Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can't see any comparison at all. He's more like a better Garita.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
pepilgrim":2xee5vip said:
Freddie Ladapo seems to me might be doing many of the aparrantly daft things Paul Mariner did before becoming skilled in ball control,heading,scoring,etc. I believe we have a gem here and I look forward to watching his development.

Paul Mariner definitely 'had it' by the time he was 20. Freddie is already 25. Does a leopard change its' spots? That is the leading question.

Aug 13, 2009
What a ludicrous suggestion!!

Ladapo a new Paul Mariner!

Mariner is by far the best player I have seen wearing an Argyle shirt,
and who went on to have a great career playing for some top teams and England.
Ladapo is already 25 by which time Mariner was playing for Ipswich when they had a Championship challenging team. Can't see Freddie setting the Premiership alight anytime soon.

No, the comparison is ridiculous

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
IJN":2c616rlf said:

Except Garita would have scored 4 of the chances that Ladapo's had in the last 8 days. Mind you he probably wouldn't have created them.

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":3r236plx said:
IJN":3r236plx said:

Except Garita would have scored 4 of the chances that Ladapo's had in the last 8 days. Mind you he probably wouldn't have created them.

I'd say their finishing is similar

Mar 16, 2009
London
Mark Pedlar":1aauntdw said:
IJN":1aauntdw said:

Finishing is largely about confidence. If Freddieā€™s exquisite backflick that agonisingly hit the inside of the post a few games ago had gone in, heā€™d have scored a hatful by now. Still very early on in the season - I reckon he could get close to 20 goals before itā€™s over.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
i was wrong about Barnes, and I loved to be proved premature about Freddie.

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Similar start to Reuben before he went on to be a double 20 goals a season striker, give him a chance, he`s ours.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, that's what I always think.

He certainly tries hard and never leaves anything left on the pitch when he comes off.

Aug 5, 2015
There is absolutely no comparison. One of our all time top players v a journeyman who hasnā€™t set the world alight anywhere yet. Granted he has great pace and potential and I hope heā€™s good for us. But a Mariner? Definitely not.

Jan 27, 2012
When I saw at Ladapo's football CV I said that he looked "crap". Most of his football has been played at non-league level (lower non-league level at that) plus he has been rejected by a host of clubs. Unlike some Argyle non-league sucesses of recent years (such as Bolasie, Noone and Barnes) he is not particularly young either. He's been tried in the football league and found to be not good enough so far.

In fairness, he has played much better than I expected. He's not as good as Ryan Taylor, but does has good pace and energy and offers something different. I don't see him playing for England anytime soon. But if he can prove himself as a competant League One striker over the course of a season then he was worth signing. I reckon Taylor will be out for a while and so Argyle are going to be very reliant on him.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

Errrmmm - I'm afraid not. Nowhere near!! Did you ever see the 'young' Paul Mariner play? Started off terrifically good and just got better!! :nworthy:

Freddie might turn into a good Div One centre forward for us. I certainly hope so but needs a few goals now for himself and us!!

Harold Steptoe knew Hercules was the right sort, did the job they wanted him to do, reliable. Took the loaded cart in the right direction! He didn't enter Hercules in the Derby or Grand National expecting him to win it!! :lol:

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
gaspargomez":2cym7c9d said:
When I saw at Ladapo's football CV I said that he looked "crap". Most of his football has been played at non-league level (lower non-league level at that) plus he has been rejected by a host of clubs. Unlike some Argyle non-league sucesses of recent years (such as Bolasie, Noone and Barnes) he is not particularly young either. He's been tried in the football league and found to be not good enough so far.

In fairness, he has played much better than I expected. He's not as good as Ryan Taylor, but does has good pace and energy and offers something different. I don't see him playing for England anytime soon. But if he can prove himself as a competant League One striker over the course of a season then he was worth signing. I reckon Taylor will be out for a while and so Argyle are going to be very reliant on him.
Taylor looked ok this morning