Joel Grant - Lack of effort | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Joel Grant - Lack of effort

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
demportdave":6zms4fd4 said:
stewthenoo":6zms4fd4 said:
JV definitely v happy to be here and I should think is v frustrated at not being able to recreate his earlier season form. Carrying an injury is my guess which is hampering his ability to perform to his full potential.
Utter nonsense to suggest that Grant is carrying some sort of injury.

Do you seriously believe that we are going to challenge for the Play-offs with him in the side?

He is a very average League 2 player who has serious desire and commitment problems.

Tisdale is still taking the p*ss out of Argyle on the After Dinner circuit about us signing him; he still canā€™t quite believe it, but it gets him a laugh when he tells the audience about how he passed him on to us.

Is that genuine re Tisdale? Heā€™s got plenty of time to do the after dinner stuff though as heā€™s still out of work. Anybody who dresses in silly hats and cravats like he does has no right to take the p out of anybody. Years ago 2010 I think, Owls supporters absolutely slaughtered him for his dress sense. Trouble is, they slaughtered us 5-1.

Mar 23, 2008
I have been impressed by Joel Grant this season but he looked again like he didn't fancy it today, when we really needed him to step up. Very lacklustre performance and a more determined striker would have done better when he was all but clean through in the first half.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He bottled a 50/50 with the goalie. It's starting to get to me now.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
demportdave":10mzk2dj said:
stewthenoo":10mzk2dj said:
JV definitely v happy to be here and I should think is v frustrated at not being able to recreate his earlier season form. Carrying an injury is my guess which is hampering his ability to perform to his full potential.
Utter nonsense to suggest that Grant is carrying some sort of injury.

Do you seriously believe that we are going to challenge for the Play-offs with him in the side?

He is a very average League 2 player who has serious desire and commitment problems.

Tisdale is still taking the p*ss out of Argyle on the After Dinner circuit about us signing him; he still canā€™t quite believe it, but it gets him a laugh when he tells the audience about how he passed him on to us.

Why would the 'after dinner circuit' be amused by an obscure third rate team selling a player they've never heard of to an obscure second rate team? :think:
Methinks he needs some new material. Pogle's willing (and cheap), mannequin boy! :?

Mar 14, 2009
I donā€™t know where this ā€œlack of effortā€ has come from. Itā€™s like people come up with a idea and then it somehow sticks when Argyle didnā€™t perform.

Simply, the guy isnā€™t a centre forward but a wide player.

Two examples of goals he has scored this season. Crewe and Swindon away. Both scored with him moving off the flank and coming in from wide positions.

Have a look at the first thing the guy does. He runs or looks for the ball in behind. He is so use to playing off the shoulder of a full back. He just doesnā€™t seem to know how to play with his back to goal. He doesnā€™t seem to understand the role or where to position himself.

People seem to be understanding that is inability to hold up the ball because of a lack of physical strength is somehow because of a lack of effort.

Unfortunately, Lowe has never given him a chance as a Wing Back but l think he would be much better suited to that role than as one of the two main forwards. The Joel Grant l remember last season (in a bad team) played his best football when in wide areas of the pitch. This was before he got injured and Adams tried him out as a centre forward where we already saw it didnā€™t work for him in that position.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that he knows that he is not a striker but he is a better option than Rudden.
Rudden is only 19, he is a big lad but he is far too easily bullied by League 2 centre backs. His ball control, heading ability and distribution is poor and, in my opinion, he should return to Rangers.
It was very disappointing and frustrating to see Dom Telford go off injured after scoring with a good header. He was looking sharp and was probably feeling confident that he could stretch himself to the sprint speed that he is capable of.
Billy Clarke is a busy player but, again, he is not the striker we need.
Looking FORWARD to some new options in the near future.

Forest of Dean Green

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
He was a waste of a pick today. Pulled out of a challenge with the keeper that had Lowe fuming. Heā€™s just not at the races. We need to solve our forward problem to get well into the race as we are not far off

Dec 16, 2004
On the highlights watch Joel Grants complete lack of enthusiasm when Dom scores. Also during the match he rarely gets out of a comfortable trot and more often than not (for that read always) ducks a challenge. I would be very surprised if we see him in a starting 11 for us again. Disappointing as he is a skillful player. I bet he's brilliant in training when tackles etc. are not 100%.

