Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Freddie is not good enough to lace Mariners Boots let alone play like him.Southend released him for a reason....

Apr 5, 2008
justanotherfan":1emui5fp said:
Similar start to Reuben before he went on to be a double 20 goals a season striker, give him a chance, he`s ours.

Haven’t got time to give him a chance ,we have already played 12 games and have only a pathetic 7 points to show for it,though it might have been a few more if he could actually hit the target from a few yards out.

If he doesn’t perform quickly then get rid of him ,or we will be sinking out of the league.

Jul 6, 2011
Mariner played in a 2 up front with Rafferty, completely different type of situation. Mariner was a world class player and it's hard comparing him to Freddie formerly of the non-league and several loan clubs.
I accept that he has ability and mostly creates his own opportunities like mariner did, but I think that's where the simularity ends. Even from the age of 20 seasoned professionals couldnt keep mariner out. I remember the game against Preston, that team was filled with ex-Man Utd European cup winners and they couldn't stop him.

Mar 16, 2009
London
moles40":exuondlj said:
justanotherfan":exuondlj said:
Similar start to Reuben before he went on to be a double 20 goals a season striker, give him a chance, he`s ours.

Haven’t got time to give him a chance ,we have already played 12 games and have only a pathetic 7 points to show for it,though it might have been a few more if he could actually hit the target from a few yards out.

If he doesn’t perform quickly then get rid of him ,or we will be sinking out of the league.

He’ll get close to 20 goals this season. But we’ll need to share the goals around to stand a chance of the play offs.

May 1, 2011
Far too earlier to make fanciful claims like this. Paul Mariner is the greatest striker in our history. I liked Marino Keith a lot but you couldn't put him in the same bracket as Paul Mariner.

Let's be a bit more level headed.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
oddball":3vsi66oa said:
Freddie is not good enough to lace Mariners Boots let alone play like him.Southend released him for a reason....
I’ve always found it intriguing how Paul Mariner was discovered by PAFC when he was born ‘up north’ (Bolton) and he slipped through the net of all the top league clubs.
Why was his talent not spotted in his years playing football as a teenager?
Maybe, the answer is well documented. If so, perhaps someone could enlighten me?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
tony waiters employed a northern scout who i think was called vernon goodwin and he had a vast knowledge of the northern football scene.he recommended mariner to argyle and waiters snapped him up.before mariner signed a binding contract to us waiters used to regularly sub him off in friendlies to keep him under the radar.paul mariner thought that waiters didn't rate hin but really he was keeping him out of the public eye.he was signed from chorley and at the moment freddie is nowhere near half as good as mariner was.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Thanks, Steve.

Even so, he must have been playing schoolboy football up north before Waiters ‘found him and hid him’.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
moles40":1nr6fl5m said:
justanotherfan":1nr6fl5m said:

If we ship out everyone who isn`t performing then it`s going to be a small squad.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
IJN":22et44u2 said:
i was wrong about Barnes, and I loved to be proved premature about Freddie.

I was wrong about Barnes too, but remember he was so much younger, like Mariner, when he first played for Argyle.
I remember Barnes in his first game missing a glorious error into the Barn Park End goal, and I thought he would never make it. How wrong, I was. Freddie has received good coaching already, and I do wonder, about him.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Nope not from where I'm sitting.

A lot of people around me said something about bringing Rory Fallon back though. I presume they were joking

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":3o0wuev1 said:
Mark Pedlar":3o0wuev1 said:
IJN":3o0wuev1 said:
I can't see any comparison at all. He's more like a better Garita.

Except Garita would have scored 4 of the chances that Ladapo's had in the last 8 days. Mind you he probably wouldn't have created them.

Finishing is largely about confidence. If Freddie’s exquisite backflick that agonisingly hit the inside of the post a few games ago had gone in, he’d have scored a hatful by now. Still very early on in the season - I reckon he could get close to 20 goals before it’s over.

So he's not mentally strong? Serious flaw.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":29ruwiis said:
Justin":29ruwiis said:
Mark Pedlar":29ruwiis said:
IJN":29ruwiis said:
I can't see any comparison at all. He's more like a better Garita.

Except Garita would have scored 4 of the chances that Ladapo's had in the last 8 days. Mind you he probably wouldn't have created them.

Finishing is largely about confidence. If Freddie’s exquisite backflick that agonisingly hit the inside of the post a few games ago had gone in, he’d have scored a hatful by now. Still very early on in the season - I reckon he could get close to 20 goals before it’s over.

So he's not mentally strong? Serious flaw.

You could say the same about any striker. Ever.