Graham Carey (27.04.20 - to be released) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey (27.04.20 - to be released)

Aug 5, 2016
He is playing for a club which plays Champions League qualifiers in a country with a much lower tax threshold and a much cheaper cost of living.

The money he takes home now is probably the same as he would for any club in the Championship, relatively speaking.

Jun 27, 2019
oldage":35oxrcps said:
themightykeithfear":35oxrcps said:
Biggs":35oxrcps said:
oldage":35oxrcps said:
When we were on"the crest of a wave" of course Carey wanted to stay with us on his lucrative contract. As soon as "the ship started to sink" he abandoned us rather than try to salvage something.
What else is that but jumping ship?

Why 'of course' wanted to stay? He could have got better offers across League One and the Championship.

As for abandoning us, I'd have almost been annoyed FOR him if he'd decided to stay. A player like that is doing himself and his family a disservice playing in the fourth tier, and by that point had paid back his free transfer signing and relatively modest wages several hundred times over.

Absolutely, jumping ship is a ridiculous accusation, he had offers to go to the Championship in 2018 and turned them down almost certainly for less money to stay. But at his age with the prospect of League 2 or a move to secure his family's future what would you do ? And he never gave less than 100% even when things werent going for him, nor did his family, I remember a couple of seasons ago at Colchester they were leading the singing! And i've got many memories to show my grandchildren, that goal at Blackpool, and even my prem supporting mates went wow at that piece of skill that put the Pompey fullback on his backside.
You're missing the point .Carey was a large part of the team that got relegated. If we had stayed in league 1 he might of stayed too. Last season ,whether you like or not, he underperformed and instead of trying to rectify the situation ,like Sarcevic, chose to leave the sinking ship.

1. Sarcevic underperformed too.
2. How do you know Sarcevic had offers?
3. Carey was out of contract; Sarcevic wasn't.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Carey's performance was regularly criticised on here last season, often unfairly, in my view, as he was just one cog in a side that was often not functioning and its wasn't down to his lack of effort on the whole. I don't think there is any chance of him returning to Argyle, so just hang onto those memories of amazing goals from the season before.

Comparisons with Danny Mayor are pointless. Mayor was over-hyped by a new manager keen to get Argyle fans behind his signings, he clearly has ability, has had some good games, but needs a special goal or two to make his mark and boost his confidence.

Oct 31, 2015
I don't get the ex player thing with us. GC10 was sublime and the best player we have seen in green since the championship days but he left and has moved on.

When GC10 played well we got results when he didn't we were bang average to poor. This team a little short of where we were with DA in his first season but not far off and the best thing is it ticks with many different players in the starting 11. Personally I think Sarcs is key to this team and Josh Grant but it's the sum of all the parts.

Let's stop looking back at our ex players and managers and look forward. RL will have targets but I doubt any of them have been linked with us in the past.

Jan 27, 2012
The likes of Tommy Tynan and Mickey Evans came back for second spells at the club and weren't too bad !

I can't imagine Carey coming back though- Lowe thinks Mayor is a better player (!) and I doubt Argyle can afford his wages,

Aug 13, 2009
If he was in the first flush of youth then I might say bring him back, but he's not, his day is done, we move on.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
CSKA Sofia are on a winter break and judging by this Instagram message the Carey family don't seem too happy living in Bulgaria.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":3blmc05x said:
CSKA Sofia are on a winter break and judging by this Instagram message the Carey family don't seem too happy living in Bulgaria.

That sounds like a ‘someone come and get me’ plea.

Sep 6, 2006
Carey not the brightest firework in the box. Has realized that Sofia is 'very different to uk'. :facepalm:

Jun 27, 2019
Tugboat":pibzf4sx said:
PL2 3DQ":pibzf4sx said:

Absolutely 100%.

Sadly it won't be us, though. Where would he fit into the team for starters. You'd have to drop Mayor or Sarce, which is never gonna happen, or play him at left wing-back - which isn't realistic either. Plus there'd be a risk of damaging squad harmony if a terrace hero returned on big wages to show the new boys just how it's done.

I'd love him to return but it just isn't feasible.

Jun 24, 2008
WoodsyGreen":2kmif9bv said:
Tugboat":2kmif9bv said:
PL2 3DQ":2kmif9bv said:

Absolutely 100%.

Sadly it won't be us, though. Where would he fit into the team for starters. You'd have to drop Mayor or Sarce, which is never gonna happen, or play him at left wing-back - which isn't realistic either. Plus there'd be a risk of damaging squad harmony if a terrace hero returned on big wages to show the new boys just how it's done.

I'd love him to return but it just isn't feasible.

I wouldn't think twice about dropping Mayor for Carey, I would try him at LWB too. If Cooper is worth the risk there then so is Carey. Cooper is defo a worry defensively, i would be more confident in Carey. Basically, for me Carey is the sort of player you find a position in the starting 11 for.. although i agree with your notion of it affecting harmony as well as the fact its not going to happen.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
If Carey was available to us, and for what’s it worth I don’t think he will be, but if he was then we’d accommodate him without a doubt. There’s not a player in this current team that would come before Carey On the team sheet based on his previous ability.

I think he’ll return the U.K. Either SPL or L1