Home Park Redevelopment | Page 90 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Redevelopment

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Gerald Wylie":3grytped said:
I find it astonishing how naive some posters are. Brent has been one step ahead of us all the time. It's obvious he wants to build on Cottage Field. But he's scared of being accused of going too far,too fast. What better way than to claim that it's against his wishes but he has no choice if the club want the Grandstand they deserve. We need to wise up to the ways of big business.

I sincerely hope so.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Gerald Wylie":271i4lgr said:
I find it astonishing how naive some posters are. Brent has been one step ahead of us all the time. It's obvious he wants to build on Cottage Field. But he's scared of being accused of going too far,too fast. What better way than to claim that it's against his wishes but he has no choice if the club want the Grandstand they deserve. We need to wise up to the ways of big business.

:lol:

Let's hope no 'grassy knolls' are damaged then! :facepalm:

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Walking around Central Park today, I must have bumped into all of a dozen people walking theirs dogs.

If you take pounds park out of the equation the park is no more than a few fields that are infrequently used other than dog walkers, the football pitches are a disgrace,particularly cottage field that has got to be one of the worst football fields in Plymouth the pitches are hardly ever in use.

What is needed is a complete revamp of the park and if cottage field is built on to make better use of the park, where is then problem.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
dunlop":38z8gkf4 said:
Walking around Central Park today, I must have bumped into all of a dozen people walking theirs dogs.

If you take pounds park out of the equation the park is no more than a few fields that are infrequently used other than dog walkers, the football pitches are a disgrace,particularly cottage field that has got to be one of the worst football fields in Plymouth the pitches are hardly ever in use.

What is needed is a complete revamp of the park and if cottage field is built on to make better use of the park, where is then problem.

Agreed - it might be the big green lung of Plymouth but it also the biggest dogs toilet.

Jul 29, 2010
Careful Hugh, sensible and realistic talk like that will get you put you on 'the list' :wink:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Greenrod":2tl39iqk said:
dunlop":2tl39iqk said:

Agreed - it might be the big green lung of Plymouth but it also the biggest dogs toilet.

I have said this oft before on this site. Central Park is not a 'park' in the true sense intended (presumably) by those who wished it to be used by the (ordinary) people of Plymouth.
Parks in London are (generally) excellent, true 'lungs' and truly places for you to 'escape' in the evening or weekends. Maybe the odd football/cricket pitch but they do not dominate and people in the park can watch a game as they stroll buy. There are often lakes, streams, woods, even aviaries/menageries and pets corners. I would love to see the park rethought as part of as total plan, not piecemeal and bitty. not pressure groups trying to retain the historical vacuum of the place. let's have a stadium, other amenities in a 'real' park setting! :thumbs:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
graiser":1474nseu said:
GreenishHugh":1474nseu said:
Just to put my two-penneth in, I attended the PASB meeting before the Exeter game where JB and a colleague gave a presentation outlining the plans for development, as well as potential expansion options for the already existing horseshoe stands. All in all it seemed like an extremely sensible proposal. JB made it quite clear that one of his key aims through this development is to give Argyle non-match-day income - something that we sorely need and have needed for a long time.

I understand some people's objections that a ground with an initial capacity of only 17,500 seems to be "killing the dream", but I think we all need to take a reality check here. 2 years ago or so we very, very nearly went out of existence. We are still losing money every week that goes by. We are not yet in a financially sustainable position. To build several thousand extra seats that we cannot sell at the moment on a regular basis (with perhaps the odd exception of a high profile cup tie, or massive home derby at Xmas/Easter time) is just foolhardy. The proposal as it is outlined currently would put us on an even keel and give us the ability to move up the leagues and establish ourselves in the Championship. I think questions about what we would do if/when we reach the Premiership can be addressed when we get there!

Those who think JB's only interests are in how much money he can make for Akkeron etc. clearly don't understand the man. I honestly think we need to be so grateful that we have someone of his calibre and integrity in charge of our club at this time. Just look at the Venkys at Blackburn or Vincent Tan at Cardiff! We should all appreciate how lucky we are.

Hugh do you have a hard hat, cos your going to need one, repeat after me, " I must not talk common sense "

The jist of his post is correct, but his two main points are misguided. We HAVEN'T seen realistic expansion plans for the horseshoe and we HAVEN'T seen evidence of a dramatically increased non-matchday revenue. Those two utterly crucial concerns have been raised again and again and again, and met with complete silence or ignored by X-Isle, Postey et al. A trend that will continue, I fear, which makes me wonder why I've bothered writing this at all...