John Cooper

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
lyndhurst13":35ly3r73 said:
On the highlights watch Joel Grants complete lack of enthusiasm when Dom scores. Also during the match he rarely gets out of a comfortable trot and more often than not (for that read always) ducks a challenge. I would be very surprised if we see him in a starting 11 for us again. Disappointing as he is a skillful player. I bet he's brilliant in training when tackles etc. are not 100%.

:thumbs:

Couldn't agree more. Sooner see Fletcher

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
Not sure about lack of effort but what struck me is that he seems to be running in treacle. A couple of times the ball went into the space and the defender or keeper beat him easily. He wasn't the only one mind you. I thought he did do well when the pass came to him directly and he did hold it up under lots of physical pressure. I thought he used to be quick!!!maybe he's bulked up and lost that.

Clarke and rudden were the same(Zak not so much on the holdup). The trouble was that once possession was retained there was often no option to lay it off to centrally so we went back.

We have no pace to stretch the defence, no movement and options to build from forward possession so we get pedestrian and move the ball slowly.

Jun 27, 2019
lyndhurst13":1dxv8fu6 said:
On the highlights watch Joel Grants complete lack of enthusiasm when Dom scores.

He was the same when Canavan scored the late winner against Stevenage. His teammates went crazy and sprinted off to form a bundle by the fans, whereas Grant just ambled behind them as though we'd just scored a consolation in a pre-season friendly.

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":2r47jeml said:
I donā€™t know where this ā€œlack of effortā€ has come from. Itā€™s like people come up with a idea and then it somehow sticks when Argyle didnā€™t perform.

Two examples of goals he has scored this season. Crewe and Swindon away. Both scored with him moving off the flank and coming in from wide positions.

Have a look at the first thing the guy does. He runs or looks for the ball in behind. He is so use to playing off the shoulder of a full back. He just doesnā€™t seem to know how to play with his back to goal. He doesnā€™t seem to understand the role or where to position himself.

People seem to be understanding that is inability to hold up the ball because of a lack of physical strength is somehow because of a lack of effort.

Unfortunately, Lowe has never given him a chance as a Wing Back but l think he would be much better suited to that role than as one of the two main forwards. The Joel Grant l remember last season (in a bad team) played his best football when in wide areas of the pitch. This was before he got injured and Adams tried him out as a centre forward where we already saw it didnā€™t work for him in that position.
Regardless of the fact he is a wide player rather than a striker there is no excuse for bottling out of 50/50 situations.Yesterday was not a one off but is becoming the norm. Joel is not "with it "for some reason.

Aug 5, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":37exa54l said:

So if you get played in a position that you would prefer not to, it is understandable to play with a fraction of the desire and application?

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
McQ":2sahv01j said:
Not sure about lack of effort but what struck me is that he seems to be running in treacle. A couple of times the ball went into the space and the defender or keeper beat him easily. He wasn't the only one mind you. I thought he did do well when the pass came to him directly and he did hold it up under lots of physical pressure. I thought he used to be quick!!!maybe he's bulked up and lost that.

Clarke and rudden were the same(Zak not so much on the holdup). The trouble was that once possession was retained there was often no option to lay it off to centrally so we went back.

We have no pace to stretch the defence, no movement and options to build from forward possession so we get pedestrian and move the ball slowly.

Joel Grant is 31... maybe heā€™s lost a yard of pace.

Mar 14, 2009
Sorry, l just donā€™t think he is lazy.

Yesterday l noticed how hard he tried to hold the ball up on occasions. It doesnā€™t strike me thatā€™s a lazy player.

What people want to see is a ā€œJamie Mackieā€ type player whoā€™s style makes him look like he is trying more.

So players have better engines than others. It doesnā€™t mean they are lazy.

When he was through on goal in the first half yesterday he struck me, with his dreadful first touch to get away from defenders, as a player short on confidence. Itā€™s amazing what confidence does to you. Just look at Mayor. The more it seems to try a trick or two the more it seems not work. Yet l bet last year everything he did just worked and it was seemingly natural.

Again, l will say look at J Grant under Adams. Out wide at times he was very good. When Adams put him down the middle he scored the odd goal but he never looked the same player.