#incoming (Cooper signs - 3 year deal) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#incoming (Cooper signs - 3 year deal)

Jul 27, 2020
just felt so moved with this brilliant news to say welcome George brilliant

George said he always wanted to come back well we definitely wanted you too and you bring an increasing edge to the new season and some continuity from last season as well

fantastic and a great asset for the squad

as others have said well done to the board and RL and a great commitment and belief in the signing with the contract

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Deacster":2jt2fw4g said:
With Hardie and Coops being re-signed in the current climate, that shows real intent. Also shows the pulling power of Lowe, we are in a good place as a club at present.

I agree, great work by Ryan Lowe backed by the Board. GC came over well in the short interview. I think his occasional defensive failings can readily be coached out of him

Aug 5, 2016
Stiffler":2e97g6ks said:
I would hazard a guess that peterborough had a say in the contract length, have him cheap with a long contract and big sell on clause or pay Peterborough prices and have him no ties.

I'd have thought Argyle would have been the party that insisted on the 3 year deal. It is protection for the investment.

Not many clubs pay money for a player then give him a short term deal.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think only recently the transfer fees we have paid were for Nathan Blissett and Ryan Edwards so to pay a transfer fee now with very limited matchday income is an incredible statement from the club, so us fans can do our little bit by buying something from the club shop, or subscribe to the match day programme, join the Big Green Lottery and if you're not a season ticket holder subscribe to iFollow.

Jan 27, 2012
It would be great if Agyle also re-signed the 'other' GC to play in this footballing side.
I don't see that happening though.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
May hear further details tomorrow.

Assuming RL will be holding a media briefing ahead of QPR game.

Perhaps a question can be asked on the apparent disappearance of young Cleal too?

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":c9prt65k said:
I think only recently the transfer fees we have paid were for Nathan Blissett and Ryan Edwards so to pay a transfer fee now with very limited matchday income is an incredible statement from the club, so us fans can do our little bit by buying something from the club shop, or subscribe to the match day programme, join the Big Green Lottery and if you're not a season ticket holder subscribe to iFollow.

I agree. Mr and and Mrs Hallett have done their bit, its time for us to back the Club, even if it's spending a fiver in the Club shop. I'll pay to watch the games on iFollow to put a few quid in the coffers.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Too much nonsense on here about Cooper’s supposed defensive shortcomings. Until last season, I doubt he had ever played as a left back.

We could sign Messi and some fans would moan about his defending and unwillingness to track back.

Lowe obviously wanted Cooper in the team because of what he offered offensively and McFadzean’s injury provided the opening for him to play, albeit somewhat out of position. Without his 12 assists and 3 goals, we wouldn’t have made the top 3. On the other hand, I cannot remember too many goals, if any, that were directly attributable to his poor defending, unlike 1 or 2 or our “proper” defenders; that is an observation, not a criticism.

He would never have got in an Adams team set up to not lose and hopefully, nick a 1-0 win via a Carey set piece. However, Lowe is more like Holloway in that he is prepared to concede 2 or 3 providing we score 3 or 4, so someone like Cooper is an important player because of what he brings as an attacking threat.

The only time I think Cooper was exposed defensively was in the Colchester away game. They had obviously done their homework as they pushed their little fast guy up the line and as well as being quite a handful on the day even for an experienced left back, it also stopped Cooper getting forward and with Mayor having a quiet game, Hardy and Jephcott up front were starved of any quality service.

Feb 8, 2005
Ponty":3podgcww said:
PL2 3DQ":3podgcww said:

I agree. Mr and and Mrs Hallett have done their bit, its time for us to back the Club, even if it's spending a fiver in the Club shop. I'll pay to watch the games on iFollow to put a few quid in the coffers.

That's very magnanamous of you Ponty! :lol:

Aug 27, 2019
Exciting times ahead.....

To put this into perspective, didn't I read on a similar thread that for the sort of money we have paid for GC here, we could have had Messi for 9 minutes! What a 9 minutes that could have been......

Welcome back George - Championship here we come! In RL we trust.....

Jul 12, 2016
Knibbsworth":d64mvl96 said:
Stiffler":d64mvl96 said:
I would hazard a guess that peterborough had a say in the contract length, have him cheap with a long contract and big sell on clause or pay Peterborough prices and have him no ties.

I'd have thought Argyle would have been the party that insisted on the 3 year deal. It is protection for the investment.

Not many clubs pay money for a player then give him a short term deal.
Perhaps it was Cooper who asked for a longer deal to make it worth him signing for us?

May 8, 2011
Interesting that Cooper has been given a 3 year contract rather than a shorter one with the option to extend especially with Macleod only having a one year contract.
Obviously the Club has also taken the salary cap into consideration when offering the contract, perhaps that was part of the deal, lower pay but longer job security?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
HC Green":ne24gwi9 said:
Interesting that Cooper has been given a 3 year contract rather than a shorter one with the option to extend especially with Macleod only having a one year contract.
Obviously the Club has also taken the salary cap into consideration when offering the contract, perhaps that was part of the deal, lower pay but longer job security?

That’s what I was thinking too. It makes sense from all angles.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
demportdave":1zo20efy said:
Too much nonsense on here about Cooper’s supposed defensive shortcomings. Until last season, I doubt he had ever played as a left back.

We could sign Messi and some fans would moan about his defending and unwillingness to track back.

Lowe obviously wanted Cooper in the team because of what he offered offensively and McFadzean’s injury provided the opening for him to play, albeit somewhat out of position. Without his 12 assists and 3 goals, we wouldn’t have made the top 3. On the other hand, I cannot remember too many goals, if any, that were directly attributable to his poor defending, unlike 1 or 2 or our “proper” defenders; that is an observation, not a criticism.

He would never have got in an Adams team set up to not lose and hopefully, nick a 1-0 win via a Carey set piece. However, Lowe is more like Holloway in that he is prepared to concede 2 or 3 providing we score 3 or 4, so someone like Cooper is an important player because of what he brings as an attacking threat.

The only time I think Cooper was exposed defensively was in the Colchester away game. They had obviously done their homework as they pushed their little fast guy up the line and as well as being quite a handful on the day even for an experienced left back, it also stopped Cooper getting forward and with Mayor having a quiet game, Hardy and Jephcott up front were starved of any quality service.
Spot on. This isn't a John Sheridan back 5 or even a Derek Adams back 5. Lowe's system requires the wing backs to stay high up in possession in have plenty of attacking intent - hence why it didn't work when Joe Riley played there last season.

Obviously they still have to have some defensive ability in terms of tracking an opposition wide man and keeping position, so if Cooper really struggled with this in League 1 (I don't think he will, but if he does) perhaps we could shift Mayor over to the right side of CM and bring in someone with plenty of legs and a bit more defensive aptitude to play LCM and offer some cover for Cooper. Camara (admittedly only on a 45 minute showing) looked like he could be that player based on the FGR game.

Jul 14, 2008
I think having Watts at LCB to help cover G Cooper is an important part of the masterplan. We were exposed badly down that side at times last season, partly due to Sawyer’s lack of pace as much as Cooper’s defensive positioning.