Intinery for Day of Action at Home Park | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Intinery for Day of Action at Home Park

Nov 3, 2006
We're a multi-million pound business that pays individuals thousands a week. Why are we relying on unpaid labour?

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Paul H":2s52savd said:
Willis88":2s52savd said:
Paul H":2s52savd said:
We're a multi-million pound business that pays individuals thousands a week. Why are we relying on unpaid labour?

:facepalm:

Please explain.

For a start it's not free labour, the club supplied food and a free ticket to those who attended.

Secondly, a club is more than just the business, fans act and feel like owners, they like to contribute. You might argue that's the club exploiting the fans, the rest of us would suggest that's the club opening up to those who are interested and willing to give up their free time to make the environment of all who attend more comfortable and cleaner.

Yes, the club could pay a professional outfit, but then the next thing people would be crying out for would be more players and the thousands spent on these professionals would be "wasted" and "unnessary".

The club is engaging with the fans, opening the doors, communicating better and all of this should be promoted, to remove the negativity and making everyone feel welcome, valued and engaged.

I wasn't able to attend due to family commitments, however if I was available I would have gone, because I'm a mug but because I would have wanted to contribute to the community.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Willis88":267v7411 said:
Paul H":267v7411 said:

Having read the other responses to this initiative, Willis88 was probably thinking “There’s always one”.

Edit: Just read his very clear and commendable response.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Here is some photos taken on the day of cleaning Bobby's garden,https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2019/july/day-of-action-july-7-2019/ there are no captions, but i'm sure on some other photos there was mention that now it was cleaned up there was going to be professional company come in and spray everything to kill the weeds.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Ottawa Green":3h9esqb3 said:
Here is some photos taken on the day of cleaning Bobby's garden,https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2019/july/day-of-action-july-7-2019/ there are no captions, but i'm sure on some other photos there was mention that now it was cleaned up there was going to be professional company come in and spray everything to kill the weeds.

As one of the volunteers who helped to ‘clear’ Bobby’s Garden on the Day of Action I thought it helpful to make a few points.

Firstly, contrary to expectation the area is not covered in concrete or soil. It is actually exposed rock following the original excavation back in 2001. As such it is a natural habitat for the sort of growth that has become apparent over the years. It is uneven and indeed precipitous. The clearance resulted in several skips being filled. Trevor who was supervised did confirm that it would be professional spayed by qualified operatives in an attempt to suppress the future growth.

The other issue not apparent from outside the area is the proliferation of cables linking the Grandstand with the Devonport End. As a result lifting and securing these cables whilst concreting the area is not an obvious viable option.

The suggestion of fixing and suspending a robust decorative cover such as that at Selhurst Park would appear to be the most obvious and visually attractive option

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Thankyou for that comprehensive explanation. Hopefully the powers that be could take the decorative cover suggestion forward - something along the lines of the one over the temporary players tunnel in the Demport last season maybe? :think:

Nov 3, 2006
davie nine":1j5mazx8 said:
Willis88":1j5mazx8 said:
Paul H":1j5mazx8 said:

Having read the other responses to this initiative, Willis88 was probably thinking “There’s always one”.

Edit: Just read his very clear and commendable response.

Was simply trying to get an explanation from him that addresses my point. Boards such as this don't work to well when responses come in the form of emojis only. It doesn't further debate, comes across as dismissive/rude and is, in-short, lazy.

Nov 3, 2006
Willis88":1c9ftkvv said:
Paul H":1c9ftkvv said:
Willis88":1c9ftkvv said:
Paul H":1c9ftkvv said:

Please explain.

For a start it's not free labour, the club supplied food and a free ticket to those who attended.

People want to give up their time, I get that. However, bacon sanwiches (GTs?) and tickets to a friendly will cost less than the use of a professional company that could have carried out the same tasks to,more likely, higher standards.

Secondly, a club is more than just the business, fans act and feel like owners, they like to contribute. You might argue that's the club exploiting the fans, the rest of us would suggest that's the club opening up to those who are interested and willing to give up their free time to make the environment of all who attend more comfortable and cleaner.

