Lack of atmosphere? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lack of atmosphere?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Agreed. The best atmosphere I ever experienced in a football stadium was at Hillsborough three years ago in a play off semi final against Brighton. The whole stadium of about 40,000 Wednesdayites were on their feet singing the bouncing song, accompanied by phone lights (a song I see the Devonport end have tried to adopt with limited success). The stadium was literally shaking to its foundations and the Sky commentary team were moved to state that they had never witnessed anything like it. The only ground I have ever seen come close to that atmosphere was when a mate and I used to go to Anfield in the old days when the Kop was all standing in the 70’s. The Wednesdayites repeated it again at Wembley in the final, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough for us to go on and win it!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":23ejmly6 said:
Fergy":23ejmly6 said:
The atmosphere at Home Park is sterile for such a large proportion of the time because only half of two blocks out of 22 are prepared to created an atmosphere in the place. Admittedly, the paltry away followings do not help but the style of football on display is immaterial. Thank God all of the moaners will be returning to the Grandstand after Christmas.

So, once the grandstand is open, the Lyndy will be a heaving mass of scarf waving, singing, chanting, Mexican waving, yeeha, andalay, COYGs, standupifyou'reaselfish**** superfans?? :lol: :scarf: :lol:

Well I for one will be turning my pacemaker up to supercharge mode, yeethingy and andawhatsit.

May 3, 2016
Having read Zac Newton's comments in the hearld today it's obvious why the atmosphere is flat,
he said "report anyone committing an offence".
The fun has gone from Home Park, hence the atmosphere is flat, not allowed to stand
(until we get a safety certificate) not allowed to call anyone fat, where's your caravan etc etc.
We have become to pc, I'm sure Mr Newton has seen a lot worse having been an ex matleo, and Bongo being an ex policeman.
The crowds are getting lower, is it the football, the price of a pasty, league position - probably all three but being constantly monitored, and approached to sit down, clap when we tell you is also a factor.
The inconsistency of the club for allowing away fans to stand, and our fans ejected if they stand is rather hypocritical, it could only happen at Argyle.
:banghead:

Aug 5, 2015
Yes it’s a terrible trial having to comply with rules. They should all be abolished! It’s obvious really.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
area51":35jbhfvz said:
clap when we tell you is also a factor.

Can you back this up? We can't boo either, can we? :roll:

Aug 5, 2005
area51":dy9nl0uj said:
Having read Zac Newton's comments in the hearld today it's obvious why the atmosphere is flat,
The fun has gone from Home Park, hence the atmosphere is flat, not allowed to stand
(until we get a safety certificate) not allowed to call anyone fat, where's your caravan etc etc.
We have become to pc, I'm sure Mr Newton has seen a lot worse having been an ex matleo, and Bongo being an ex policeman.
The crowds are getting lower, is it the football, the price of a pasty, league position - probably all three but being constantly monitored, and approached to sit down, clap when we tell you is also a factor.
The inconsistency of the club for allowing away fans to stand, and our fans ejected if they stand is rather hypocritical, it could only happen at Argyle.

You're complaining about people being asked to report racist and homophobic chanting?

May 16, 2016
area51":3adefhhb said:

Or maybe the stand up singers have got tired of all three of their songs ?

May 22, 2006
Well I've been going on and off for 31 years, and apart from one or two very rare occasions I can't remember the atmosphere being particularly good. In actual fact it's nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and have a quiet afternoon at HP, the home fans are so bleddy timid you'll get plenty of peace and quiet. I've known snooker audiences to get more intimidating.

Unless we're not playing well. My first game was a Christmas fixture against Sunderland; the abuse towards the players was so bad, my father had his work cut out convincing me put down the Atari 2600 and waste my time with that again.

You've only got to see what happens to Pasoti after a match - lose, and this place is like Shibuya Crossing. Win and there are tumbleweeds. Sometimes I get suspicious about what actually makes us happy. There are certainly those fans who appear to relish having something to moan about, and a poor result gives them something to do of an evening.

