Harry Burgoyne (loan cancelled) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Harry Burgoyne (loan cancelled)

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Are not their CVs roughly equal? It might be argued that Macey's on paper is now better perhaps because of his more experience in actually playing more games at League One level. I can think back down the decades when we have benefited from some really excellent loan keepers. I think of Barron in particular and the guy now with Brighton, whose names escapes me. He also played at Fulham.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think Stockdale was the keeper who had his pocket picked by a forward who sneaked up behind him as he rolled the ball out intending to kick it upfield.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
davie nine":z5sxxp51 said:
I think Stockdale was the keeper who had his pocket picked by a forward who sneaked up behind him as he rolled the ball out intending to kick it upfield.

Yes he was ! It was at Bramall Lane. I was talking to a Sheff Utd fan in a pub after the match who was standing in the home end behind Stockdale. He told me he shouted out 'he's behind you!' like in the pantomime. I asked him why he did it & he said he couldn't help himself. Apparently it took a lot of effort to persuade everyone around him that he was a fellow blade !

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Andy Holland":2ehkvaj3 said:
Loan cancelled by mutual consent.

There goes Burgoyne as our saviour then!

That's a blow. Hopefully we can find another keeper in January.

Apr 9, 2011
Thats a bummer but had a gut feeling that might happen. Am afraid Macey does not fill me with any great confidence we surely will be looking for another keeper

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
More of the budget wasted then although admittedly through Injury which nobody could foresee. The disappointing part is We have paid a percentage of his salary whilst he's been injured and now he is getting back to fitness the loan has been cancelled whether that was at our request or theirs who knows? Either way he is now available to go out on loan for someone else to benefit.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Worrying.

Macey is performing poorly, he's probably shot confidence wise, and he's got no competition.

I wish McCormick was still here, at least to provide the competition element, I think he'd also be a good leader & motivator even if only on the training ground.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
PL2 3DQ":2nijk6yj said:
Andy Holland":2nijk6yj said:

Surely we will only bring in a new keeper if we can move on one of the three we have.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
cheshiregreen":2g2u74ke said:
PL2 3DQ":2g2u74ke said:
Andy Holland":2g2u74ke said:

Surely we will only bring in a new keeper if we can move on one of the three we have.

Yep. Macey is on a season long loan, Letheren would have to take a wage cut to leave & Cooper is a young prospect.

I strongly doubt we'll bring in another keeper and that's worrying.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I don't think Macey has been as bad as some are making out - certainly his shot stopping is very good and he actually deals with crosses pretty well - the issue is moreso with high balls into the box from deeper areas which he seems unsure about. And of course he kicking is iffy - weirdly, it seems better on his left foot if anything!

His performances have been slipping in the past month or so, and I would have liked to have seen an upgrade in January.

McCormick is too old, it was showing last season.
Letheren hadn't exactly covered himself in glory in the reserves this season.
Cooper may be good enough, but I'd worry about putting a young keeper behind our shaky defence, it could wreck his confidence. His time will come I'm sure, but you feel that he may not be ready yet, certainly not for a relegation scrap.

The unfortunate circumstances with the Burgoyne situation will have of course seen our budget take a hit, and now if we want to find a new keeper in January it will be taking another hit.

I'd be tempted to put Letheren back in and see if he can rediscover his form of last season, where (contrary to some people's memories) he was absolutely fine. The added experience in our back 5 would probably be beneficial too.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":1hiodsp5 said:
So Argyle pay Burgoyne's wage up until he gets fit, and then his loan gets cancelled?
Swings and roundabouts - iirc we sent Simon Walton on a season long loan to Sheffield United whereupon they'd cover most of his wages - he then got a serious injury and never played for them.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":1nbebvji said:
I don't think Macey has been as bad as some are making out - certainly his shot stopping is very good and he actually deals with crosses pretty well - the issue is moreso with high balls into the box from deeper areas which he seems unsure about. And of course he kicking is iffy - weirdly, it seems better on his left foot if anything!

His performances have been slipping in the past month or so, and I would have liked to have seen an upgrade in January.

McCormick is too old, it was showing last season.
Letheren hadn't exactly covered himself in glory in the reserves this season.
Cooper may be good enough, but I'd worry about putting a young keeper behind our shaky defence, it could wreck his confidence. His time will come I'm sure, but you feel that he may not be ready yet, certainly not for a relegation scrap.

The unfortunate circumstances with the Burgoyne situation will have of course seen our budget take a hit, and now if we want to find a new keeper in January it will be taking another hit.

I'd be tempted to put Letheren back in and see if he can rediscover his form of last season, where (contrary to some people's memories) he was absolutely fine. The added experience in our back 5 would probably be beneficial too.

Letheren did a job last season, but I definitely wouldn't put him in outside of an emergency. He got a huge amount of help from a very good back 4 last season. If we put him in now he'd have a lot more to deal with and I think his lack of ability would show, as was the case in pre season & in the checkatrade games.