Graham Carey (27.04.20 - to be released) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey (27.04.20 - to be released)

Jul 12, 2016
SwimWithTheTide":arbd3dmz said:
German Shepherd":arbd3dmz said:
To say Carey didn't give 100% is quite frankly ludicrous. He was the most committed player on the pitch no matter how good/average or badly he was playing.

Agree with this.

And to suggest he "jumped ship" is absurd, given he renewed his contract after 2 fantastic seasons with us. He showed us great loyalty to stick with us for 4 years.

When we were on"the crest of a wave" of course Carey wanted to stay with us on his lucrative contract. As soon as "the ship started to sink" he abandoned us rather than try to salvage something.
What else is that but jumping ship?

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
All about opinion and mine is that his disciplinary record was such because of his petulant attitude when things weren't going his way

Let's not confuse him signing a new deal when he didn't get the offers he was supposedly going to receive with him being loyal to Argyle

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Liam Vercoe":3nt4e4ix said:
Biggs":3nt4e4ix said:
One of my absolute favourites.

Great player in his own right, but the symbolism of having an all-scoring, all-creating best-in-the-league number 10 after years of administration, kids, loanees and Chadwicks and Feeneys, was fantastic. Seeing a player like that with an Argyle badge on his chest after all that felt amazing, AND he cared.

100%, totally, without a shadow of a doubt, this.

Agree. Carey rarely gave less than 100% and scored some absolute belters. I watched the YouTube compilation last week and we often forget the pinpoint crosses he delivered on a regular basis. He was often worth the match fee on his own.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":1i7i8kf7 said:
When we were on"the crest of a wave" of course Carey wanted to stay with us on his lucrative contract. As soon as "the ship started to sink" he abandoned us rather than try to salvage something.

Why 'of course' wanted to stay? He could have got better offers across League One and the Championship.

As for abandoning us, I'd have almost been annoyed FOR him if he'd decided to stay. A player like that is doing himself and his family a disservice playing in the fourth tier, and by that point had paid back his free transfer signing and relatively modest wages several hundred times over.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That goal at Blackpool!

THE best goal I've ever seen from anyone in an Argyle shirt, Frio's at Port Vale and Tommy's flying header v Bristol City both pale in comparison to that one.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":q4sry3ru said:
Would be the Christmas present of all Christmas presents and just imagine what he could teach Mayor.

Carey left to play in front of 1000 crowds as soon as we were relegated.
Danny Mayor turned down Ipswich, a higher division and I suspect higher wages to relocate to Plymouth.
I know who I'd rather was playing for us.
We're less than half a season in and Danny Mayor is clearly gifted, but clearly struggling for confidence. Perhaps better to encourage him at this point rather than ooze on about one of the relegation outfit
At least someone like Sarcevic, although not as talented as Carey, is demonstrating that he has a right to wrong at Plymouth Argyle

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I understand what you are saying but I simply don't agree.

Carey gave his all for the club, as yet and as much as I purr as the next person when he's got the ball, I haven't seen the Danny Mayor the player I saw tear us apart at Gigg Lane a few years back. There could be a myriad of reasons and I'd love the see that player again.

At this point in time, Carey is in my top 20 of all time great Argyle players I've seen. DM isn't YET, nowhere near it in fact.

Apr 4, 2015
I can't believe some people dont want him back, he was an absolute gem of a player who gave 100% all the time absolutely no doubt. He gave us so many memorable moments and goals I can't remember them all. I would have him back in a heartbeat no matter what his wages were, get rid of the 4/5 players like Clarke and Moore , Taylor and he would be paid for. We would be certainties for promotion with him in the side. If there is the slightest chance then we have to get him back, come on Ryan, go get him even if it is just a loan til the end of the season.

Feb 8, 2005
Wishful thinking guys.

If you think Lowe would want a player that didn't want to be at Home Park then you don't know Ryan Lowe. Carey is history. Lowe will get his own men in.

I agree that Carey had a lot of skill, but he was also a liability at times, losing possession or giving the ball away in our half of the field. I have seen goals given away because of him trying to tackle back and giving away a free kick in a dangerous position.

An attacker he was, a provider he was, but a defender he was not, but Adams expected him to track back and defend and it showed up his deficiencies.

He was good in division 2 but not as good in division 1. Maybe he had found his level.

His free kicks weren't outstanding. There were others in the league that could be relied on to score from free kick around the area far more frequently.

There is no doubting he was a skillful player, and was outstanding amongst the team that we had at that time, but he could not be considered to be one of our all time greats.

Mayor reminds me of Carey a little. They both have their limitations. He can give the ball away too cheaply at times, and in dangerous positions, giving the opposition the chance of a counter attack, but we are talking second division here, and I suspect both Carey and Mayor would be less successful the higher up the league they were able to play.

Jun 12, 2006
Aug 5, 2016
jimsing":1ae6q42x said:
Wishful thinking guys.

If you think Lowe would want a player that didn't want to be at Home Park then you don't know Ryan Lowe. Carey is history. Lowe will get his own men in.