We have a history of slagging off the best players and then being HURT and SHOCKED when they'd rather go and play in the arse-end of Europe.

Might it just be possible - and this won't be a popular opinion but I don't care - that Argyle fans simply aren't very good at supporting their team (not excluding myself)? The usual defence seems to be "I've paid my money so I can say what I like", which kind of misses the point of being a "supporter". Home Park has never been a place that other teams fear. It wouldn't surprise me if we had a reputation among opposing players.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
The last time the atmosphere has been consistently good is when we were in admin staring into the abyss with Fletcher as manager. The crowd gained us points that season by pure willpower. Since then it's usually been expectant of results and seems to wait for the team to get them going.

Aug 29, 2014
Another big factor is that a high percentage of our support is over 50 and dont engage in vocal support . The group that do in blk 3 are mostly in their twenties.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Ham Green":cvvzgexf said:
Well I've been going on and off for 31 years, and apart from one or two very rare occasions I can't remember the atmosphere being particularly good. In actual fact it's nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and have a quiet afternoon at HP, the home fans are so bleddy timid you'll get plenty of peace and quiet. I've known snooker audiences to get more intimidating.

Unless we're not playing well. My first game was a Christmas fixture against Sunderland; the abuse towards the players was so bad, my father had his work cut out convincing me put down the Atari 2600 and waste my time with that again.

You've only got to see what happens to Pasoti after a match - lose, and this place is like Shibuya Crossing. Win and there are tumbleweeds. Sometimes I get suspicious about what actually makes us happy. There are certainly those fans who appear to relish having something to moan about, and a poor result gives them something to do of an evening.

We have a history of slagging off the best players and then being HURT and SHOCKED when they'd rather go and play in the arse-end of Europe.

Might it just be possible - and this won't be a popular opinion but I don't care - that Argyle fans simply aren't very good at supporting their team (not excluding myself)? The usual defence seems to be "I've paid my money so I can say what I like", which kind of misses the point of being a "supporter". Home Park has never been a place that other teams fear. It wouldn't surprise me if we had a reputation among opposing players.

Agree with that Ham. Been going on and off since 1974/5 and the atmosphere then was far better than I’ve known it since. Even then, I remember being surprised at how many negative fans there were compared to my hometown team. The Lyndhurst used to be pretty good at one time, particularly after the roof blew off the Devonport, but now it’s pretty dead apart from people shouting bleddy rubbish Argyle.

Jun 27, 2006
Plymouth
Even back in the championship days when we were in the top half of the table, fans were moaning. I will never forget the poor attendance at home straight after the Watford defeat in the FA cup quarter final where there were less than 11000 at the game. I am not from Plymouth but have been going for 20 years now and I still can't work out some of the locals

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can certainly remember on this very website Argyle fans saying Newcastle in the FA Cup was a ‘crap draw’ as we were in the same division.

I used to sit in Block 14 (Row Q) right on the end of the row and saying loudly to anyone who would listen that this was as good as it gets.

Derby, Notts Forest, Newcastle, Cardiff etc on a regular basis. Back in the days when there was only one league club in Devon.

Dec 3, 2005
gosisapilgrim":aij52r8o said:
Even back in the championship days when we were in the top half of the table, fans were moaning. I will never forget the poor attendance at home straight after the Watford defeat in the FA cup quarter final where there were less than 11000 at the game. I am not from Plymouth but have been going for 20 years now and I still can't work out some of the locals

Premiership Bournemouth regularily get 10,000+ even against the best teams in the Premiership.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
That’s the maximum capacity of Dean Court though.

As a poster alluded to above, our fan base on the whole is not as ardent and zealous as is widely perceived. I admire our away followings (at least numerically) but it’s laughable when some people mention us in the same breath as fans of Leeds, the two Sheffield clubs, Newcastle, Sunderland, Pompey etc.