Jun 14, 2004
Saltash
Pogleswoody":1vm838oi said:
Greenrod":1vm838oi said:
dunlop":1vm838oi said:

If you go to other Towns/Cities there parks do indeed offer rivers,streams and alot more than a dogs toilet.Central Park should be the Jewel in Plymouths crown but like our naval history,Plymouth Dome,general many assets we have made little use.
I want a stadium which suits Argyle and maybe expansion needs but a Central Park to be proud of and as most of Plymouths buildings dont fit and are a disgrace ... :furious:
I have said this oft before on this site. Central Park is not a 'park' in the true sense intended (presumably) by those who wished it to be used by the (ordinary) people of Plymouth.
Parks in London are (generally) excellent, true 'lungs' and truly places for you to 'escape' in the evening or weekends. Maybe the odd football/cricket pitch but they do not dominate and people in the park can watch a game as they stroll buy. There are often lakes, streams, woods, even aviaries/menageries and pets corners. I would love to see the park rethought as part of as total plan, not piecemeal and bitty. not pressure groups trying to retain the historical vacuum of the place. let's have a stadium, other amenities in a 'real' park setting! :thumbs:

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
The more time that passes the more I realise the plans at present are not suitable for Plymouth Argyle. Something stinks about the whole set up and if it goes ahead then it'll only be a matter of time before it comes to light. The problem is it'll be too late then.

B

bandwagon

Biggs":2buolp26 said:
graiser":2buolp26 said:
GreenishHugh":2buolp26 said:
Just to put my two-penneth in, I attended the PASB meeting before the Exeter game where JB and a colleague gave a presentation outlining the plans for development, as well as potential expansion options for the already existing horseshoe stands. All in all it seemed like an extremely sensible proposal. JB made it quite clear that one of his key aims through this development is to give Argyle non-match-day income - something that we sorely need and have needed for a long time.

I understand some people's objections that a ground with an initial capacity of only 17,500 seems to be "killing the dream", but I think we all need to take a reality check here. 2 years ago or so we very, very nearly went out of existence. We are still losing money every week that goes by. We are not yet in a financially sustainable position. To build several thousand extra seats that we cannot sell at the moment on a regular basis (with perhaps the odd exception of a high profile cup tie, or massive home derby at Xmas/Easter time) is just foolhardy. The proposal as it is outlined currently would put us on an even keel and give us the ability to move up the leagues and establish ourselves in the Championship. I think questions about what we would do if/when we reach the Premiership can be addressed when we get there!

Those who think JB's only interests are in how much money he can make for Akkeron etc. clearly don't understand the man. I honestly think we need to be so grateful that we have someone of his calibre and integrity in charge of our club at this time. Just look at the Venkys at Blackburn or Vincent Tan at Cardiff! We should all appreciate how lucky we are.

Hugh do you have a hard hat, cos your going to need one, repeat after me, " I must not talk common sense "

The jist of his post is correct, but his two main points are misguided. We HAVEN'T seen realistic expansion plans for the horseshoe and we HAVEN'T seen evidence of a dramatically increased non-matchday revenue. Those two utterly crucial concerns have been raised again and again and again, and met with complete silence or ignored by X-Isle, Postey et al. A trend that will continue, I fear, which makes me wonder why I've bothered writing this at all...

You write it because you believe you are right - don't stop, it's better to ask now before it's too late!! There are many that don't go along with this cobbled together affair, possibly the worst as a fan of the club we could have ever been presented with - the timescale is worrying me now and I'd be ready with a coin to flip to see if any of it ever gets off the ground!! Oh well, I've enjoyed the football lately and strange how all this off field stuff is put aside on matchdays, so that's good!! Will I need a tin hat for this? - don't want to be called a Helmet!! :lol: :scarf: :facepalm:

Dec 29, 2010
IJN said:
Gerald Wylie said:

:lol:

Let's hope no 'grassy knolls' are damaged then! :facepalm:

And let's hope you're not the patsy! :whistle:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
bandwagon":32m7f5oj said:
Biggs":32m7f5oj said:
graiser":32m7f5oj said:
GreenishHugh":32m7f5oj said:

You write it because you believe you are right - don't stop, it's better to ask now before it's too late!! There are many that don't go along with this cobbled together affair, possibly the worst as a fan of the club we could have ever been presented with - the timescale is worrying me now and I'd be ready with a coin to flip to see if any of it ever gets off the ground!! Oh well, I've enjoyed the football lately and strange how all this off field stuff is put aside on matchdays, so that's good!! Will I need a tin hat for this? - don't want to be called a Helmet!! :lol: :scarf: :facepalm:

I certainly won't stop highlighting issues with the current plans, but there's little point in trying to engage PL2 3DQ any more. I find his unquestioning stance and veiled criticism of the working group deeply troubling, especially when he's been such a vital 'digger' during administration and in his role on Vital.

Maybe that sounds personal, but all I want is some clarification on the expansion and income issues, and he constantly fails to give any answers. Postey, what do you know that we don't? Reassure us. Again, he's not going to answer, so I don't know why I'm bothering

B

bandwagon

I'm sure he's thinking about it - he has to be careful what he says perhaps?

Dec 3, 2005
If you know the difference between a SHIP and a BOAT.

You should know the difference between a GRANDSTAND and our proposed stand. :)

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Where is the television gantry going in the new stadium, this in a modern stadiums is an important bespoke area built into one side of the ground.