Home Park Redevelopment | Page 59 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Redevelopment

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Manchester Green":ecu1xunr said:
Lundan Cabbie":ecu1xunr said:
Manchester Green":ecu1xunr said:
Think we're all aware that the Ice Rink is a necessity, Lundan Cabbie. What I don't get is why does it have to be built in such a way that limits the size of the grandstand so much? And why should it take priority? Surely there is a way of cramming in ice rink, hotel, Nandos, and still having room for a decent-sized stand?

If, when the land deal went ahead, the caveat was added "other developments will take priority over the design of the stand" I doubt the fans would have been so supportive. I think we all assumed we would get what we want, whilst Brent also got what he wants. Both parties ending up winners, all of us being aware that JB was no philanthropist but at the same time thinking it was a mutually beneficial relationship. This isn't how it has turned out, which makes some of the sycophancy towards JB on here so confusing. With these designs he has broken his implied word - both parties aren't getting what they wanted from the deal, as we aren't getting an adequate grandstand at the moment.

Adequate for what?

Adequate for when we return to the Championship. I'm not deluded, it might take years, but it will happen, as hopping between div2 and div3 is our historic level. The new capacity would've been insufficient for our 2004-2005 season in the championship, and as another poster pointed out would have cost us several hundred thousand in lost revenue that season. Hell, even when this club was last competing at the top of the third division in 03-04 it would have been insufficient for several matches. I don't ascribe to this "sleeping giant" bullpoo, but clearly this is a club capable of getting into the 20k figures with a bit of prolonged success. It has before and can again. Surely you can see that?

Its hardly delusional - it is the natural level of this football club. The biggest city never to have had top flight football!

How many decades will this stand last? It will almost certainly see 2nd tier football, so any design that isnt preparing for the CCC is short sighted, IMO

Jul 29, 2010
(embedded quotes removed)

ejh":2s9oc60s said:
Its hardly delusional - it is the natural level of this football club. The biggest city never to have had top flight football!

How many decades will this stand last? It will almost certainly see 2nd tier football, so any design that isnt preparing for the CCC is short sighted, IMO

Technically that's now Brighton and Hove of course but it'd doesn't diminish the point completely.

I'd like to hear more from todays meeting but John Lloyd mentioned an eventual achievable capacity of 23,500.

G

Greenskin

X Isle":19f6d9ne said:

ejh":19f6d9ne said:

Technically that's now Brighton and Hove of course but it'd doesn't diminish the point completely.

I'd like to hear more from todays meeting but John Lloyd mentioned an eventual achievable capacity of 23,500.

Brighton and Hove Albion have been in the top flight.

Oct 24, 2010
The meeting today confirmed that the scheme as it stands is barely viable enough to provide the budget for the stand as designed and the only realistic way for the stand to be enlarged is for the Ice Rink to be built on Cottage Field. This would both free up space and provide additional development to fund the increased capacity. The PAFC board are not inclined to do this they consider the grassed areas of Central Park to be sacrosanct irrespective of the fact Cottage Field is zoned for development within the Central Park Action Plan and they also envisage political opposition from Friends of Central Park among others. This is what it simply boils down to. If we want the increased capacity we fans have to chose whether we want developmental in Cottage Field and if so seek to persuade James Brent and his board to overcome their reservations and amend the scheme.
The other significant piece of information was the projected income expected to be generated by the new stand. JB put this figure, based upon an independent consultant's report, to be £1m pa, one third from sponsorship etc, one third from revenue from the hospitality facilities and one third from increased attendance, attracted by the new stand. With these figures in mind I suggest anybody with thoughts of "blocking" the scheme abandon them.
Mark Jones, the architect for the scheme did a presentation which included details of how the Horseshoe could be expanded reasonably easily to provide an extra 2,500 seats at an estimated cost of £2.5m which JB explained would be viable, with the cost being recovered within 2/3 years if there was demand for the extra capacity. Mark also describe another possibility which would give an extra tier to the Lyndhurst giving an extra 4,500 seats but at a cost of £9m which unless we get to the Premier League would not be viable.
The proposed capacity as it stands, subject to final tweaking, is 17,700.

Jul 29, 2010
Greenskin":ir8nng4w said:
X Isle":ir8nng4w said:

ejh":ir8nng4w said:

Brighton and Hove Albion have been in the top flight.

I know, they were towns then though, hence 'technically' ;)

Nov 8, 2010
£2.5 million for the extra seating sounds fairly viable Esmer, but also surprisingly cheap so I hope that figure is accurate. If that figure is accurate it has allayed some of my concerns.

My question would be whether there is any way of raising the funds for the £2.5 million now and get the whole thing done proper job, rather than waiting another decade for "phase 3"?

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
esmer":2ylleq31 said:
The other significant piece of information was the projected income expected to be generated by the new stand. JB put this figure, based upon an independent consultant's report, to be £1m pa, one third from sponsorship etc, one third from revenue from the hospitality facilities and one third from increased attendance, attracted by the new stand. With these figures in mind I suggest anybody with thoughts of "blocking" the scheme abandon them.
Does anyone else find this worrying/strange?

No revenue from retail units, bars, restaurants, anything new???

Sponsorship?
hospitality?
"one third from increased attendance, attracted by the new stand"!!!! WTF! Are we stupid!

Sorry but this still looks a stitch up to me, :wtf:

Jul 29, 2010
Greenblooded1":2s9k6leb said:
esmer":2s9k6leb said:
Does anyone else find this worrying/strange?

No revenue from retail units, bars, restaurants, anything new???

Sponsorship?
hospitality?
"one third from increased attendance, attracted by the new stand"!!!! WTF! Are we stupid!

Sorry but this still looks a stitch up to me, :wtf:

Bars and restaurants in the stand, yes, surely?

I think the 'no revenue from retail' answer John Lloyd mentioned earlier was specifically for the externally accessed retail units, of which we will have only the club shop. Can't see function room, bar, banqueting, conferencing and kiosk revenue going anywhere else but the club.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Sorry for shamelessly copying and pasting from another thread I posted on but;

Image 12 of 63 on the 3rd set (from the New Stand Consultation photos) has re-assured me to a certain extent.
It shows how the horseshoe could be extended to incorporate 4,500 additional seats. It looks like it would entail a continuous 'shelf' running around and above the existing stands. Would look odd but at least it would provide the capacity that a lot of commenters seem to think we need right now if ever we should rise up the leagues.

Jul 29, 2010
I don't really know where this 'can't be extended' assertion came from in these last two weeks anyway. It was common knowledge in 2001 and it was in the plans released for the HHP development.

23,500 (the honourable Mr. Lloyd's figure given earlier from the meeting) is a more than suitable potential capacity.

M

Monkey Nuts

up_the_line":36og2k1j said:

Image 12 of 63 on the 3rd set (from the New Stand Consultation photos) has re-assured me to a certain extent.
It shows how the horseshoe could be extended to incorporate 4,500 additional seats. It looks like it would entail a continuous 'shelf' running around and above the existing stands. Would look odd but at least it would provide the capacity that a lot of commenters seem to think we need right now if ever we should rise up the leagues.
Whereabouts are these photos?

May 22, 2006
Monkey Nuts":3o1b0stb said:
up_the_line":3o1b0stb said:

Whereabouts are these photos?

Greens On Screen. I think he means this one.