Grandstand photos on GoS | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand photos on GoS

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Having just viewed the recent pictures of the roof frames being removed,it's interesting to note that everything was riveted together,no evidence of welding.Also,well done on another set of great pictures.

rongreenblood":12l3698x said:
Having just viewed the recent pictures of the roof frames being removed,it's interesting to note that everything was riveted together,no evidence of welding.Also,well done on another set of great pictures.

Welding of steel frames structures was still a "relatively" new process in the 1950's. There are a number of instances of it's use in the US prior to WWII, but typically didn't become widespread until the late 1940's. I would hazard a guess that steel frame was pretty uncommon in Plymouth back then, so tried and tested methods were used.

That said, I believe the Dingles building and others like it are steel frame, So it would be interesting to find out if they were welded or riveted.

Riveting, innit?

Sep 19, 2015
Please do not think that Oddball's comments reflect anybody with any sanity Steve. GOS is an absolute treasure and we are beyond lucky to have such a service at the tip of our fingers.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Nothing snide Baz, open and up front as always.

You get the hump because spellcheck change Baz to Daz?? :roll: As I said, 'stupid post' and one that is not unusual for you.

Also matches your 'I take photos but nobody wants to see them' - If you took the time to learn how to put photos on here (like many, many people do) you wouldn't have to bother me with them would you? I spend enough time on here without having to deal with your photos all of the time.

Hope that's not 'snide' either.