How long this season? Lockdown #3 Merged | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

How long this season? Lockdown #3 Merged

Dec 30, 2020
Balham_Green":tbl2p205 said:
Steve Evans":tbl2p205 said:
i think below the premier will cease before the next round of league matches in two weeks time.feel so sorry for the halletts. :sad:

Why do you think that? Professional sport is to continue.
:facepalm: the cost balham!you think about it!!!!!!!!

So tell us what costs?
salaries,travel,hotels,covid tests all coupled with no gate receipts.think about it.

So how has lockdown changed that? You need to think about it perhaps.

Yes, financial pressures explain why there *won't* be a break for football. Income from TV money, sponsorship etc is presumably contingent on the games being played, whereas costs on players wages will mainly apply regardless. I also think Boris Johnson et al will be very keen for televised sport to continue. As others have mentioned, it helps with mental wellbeing and, more cynically, the more bored and frustrated the public are, the more likely they are to get angry with the Government.

That said, if there are fixture pile ups and uneven outbreaks at different clubs, it will greatly distort the competition. In addition, it's very likely that things are going to get worse over the next couple of weeks before they get better. Playing football as hospitalisations and deaths mount up will look increasingly unsavoury. So I don't think it's impossible that there will be a break at some point.