k4tks3n said:
Can see M Cooper being first choice keeper next season.
Assuming Palmer was on a good salary could hopefully use any money saved by not resigning him to sign Hardie.

Argyle will continue to need a good second keeper whilst operating in a higher division. What sort of quality is Argyles former No 3 keeper? Is he capable of stepping up?

Harry Townsend was released.

Aug 5, 2016
Devizes Green":1is7525y said:
They were an incredible group of Loan players and as a group probably the best I have seen in my 50 years of supporting Argyle,certainly Palmer,Cooper and Hardie would be great additions although unfortunately due to financial constraints I cannot see any happening

Ryan Lowe will need to produce miracles to find a similar group for next season but hopefully he can

Did Lowe not produce a miracle in the first place by finding them?

Or was it a simple case of picking his chum Dewsnip's brains and contacts?

Signing Palmer, Hardie, Bakinson and G. Cooper would be superb business, talented young players who will only get better.

For those who doubt them, these players earned promotion to the division above, and played Bristol Rovers off the pitch when they were 4th in League One at the time.

In various Sarcevic threads, numerous posters say he is a League Two player. Yet he has been voted Player of the Season in a promotion campaign, and was everpresent in DA's team which finished 7th, which suggests he can do alright in League One.

Some people are too quick to bash our players. That crop will do fine in League One, getting them back here preferably contracted to PAFC is the only hard part.

Jan 11, 2017
I remember back to the season when we had Craig Cathcart, Alan Judge and Paul Gallagher on loan in the championship.
They were quite good from memory. Especially Gallagher.

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
IanH":fg1mhg8i said:
I remember back to the season when we had Craig Cathcart, Alan Judge and Paul Gallagher on loan in the championship.
They were quite good from memory. Especially Gallagher.

You can add Elliot Ward to that list too.

Jun 27, 2019
Knibbsworth":twuj6v5f said:
Devizes Green":twuj6v5f said:
They were an incredible group of Loan players and as a group probably the best I have seen in my 50 years of supporting Argyle,certainly Palmer,Cooper and Hardie would be great additions although unfortunately due to financial constraints I cannot see any happening

Ryan Lowe will need to produce miracles to find a similar group for next season but hopefully he can

Signing Palmer, Hardie, Bakinson and G. Cooper would be superb business, talented young players who will only get better.

For those who doubt them, these players earned promotion to the division above, and played Bristol Rovers off the pitch when they were 4th in League One at the time.

In various Sarcevic threads, numerous posters say he is a League Two player. Yet he has been voted Player of the Season in a promotion campaign, and was everpresent in DA's team which finished 7th, which suggests he can do alright in League One.

Some people are too quick to bash our players. That crop will do fine in League One, getting them back here preferably contracted to PAFC is the only hard part.

If by ever-present you mean he missed 17 games then, yes, he was ever-present that season.

I love a bit of Sarce but I'm realistic about how he'll perform in League One given his previous stints at that level. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't then I trust RL to find a better replacement.

Mar 16, 2009
London
WoodsyGreen":2f40iyph said:
Knibbsworth":2f40iyph said:
Devizes Green":2f40iyph said:

If by ever-present you mean he missed 17 games then, yes, he was ever-present that season.

I love a bit of Sarce but I'm realistic about how he'll perform in League One given his previous stints at that level. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't then I trust RL to find a better replacement.

I think Sarcevic looked leaner and more refined as a player this season, and I'm saying that as an Adams fan.

28 is a great age for a central midfielder too. The experience vs peak fitness factors mean he's most likely got the best 2 years of his career coming right up. He'd be an asset for us in League 1 I'm sure.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Big Green Limo":2wu25cub said:
It's a bit worrying relying on loanees to gain promotion.

Itā€™s completely normal. Swindon scored 62 goals this season and 38 were scored by the two loanee strikers. Crewe also has 3 loaners in their squad.

Itā€™s an obvious way for lower league teams to add quality to the squad without breaking the bank, and often leads to attracting players you otherwise wouldnā€™t.

Mar 14, 2009
If l had a choice of one player, it would be Palmer to return.

Saved us numerous times and his handling was fantastic.

George Cooper was excellent but he isn't suited to the defensive work a wing back requires to do. So unless he played in the CAM position where do you play him if we only play with wing backs?? To me he would be suited to a 4-3-3 where you utilise his ability as a left forward/winger.

Hardie was excellent too in his short time here. Just need to see more of him where as Palmer we seen for most of season.

Bakinson isn't for me. Certainly not as a CDM. Further forward l thought he looked better but sometimes when defending (and lm thinking that first half against Mansfield) there were numerous chances as we had a big hole in centre of pitch. When Josh Grant played there it helped the back 3 more.

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":3fwkh88x said:
If l had a choice of one player, it would be Palmer to return.

Saved us numerous times and his handling was fantastic.

George Cooper was excellent but he isn't suited to the defensive work a wing back requires to do. So unless he played in the CAM position where do you play him if we only play with wing backs?? To me he would be suited to a 4-3-3 where you utilise his ability as a left forward/winger.

Hardie was excellent too in his short time here. Just need to see more of him where as Palmer we seen for most of season.

Bakinson isn't for me. Certainly not as a CDM. Further forward l thought he looked better but sometimes when defending (and lm thinking that first half against Mansfield) there were numerous chances as we had a big hole in centre of pitch. When Josh Grant played there it helped the back 3 more.
We can replace Palmer with M Cooper . We will find it very difficult to replace Hardie. His type of player is a rarity ,a natural goalscorer.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
Lots of expectations being placed on the shoulders of a very young man in Mike Cooper. Hope that either hes up to it or that people dont turn on him and ruin him if things dont go as is expected.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Mark Pedlar":3fdjqzgi said:
Lots of expectations being placed on the shoulders of a very young man in Mike Cooper. Hope that either hes up to it or that people dont turn on him and ruin him if things dont go as is expected.

Thing is heā€™s been on the fringe of the first team for three years now. He wouldā€™ve been deserving of his breakthrough in the relegation season where both our goalkeepers performed poorly. This year, Palmer got the gloves first day out and has earned his spot.

If Cooper is going to reach his potential he needs more than just cup games now, he needs proper minutes. If thatā€™s on loan so be it, but given when he has played, particularly in youth games he has been outstanding, then throwing him in the deep end might be the right thing to do. We have an experienced defence around him and a management that instills belief in youngsters. The environment for his development is as good as it is ever going to be.

Based on limited evidence, I really think the current management and structure above them will change the impact of our youth players. Weā€™ve already seen Jephcott thriving, Randell, Cooper and (a very raw Lolos) being involved. I think we can really kick on in this department and in the post-COVID footballing reality it will help us build the squad without breaking the bank.