Harry Burgoyne (loan cancelled) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Harry Burgoyne (loan cancelled)

Mar 23, 2008
PL2 3DQ":2tvi1ryi said:
Burgoyne coming back could be a turning point of the season.
It depends if Adams will play a keeper just coming back from injury or play Macey who is now used to playing in League One.
It also might be that we can't return Macey to Arsenal.

The stats show that Macey has conceded the most goals in League One, he hasn't been helped by an ever-changing defence but equally the defenders might have no confidence in Macey.
He's very good at saving shots and some saves have been memorable but he has so many faults - he struggles with kicking a ball straight, he doesn't collect crosses even if they are in the six yard area, he pushes the ball back into the danger area and he regularly gets beaten at his near post. At age 24 it's really surprising that he has so many defects in his game and that they haven't been sorted out by now, his mistakes and lack of command in the area is costing us games.

Burgoyne really can't be any worse.
Exactly how i see it, i do feel for Macey and Smith-Brown and Moore for that matter in the respect that they are all young and inexperienced and could really do with a vocal and domineering presence to help them grow and gain confidence. That said, i agree that Macey doesn't get the defence and we would be better off with a keeper who was more assured and vocal to inspire confidence.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Harry Burgoyne is even less experienced than Macey. There’s certainly no benefit to having both when the wages could be used strengthening outfield.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
It should be remembered that Burgoyne was Adams' first choice (apparently), so one would hope he is 'better'. I don't want to be unfair to Macey, but we would have had significantly fewer options when he signed as cover.

Aug 5, 2005
Quintrell_Green":15jacs5q said:
gaspargomez":15jacs5q said:
If McCormick was still here Macey might have lost his place in the starting line up by now.

Perhaps Adams would want Burgoyne back here to provide some proper competition ?

Letheren is an emergency back up at best and Cooper is a bit too young at the moment. As things stand, Macey keeps his shirt whatever sort of performance he delivers. And he's been dodgy at times this season.

I would mention that Pym of Exeter was aged 18 years 10 months when first selected in goal for a League match at Exeter. He played the final 4 games of that season ending 2014. He carried on from there. Cooper is already 19. When will he be old enough, I ask? It strikes me that the problems of playing young player in the Premiership is becoming also an issue in the lower Leagues, brought about largely by over anxious managers concerning their jobs.

It's pointless making comparisons as each player will mature at a different rate.

Here's a really interesting article about Josh Walker, former England under-20 captain who now plays for Edinburgh City. He blames the failure of his career on being played in the Premiership too early

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46386897

T

The Grumpy Loyal

PL2 3DQ":3enfmcwi said:
It depends if Adams will play a keeper just coming back from injury or play Macey who is now used to playing in League One.

The stats show that Macey has conceded the most goals in League One, he hasn't been helped by an ever-changing defence but equally the defenders might have no confidence in Macey.
He's very good at saving shots and some saves have been memorable but he has so many faults - he struggles with kicking a ball straight, he doesn't collect crosses even if they are in the six yard area, he pushes the ball back into the danger area and he regularly gets beaten at his near post. At age 24 it's really surprising that he has so many defects in his game and that they haven't been sorted out by now, his mistakes and lack of command in the area is costing us games.

Macey, if you're being really kind is a mediocre keeper behind probably the poorest defence collectively that I've ever seen, if you don't count the Admin period when we were literally forced to play the youth.

Adams will know only too well that he's made some severe recruitment errors. The question will be if he is able to rectify the problem in January. It's a real sad state of affairs when you are lamenting the absence of a pedestrian full-back like Sawyer, or when Joel Grant looks to be your most effective creative force. Desperate times.

As far as Burgoyne goes, yep he has to be a certainty to get the No1 shirt as soon as he's fit enough.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Harry Burgoyne@BurgoyneH1

It was great to be back out on the pitch last night! A long 5 months of hard work paid off and im back bigger and stronger! Time for the next challenge!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Bring him back !!

Apr 9, 2011
Whilst we dont know the full details of the contract with Wolves re Burgoyne it really does seem on the face of it as though they have jam on both sides. However its just our sh***y luck its worked out the way it has with us still having to pay his wages.Glad for his sake though he is on the mend!
With regards to Macey ,we sit almost in line with the goal line & i've lost count of the number of times he has stayed rooted to his line instead of coming for crosses & corners, instead he hopefully relies on his reflexes to get him out of trouble. Sorry but not a keeper who fills me with much confidence.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":yl4suebi said:

I don't see it as the turning point to the season. Having 2 full backs who can play higher than Sunday League would make more difference.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Keepitgreen":35dpdlhc said:
Frank_Butcher":35dpdlhc said:
Keepitgreen":35dpdlhc said:
Kentishgreen":35dpdlhc said:
How can he be playing for Wolves if he’s on a season long loan to us? Just a thought.
Part of his rehab? He's their player so they'll want to make sure he's 100% before letting him come back.

Hmm - can they do that contractually? Does seem a bit odd.

Who knows? The only things that's been revealed about the contract are that we've continued to pay his wages while he's been out and that Wolves can terminate it in January. Like you say Frank, it seems a bit odd, but I reckon there's something in the deal to cover it otherwise Argyle could have insisted that he comes straight back here once he started training.

Jordan Bentley played for Argyle today, isn’t he on loan at Truro? Is Rooney still on loan as well? He also played today.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Quintrell_Green":3u45uw9r said:
I would mention that Pym of Exeter was aged 18 years 10 months when first selected in goal for a League match at Exeter. He played the final 4 games of that season ending 2014. He carried on from there. Cooper is already 19. When will he be old enough, I ask? It strikes me that the problems of playing young player in the Premiership is becoming also an issue in the lower Leagues, brought about largely by over anxious managers concerning their jobs.

I think next season, I think for a Keeper 20 is probably the age to start. Actually I can see many of the young players stepping up next season, Hodges, Law, Battle, Sangster, Jephcott, Fletcher etc but it would be cruel to put them in now in this mess.

May 16, 2016
Is it just an Internet fact, or is Harry Burgoyne really the best keeper we've ever paid a wage for ? Considering most of us have never seen him play, it seems a bit daft to pin our Seasons survival on a Player that might not even return.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
He was part of the debacle at Yeovil, Guiri. Rounded by one of their players if I remember right?

I can't say I was hugely impressed, but our keeper for the other half was Letheren and probably worse. I wrote the game off as ah well it's only preseason, but it's become quite telling for our season.

May 16, 2016
SwimWithTheTide":10wqiip3 said:
He was part of the debacle at Yeovil, Guiri. Rounded by one of their players if I remember right?

I can't say I was hugely impressed, but our keeper for the other half was Letheren and probably worse. I wrote the game off as ah well it's only preseason, but it's become quite telling for our season.

They're all good...........on paper :(