Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bristol Rich":g5nwh3q9 said:
Far too earlier to make fanciful claims like this. Paul Mariner is the greatest striker in our history. I liked Marino Keith a lot but you couldn't put him in the same bracket as Paul Mariner.

Let's be a bit more level headed.
Paul Mariner was a fantastic talent and went on to achieve a great deal after leaving Argyle. But purely on Argyle service I think Wilf Carter could lay a claim for the "greatest striker" tag too.

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":16rau1a5 said:
Balham_Green":16rau1a5 said:
Justin":16rau1a5 said:
Mark Pedlar":16rau1a5 said:
IJN":16rau1a5 said:
I can't see any comparison at all. He's more like a better Garita.

Except Garita would have scored 4 of the chances that Ladapo's had in the last 8 days. Mind you he probably wouldn't have created them.

Finishing is largely about confidence. If Freddie’s exquisite backflick that agonisingly hit the inside of the post a few games ago had gone in, he’d have scored a hatful by now. Still very early on in the season - I reckon he could get close to 20 goals before it’s over.

So he's not mentally strong? Serious flaw.

You could say the same about any striker. Ever.

Including strikers who score lots of goals?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
pedro91":1falxygs said:
gaspargomez":1falxygs said:
When I saw at Ladapo's football CV I said that he looked "crap". Most of his football has been played at non-league level (lower non-league level at that) plus he has been rejected by a host of clubs. Unlike some Argyle non-league sucesses of recent years (such as Bolasie, Noone and Barnes) he is not particularly young either. He's been tried in the football league and found to be not good enough so far.

In fairness, he has played much better than I expected. He's not as good as Ryan Taylor, but does has good pace and energy and offers something different. I don't see him playing for England anytime soon. But if he can prove himself as a competant League One striker over the course of a season then he was worth signing. I reckon Taylor will be out for a while and so Argyle are going to be very reliant on him.
Taylor looked ok this morning

Really? Was he training? Hope so.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":4ffm2uor said:
Justin":4ffm2uor said:
Balham_Green":4ffm2uor said:
Justin":4ffm2uor said:
Mark Pedlar":4ffm2uor said:
IJN":4ffm2uor said:

Except Garita would have scored 4 of the chances that Ladapo's had in the last 8 days. Mind you he probably wouldn't have created them.

Finishing is largely about confidence. If Freddie’s exquisite backflick that agonisingly hit the inside of the post a few games ago had gone in, he’d have scored a hatful by now. Still very early on in the season - I reckon he could get close to 20 goals before it’s over.

Including strikers who score lots of goals?

*Especially* strikers who score lots of goals. They all thrive on confidence.

Name me one that doesn’t.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Quintrell_Green":uqmswzym said:
IJN":uqmswzym said:
i was wrong about Barnes, and I loved to be proved premature about Freddie.

I was wrong about Barnes too, but remember he was so much younger, like Mariner, when he first played for Argyle.
I remember Barnes in his first game missing a glorious error into the Barn Park End goal, and I thought he would never make it. How wrong, I was. Freddie has received good coaching already, and I do wonder, about him.

What is it about him that makes you wonder?

Is it his relentless enthusiasm?
His ability to hold the ball up?
His willingness to take on defenders by running directly at them and at speed?
His ability to pull defenders wide thus creating space for runners from midfield?
His dribbling skills that help him create opportunities out of nothing?
Evidence that he’s capable of the sublime? ( finish vs Millwall)
His youthfulness (25 years old so plenty of years ahead of him)?
His experience at a Premier League club?
His speed?
His height?
His gift for the unexpected?

... any of these?

Sep 6, 2006
quote="Balham_Green"]
Justin":2g91042z said:
Balham_Green":2g91042z said:
Justin":2g91042z said:
Mark Pedlar":2g91042z said:
IJN":2g91042z said:

Including strikers who score lots of goals?[/quote]

*Especially* strikers who score lots of goals. They all thrive on confidence.