No body mentioned the word 'exploitation' but I'm curious where your confidence comes from to use the term 'rest of us?' A club quite clearly is, first and foremost, a business. I would've hoped that administration a few years ago would've proved that. Making the environment comfortable and cleaner is indeed the right thing to do as was needed. However, that's surely part and parcel of any business that wants to attract new customers.

Yes, the club could pay a professional outfit, but then the next thing people would be crying out for would be more players and the thousands spent on these professionals would be "wasted" and "unnessary".

I don't see how you come to this conclusion. Are you saying that the Club should regularly ask fans to carry out other tasks around the ground just to avoid criticism?

The club is engaging with the fans, opening the doors, communicating better and all of this should be promoted, to remove the negativity and making everyone feel welcome, valued and engaged.

Things are being run well from what I can observe and I'm grateful for it. I'm just not sure how getting fans in to carry out tasks that professionals can do better increases feelings of value and engagement.

I wasn't able to attend due to family commitments, however if I was available I would have gone, because I'm a mug but because I would have wanted to contribute to the community.

Genuinely not here to berate those that took part but more to question the Club's initial intent.

Thanks

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Paul H":ydxrencv said:
Willis88":ydxrencv said:
Willis88":ydxrencv said:

Please explain.
People want to give up their time, I get that. However, bacon sanwiches (GTs?) and tickets to a friendly will cost less than the use of a professional company that could have carried out the same tasks to,more likely, higher standards.

Then you've got an opportunity cost, rough maths the club has lost out on purely ticket revenue for the Rovers game, so 75 x £10, £750. That's assuming all 75 people were going to attend the game and pay full adult rates. As you point out the food was covered by the sponsors.

I've got now knowledge of the cleaning sector but I imagine a crew of 75 people for a whole day will be a few thousand. But there is more to life than money, which was the point of my next statement

No body mentioned the word 'exploitation' but I'm curious where your confidence comes from to use the term 'rest of us?' A club quite clearly is, first and foremost, a business. I would've hoped that administration a few years ago would've proved that. Making the environment comfortable and cleaner is indeed the right thing to do as was needed. However, that's surely part and parcel of any business that wants to attract new customers.

I think the rest of us is quite clear that there's a majority who didn't see this as some exploitation (I can't think of another word for it but the sentiment is there). Since administration things have been slowly getting more comfortable, however as some have mentioned there are bits of the roof that leaks etc, money is better spent fixing that stuff.

But make it comfortable and clean and people will want to come again, that was the whole idea of the day. The community (more than finance) coming together to help create and maintain a welcoming environment for others.

I don't see how you come to this conclusion. Are you saying that the Club should regularly ask fans to carry out other tasks around the ground just to avoid criticism?

I think the other way around, when this stuff happens I'm sure there will be plenty of people who would say "I would happily have come do that if I were asked".

Things are being run well from what I can observe and I'm grateful for it. I'm just not sure how getting fans in to carry out tasks that professionals can do better increases feelings of value and engagement.

It gives the fans a feeling of ownership. I'm sure if you're doing some DIY around your property you'd be more satisfied if you did it rather than paying for someone to do it. This gives you a sense of ownership and accomplishment.

This sentiment makes fans feel part of a club rather than just sidelined as customers.

Genuinely not here to berate those that took part but more to question the Club's initial intent.

Thanks

But that's the problem, there is no malicious intent, there is no plan to exploit (yes I used it again) the kind nature of the fan base.

The reason for my first response was well summed up by Davie, people contributing to the community as a whole, through means greater than finance, the club opening the door to engage with fans and give them an opportunity to get some ownership and pride to the ground, being questioned purely as a financial motivation is not justified.

There's no reason to treat everything as a negative and an opportunity to poke a stick at the club.

Could a professional cleaning service do a better job? Maybe. Would it cost substantially more? Certainly. Do those who attended feel they got more from the day than just a bacon roll and a free ticket to a game? I'm sure they can answer it for themselves.