Lack of atmosphere? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lack of atmosphere?

pafc cobbie08

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Nov 16, 2008
Hampshire
Fergy":2nxv3exh said:
That’s the maximum capacity of Dean Court though.

As a poster alluded to above, our fan base on the whole is not as ardent and zealous as is widely perceived. I admire our away followings (at least numerically) but it’s laughable when some people mention us in the same breath as fans of Leeds, the two Sheffield clubs, Newcastle, Sunderland, Pompey etc.
Totally agree.
The game is still a working mans game up north.
Argyle as a club don't want that anyway, they couldn't cope with the behaviour if we were followed in the same way as Leeds for example.
Argyle's model is very family orientated.

Sep 6, 2006
Ham Green":34xcn97r said:
Well I've been going on and off for 31 years, and apart from one or two very rare occasions I can't remember the atmosphere being particularly good. In actual fact it's nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and have a quiet afternoon at HP, the home fans are so bleddy timid you'll get plenty of peace and quiet. I've known snooker audiences to get more intimidating.

Unless we're not playing well. My first game was a Christmas fixture against Sunderland; the abuse towards the players was so bad, my father had his work cut out convincing me put down the Atari 2600 and waste my time with that again.

You've only got to see what happens to Pasoti after a match - lose, and this place is like Shibuya Crossing. Win and there are tumbleweeds. Sometimes I get suspicious about what actually makes us happy. There are certainly those fans who appear to relish having something to moan about, and a poor result gives them something to do of an evening.

We have a history of slagging off the best players and then being HURT and SHOCKED when they'd rather go and play in the arse-end of Europe.

Might it just be possible - and this won't be a popular opinion but I don't care - that Argyle fans simply aren't very good at supporting their team (not excluding myself)? The usual defence seems to be "I've paid my money so I can say what I like", which kind of misses the point of being a "supporter". Home Park has never been a place that other teams fear. It wouldn't surprise me if we had a reputation among opposing players.

All the above is pretty far fetched. As if Home Park is the only place where fans criticise the players or where the atmosphere could be better. I suspect the poster rarely travels away. If he did he would find a lot of 'libraries' on his travels. Surprise surprise when the team struggles it does get pretty quiet. Yes we are not Anfield but then they have lot more to shout about.
Opposing managers regularly talk about Home Park and the need to quieten the crowd early on.
BUT its not the same as the 70's or 80's when the Lyndhurst and Demport used to be rocking - WHEN we were playing well. All seater plays a part but the whole occasion is more sanitised and family orientated now. Pluses and minuses. Yes crowds are quieter EVERYWHERE. Case in point Wembley for Bulgaria game. However there is less racism violence etc and you don't have people p~ssing in your pocket. Its the same everywhere not just Home Park so less of the rubbish above please blaming Argyle fans. For Gods sake we are long suffering and pretty loyal on the whole.

Aug 12, 2018
The atmosphere at HP is pretty dire unless we are playing Exeter, Pompous or Berristol. The all seater concrete horseshoe is mainly to blame. People sitting next to people who don’t like rowdy behaviour or noise ....What I wouldn’t give for a terrace like the Big Bank. I think the Mayflower refurb will help with the atmosphere but only if the team start to climb the table.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3rtd9syr said:
Ham Green":3rtd9syr said:
Well I've been going on and off for 31 years, and apart from one or two very rare occasions I can't remember the atmosphere being particularly good. In actual fact it's nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and have a quiet afternoon at HP, the home fans are so bleddy timid you'll get plenty of peace and quiet. I've known snooker audiences to get more intimidating.

Unless we're not playing well. My first game was a Christmas fixture against Sunderland; the abuse towards the players was so bad, my father had his work cut out convincing me put down the Atari 2600 and waste my time with that again.

You've only got to see what happens to Pasoti after a match - lose, and this place is like Shibuya Crossing. Win and there are tumbleweeds. Sometimes I get suspicious about what actually makes us happy. There are certainly those fans who appear to relish having something to moan about, and a poor result gives them something to do of an evening.

We have a history of slagging off the best players and then being HURT and SHOCKED when they'd rather go and play in the arse-end of Europe.

Might it just be possible - and this won't be a popular opinion but I don't care - that Argyle fans simply aren't very good at supporting their team (not excluding myself)? The usual defence seems to be "I've paid my money so I can say what I like", which kind of misses the point of being a "supporter". Home Park has never been a place that other teams fear. It wouldn't surprise me if we had a reputation among opposing players.

All the above is pretty far fetched. As if Home Park is the only place where fans criticise the players or where the atmosphere could be better. I suspect the poster rarely travels away. If he did he would find a lot of 'libraries' on his travels. Surprise surprise when the team struggles it does get pretty quiet. Yes we are not Anfield but then they have lot more to shout about.
Opposing managers regularly talk about Home Park and the need to quieten the crowd early on.
BUT its not the same as the 70's or 80's when the Lyndhurst and Demport used to be rocking - WHEN we were playing well. All seater plays a part but the whole occasion is more sanitised and family orientated now. Pluses and minuses. Yes crowds are quieter EVERYWHERE. Case in point Wembley for Bulgaria game. However there is less racism violence etc and you don't have people p~ssing in your pocket. Its the same everywhere not just Home Park so less of the rubbish above please blaming Argyle fans. For Gods sake we are long suffering and pretty loyal on the whole.

Couldn`t agree more Mr BG.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
The current management board seem intent to eviscerate support other than from the Devonport End. The passionate lads in the Lyndhurst have been cancelled. PC rules, the ridiculous issue of the Discrimination statement, where no or extemely minor 'discrimination' is, or has been evident is evidence of this culture. Maybe one person complained?....
and maybe Parkinson learnt nothing from the steady hand and experience of the prev CEO?

B

Bonehead

Duncan Rice":u9l4n8o4 said:
The current management board seem intent to eviscerate support other than from the Devonport End. The passionate lads in the Lyndhurst have been cancelled. PC rules, the ridiculous issue of the Discrimination statement, where no or extemely minor 'discrimination' is, or has been evident is evidence of this culture. Maybe one person complained?....
and maybe Parkinson learnt nothing from the steady hand and experience of the prev CEO?

Spot on , one snowflake negates 500 loud and passionate voices.

May 21, 2018
Seems to be selective memory here. The Lyndhurst has never in my memory (back to the late 60s) been a singing stand during the standing era. Also, how people remember the 'great' atmosphere of the 80s when we were down to the 'faithful 4000' and the bust stop stand in the Devonport baffles me. How do the explain that the most singing has come since the horseshoe was built and everyone sat down (with the help of the drummers) -remember promotion against QPR and 'Three Little Birds' for example - when did the standing stadium match that? Why have our attendances doubled since the standing days?

Aug 26, 2019
rawleyboy":psnnbjz4 said:
It wouldn't suprise me to find that the people complaining about a flat atmosphere at HP are the ones who never contribute to it .Apart from bock 3 who try to create one each and every game it is never backed up from other areas of the ground so that then has a negative effect on it . I do think though that the issues lately in the Lyndhurst have not helped .
could not agree more , I sit on the very back row of block 3 and we try our best , would be nice to hear others join in , although there are pockets in other blocks who do they are not backed by the rest