Name me one that doesn’t.[/quote]

But the ones who score lots of goals overcome their lack of confidence clearly whereas Freddie doesn't according to your analysis. I suspect he doesn't actually have the ability.

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":3vvajuex said:
Quintrell_Green":3vvajuex said:
IJN":3vvajuex said:
i was wrong about Barnes, and I loved to be proved premature about Freddie.

I was wrong about Barnes too, but remember he was so much younger, like Mariner, when he first played for Argyle.
I remember Barnes in his first game missing a glorious error into the Barn Park End goal, and I thought he would never make it. How wrong, I was. Freddie has received good coaching already, and I do wonder, about him.

What is it about him that makes you wonder?

Is it his relentless enthusiasm?
His ability to hold the ball up?
His willingness to take on defenders by running directly at them and at speed?
His ability to pull defenders wide thus creating space for runners from midfield?
His dribbling skills that help him create opportunities out of nothing?
Evidence that he’s capable of the sublime? ( finish vs Millwall)
His youthfulness (25 years old so plenty of years ahead of him)?
His experience at a Premier League club?
His speed?
His height?
His gift for the unexpected?

... any of these?

His inability to hit a barn door?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Freddie is all of these things .. but unfortunately he does seem to miss quite a lot of chances - but I am encouraged that he’s getting opportunities so he must be doing something right - I’d rather see us create chances (as others might have space to score) rather than be a striker that whilst on the pitch when no chances were created.

As a fan, whilst it may be frustrating it’s better to watch too.

Keep up the good work Freddie!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
davie nine":253tjauq said:
Thanks, Steve.

Even so, he must have been playing schoolboy football up north before Waiters ‘found him and hid him’.
certainly.i think it's a similar scenario to ian wright.he was missed most scouts.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Steve Evans":1xdfyyr7 said:
davie nine":1xdfyyr7 said:
Thanks, Steve.

Even so, he must have been playing schoolboy football up north before Waiters ‘found him and hid him’.
certainly.i think it's a similar scenario to ian wright.he was missed most scouts.

But at least he was kept by Palace, not released, like Freddie

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Justin":1xinm8jo said:
Mark Pedlar":1xinm8jo said:
IJN":1xinm8jo said:

Finishing is mainly about quality, confidence only plays a small part.
I like Ladapo's endeavour. He has created good chances and was feeding off scraps early on. Hopefully, as the team continue to gel, he'll start to hit the target more frequently.

Mar 16, 2009
London
999mattyg":bkywkxeb said:
Justin":bkywkxeb said:
Mark Pedlar":bkywkxeb said:
IJN":bkywkxeb said:

I like Ladapo's endeavour. He has created good chances and was feeding off scraps early on. Hopefully, as the team continue to gel, he'll start to hit the target more frequently.

It’s first and foremost about confidence.
‘Quality’ is subjective.
Look at Alexis Sanchez and his recent goal drout as just one example. Are you saying Sanchez doesn’t have the quality to be a goalscorer?

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":g344m439 said:
999mattyg":g344m439 said:
Justin":g344m439 said:
Mark Pedlar":g344m439 said:
IJN":g344m439 said:

It’s first and foremost about confidence.
‘Quality’ is subjective.
Look at Alexis Sanchez and his recent goal drout as just one example. Are you saying Sanchez doesn’t have the quality to be a goalscorer?

As you say Freddie scored a decent goal v Millwall. Doesn't seem to have made any difference to his confidence. He has not been prolific throughout his career

Mar 16, 2009
London
He’s never had a chance to settle though. 4 in 10 starts for Shrewsbury in this league isn’t bad though. It’s clear he’s a ‘wee nugget’. He ripped up non league and became a sought after hit man - earning a 3 year premier league contract. He’s still young and finally able to settle. Playing for a shrewd manager who knows how to bring the best out of attacking talent.

We’re really lucky to have him.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Justin":18y2o0na said:
..... Playing for a shrewd manager who knows how to bring the best out of attacking talent.

:lol: :funny: :crazy: