Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Mark Pedlar":13kzp1uh said:
Justin":13kzp1uh said:
..... Playing for a shrewd manager who knows how to bring the best out of attacking talent.

:lol: :funny: :crazy:

You’re just descending further into Balham territory, Mark. Any suggestion that Derek Adams is a good manager gets ridiculed?

Graham Carey is the most obvious example of an attacking player having the best form of his career under the current manager. How would you explain that? Another fluke?

Jake Jervis is another clear example of a forward thriving under Adams. Jamille Matt also hit a sweet spot in his career.

Ladapo looks a hell of a lot better than we thought he’d be, based on his previous spell in this league. It shouldn’t be an outrageous suggestion that Adams is able to get the best out of previously unheralded attackers.

Clearly for you, it is.

Aug 5, 2016
Ladapo's class. You can see in finishing training he's got it, missing chances in games is a confidence issue. Blissett is an example of someone who never had it in practice so you couldn't expect it during matches.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
And even Blissett ‘did a job’ in that League 2 run-in. I wouldn’t say that was a bad signing, really.

At worst, a punt on a rough diamond that didn’t pay off.

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":1n8d9khg said:
He’s never had a chance to settle though. 4 in 10 starts for Shrewsbury in this league isn’t bad though. It’s clear he’s a ‘wee nugget’. He ripped up non league and became a sought after hit man - earning a 3 year premier league contract. He’s still young and finally able to settle. Playing for a shrewd manager who knows how to bring the best out of attacking talent.

We’re really lucky to have him.

That would explain why we score so few goals then I guess !

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Biggs":2zuyhsfk said:
Mark Pedlar":2zuyhsfk said:
Justin":2zuyhsfk said:
..... Playing for a shrewd manager who knows how to bring the best out of attacking talent.

You’re just descending further into Balham territory, Mark. Any suggestion that Derek Adams is a good manager gets ridiculed?

Graham Carey is the most obvious example of an attacking player having the best form of his career under the current manager. How would you explain that? Another fluke?

Jake Jervis is another clear example of a forward thriving under Adams. Jamille Matt also hit a sweet spot in his career.

Ladapo looks a hell of a lot better than we thought he’d be, based on his previous spell in this league. It shouldn’t be an outrageous suggestion that Adams is able to get the best out of previously unheralded attackers.

Clearly for you, it is.

Ciftci
Goodwillie
Garita
I'd put Jervis in there - he wasn't great really was he?
and if you're including Carey as an attacker:
Ainsworth
Wylde
Donaldson

and that's just the ones off the top of my head.

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":ydl5fuqc said:
Biggs":ydl5fuqc said:
Mark Pedlar":ydl5fuqc said:
Justin":ydl5fuqc said:

Clearly for you, it is.

Ciftci
Goodwillie
Garita
I'd put Jervis in there - he wasn't great really was he?
and if you're including Carey as an attacker:
Ainsworth
Wylde
Donaldson

and that's just the ones off the top of my head.

Blissett. Paid money for him too!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Jake Jervis didn’t have a single double-figure goal season at the 10 clubs he’d been at before Argyle. With us, he hit 27 goals in two full seasons from often wide right positions while being a key figure of a promotion team. If that’s not getting the most out of an attacker, I don’t know what is. Dismissing that as ‘wasn’t great really’ seems unbelievably uncharitable. And I don’t know how Garita could have been much better utilised than he was.

The argument isn’t that Derek Adams gets the best out of every attacker we sign (no manager does), it’s that he is entirely capable of it. I’d make the argument that he works best with unheralded players like Ladapo and Jervis, and NOT the higher profile forwards like Goodwillie and Ciftci.

Even if you disagree with all that, it’s not such an outrageous point that it should be ridiculed. Though that does seem to be the level of debate from some posters here at the moment.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Biggs, read that back to yourself, It is ridiculous - Adams is capable of developing players but doesn't bother when the players are "heralded". Is that what makes him such a good manager? He is a defensive manager who is over cautious. He defends a one goal lead rather than go for the jugular, he goes for the draw until the last possible moment and gambles on grabbing a win, he defends the penalty area with 11 players, his first thought with players is their ability to defend.

Amongst the wildest claims ever made on this website is that Adams is a manager with an attacking philosphy who gets the best out of attacking players.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Sorry Mark, I simply don’t understand the argument you’re making. And you’re resorting to straw men with the attacking philosophy bit, because I didn’t say that. He’s undoubtedly a pragmatic manager, but he finds room for attacking players like Carey to thrive within that system.

He HAS got the best out of Carey and Jake Jervis. Those two were (and are in the case of Carey) utterly crucial to our recent history and our promotion from League 2. Because some signings haven’t come off, doesn’t disprove an ability to get the best out of crucial attacking players. Which is what you ridiculed Justin for.

And the observation that he works better with unheralded players - like Ladapo, which is the point of this thread - than high profile ones, surely isn’t a controversial one.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
To add my view... I agree totally with Biggs on this one.

Adams has to my mind brought the best form of their careers out of Carey and Jervis.

Mar 23, 2008
Indeed, shouldn't the thread be changed to 'has anyone noticed the new Lee Power'? I know he scored the winner last week but his watefulness has cost us more points than his 2 league goals have gained us.

May 22, 2006
The only comparison you can make with Paul Mariner is that one of them hit the ground running and the other hits the back of the stand with his shots.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Not checked stats but memory tells me Mariner scored something like 7 goals in first 10 appearances. Finished first season with around 16 or 17 goals I think.