I agree that Carey had a lot of skill, but he was also a liability at times, losing possession or giving the ball away in our half of the field. I have seen goals given away because of him trying to tackle back and giving away a free kick in a dangerous position.

An attacker he was, a provider he was, but a defender he was not, but Adams expected him to track back and defend and it showed up his deficiencies.

He was good in division 2 but not as good in division 1. Maybe he had found his level.

His free kicks weren't outstanding. There were others in the league that could be relied on to score from free kick around the area far more frequently.

There is no doubting he was a skillful player, and was outstanding amongst the team that we had at that time, but he could not be considered to be one of our all time greats.

Mayor reminds me of Carey a little. They both have their limitations. He can give the ball away too cheaply at times, and in dangerous positions, giving the opposition the chance of a counter attack, but we are talking second division here, and I suspect both Carey and Mayor would be less successful the higher up the league they were able to play.

Completely disagree. You will have to wake me up the next time we have an entertaining virtuoso match winner who can provide goals, skills, dribbles, assists and long range strikes to win games and leave fans purring.

Man Utd fans idolise Eric, Southampton fans revere Le Tissier, we get a player who did similar for us and fans queue up to say how rubbish he was and how his tackling wasn't the best. Unbelievable, and a great shame. He was a once in a generation player who hasn't done it elsewhere, but it clicked for him at Argyle and he did spectacular things. In thirty years time, some on here will be telling their grandkids about goals they saw him score.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
What is it with Argyle fans and trying to find any reason possible to slag off a genuinely quality player?

For three years he was one of, it not the only, player outside the top flight to get double figures for goals and assists every season. Even if you include the prem it’s probably only KDB that would join that club. Many of the goals he scored were borderline ridiculous but we actually came to expect it from him. As has already been mentioned that goal at Blackpool will take some beating and nobody has even mentioned the one at Blackburn or at home to Yeovil or Shrewsbury. He won divisional player of the month awards a few times with us As well as several goals of the month. And got in the team of the season for L2 in 2016/17.

As good as Mayor has been for Bury, there’s literally no comparison (yet) to what Carey achieved. 16 goals in L1 in 2017/18 and a similar number of assists. Harsh reality but that’s figures in L1 that DM has come nowhere near.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
As an exile only about to get to half a dozen or so games a season now I have been fortunate with Carey. Just in League 1 I saw his fantastic goal at Blackpool, the free kick against Pompey and of course the outrageous showboating skill in the same game. In total I have maybe seen him play 10 to 12 times but I always felt something exciting was going to happen when he had the ball and several goals and assists were my reward. He has never played above the lower leagues and so it has hard to rank him with of the midfielders who played for us in the 2nd tier but in his defence the standard of League 1 is higher now than it has ever been so I think he could have expressed himself well at that level. In 55 seasons watching Argyle the number of players who regularly raised my excitement levels in possession can probably be counted in single figures or not many more. Carey would come into that bracket for me, on his day a joy to watch.

Jul 12, 2016
themightykeithfear":hazvp75v said:
Biggs":hazvp75v said:
oldage":hazvp75v said:

Why 'of course' wanted to stay? He could have got better offers across League One and the Championship.

As for abandoning us, I'd have almost been annoyed FOR him if he'd decided to stay. A player like that is doing himself and his family a disservice playing in the fourth tier, and by that point had paid back his free transfer signing and relatively modest wages several hundred times over.

Absolutely, jumping ship is a ridiculous accusation, he had offers to go to the Championship in 2018 and turned them down almost certainly for less money to stay. But at his age with the prospect of League 2 or a move to secure his family's future what would you do ? And he never gave less than 100% even when things werent going for him, nor did his family, I remember a couple of seasons ago at Colchester they were leading the singing! And i've got many memories to show my grandchildren, that goal at Blackpool, and even my prem supporting mates went wow at that piece of skill that put the Pompey fullback on his backside.
You're missing the point .Carey was a large part of the team that got relegated. If we had stayed in league 1 he might of stayed too. Last season ,whether you like or not, he underperformed and instead of trying to rectify the situation ,like Sarcevic, chose to leave the sinking ship.

Jul 12, 2016
Knibbsworth":1pdaesfr said:
jimsing":1pdaesfr said:
Wishful thinking guys.

Completely disagree. You will have to wake me up the next time we have an entertaining virtuoso match winner who can provide goals, skills, dribbles, assists and long range strikes to win games and leave fans purring.

Man Utd fans idolise Eric, Southampton fans revere Le Tissier, we get a player who did similar for us and fans queue up to say how rubbish he was and how his tackling wasn't the best. Unbelievable, and a great shame. He was a once in a generation player who hasn't done it elsewhere, but it clicked for him at Argyle and he did spectacular things. In thirty years time, some on here will be telling their grandkids about goals they saw him score.
Nobody said he was rubbish ,it's about opinions.Some are recalling his performances through " rose tinted glasses".
In truth if he was so sought after why did he move to Bulgaria