League 2...would it be that bad? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

League 2...would it be that bad?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The standard of football has been notably better in League One. Argyle's own performances haven't always been up to scratch but generally speaking it's because opposition teams are so much better. If we go down and don't retain or adequately replace our better players the standard of football will plummet.

Then there is the damage it will do to the club's image. We are probably perceived by the wider football world to be a 3rd and 4th tier club at this point and that needs to change. It's going to take a lot to achieve but it's possible to return to our 2nd and 3rd tier status if the off-field progress continues. I think that is in hand but the team is dangerously close to cocking it all up for another few years at this rate.

Dec 23, 2005
I would say, stay in this league at all costs! This time, should we succeed, DA must start to rebuild his squad, remove the deadwood, keep what's good, and then have a decent pre-season, playing some decent opposition - no disrespect to the SWPL sides we have been playing early on in the preseason. Let's hope we can stay up! Come on you Greens!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
We’re much better equipped to bounce back this time around and whether you like DA or not, he knows how to do well in that division.

But I agree, stay up at all costs.

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
Nobby":uzjeq5gc said:
We’re much better equipped to bounce back this time around and whether you like DA or not, he knows how to do well in that division.

Are you seriously suggesting he should be kept on after this shambolic mess he has created?

Sep 3, 2011
It would be a disaster. The trap door to non league obivlion. The best players would leave and you would be looking at starting from scratch. Apathy seems to be in Plymouth at the moment

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":2lzs9aa6 said:

So if he got us promoted again then get rid of him by that bizarre logic.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
If we could win the league that would be amazing!!! Maybe we need a step backwards to step forwards. :scarf: :)

There would also be nobody better than Adams to take us up, like it or not because he knows the players and has an excellent L2 record.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
r4h4al":29kzo3ga said:
If we could win the league that would be amazing!!! Maybe we need a step backwards to step forwards. :scarf: :)

There would also be nobody better than Adams to take us up, like it or not because he knows the players and has an excellent L2 record.

And so it goes on...…….

Mar 23, 2008
Starting to think a fresh start in league 2 and a promotion campaign potentially under a new manager is far more exciting than another dour league 1 campaign under Adams.

I do think if we stay up and Adams remains, it will do much harm to attendances as so many are clearly fed up with the negative reactive football.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Anyone who thinks relegation will be anything other than a monumental mistake is dreaming.
This club needs to sell season tickets to fund its existence. The new stand is not dead money, it needs to be paid for. That comes from bums on seats.
League 2 would see us mid table at best. No way would we be promotion contenders.
The reason Torquay are where they are is because of an inept manager, it's also true that they are promoted because of their manager.
Adam's is toxic. He needs to go, stay up or relegated. Who ever thought a five year contract was a good idea knows nothing about football.

Oct 20, 2015
Understand what OP is saying, but it's a bit false to be cheering for promotion directly after relegation. After all, -1 + 1 = 0.

I don't have a lot of faith in recruitment either, whether it's for L2 or L1, although our new ex-Swansea head of recruitment will hopefully prove me wrong.

Whatever happens I think we're stuck with DA. If we stay up he can claim it as a victory 'against the odds'. If we go down then his stock is reduced and he'll struggle to get a job elsewhere (I think) and is contracturally allowed/bound to stay at the club. Maybe, given our defensive woes, we need to find a replacement for Wootton?

I'd rather stay in L1 even though I stand to win £80 or so from my consolation bet of us being relegated! Most of all I don't want there to be any debate about 'the best team in Devon'. The derbys are fun but it's so painful to see Excreta above us in the league.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
r4h4al":1ie45y6x said:

Surely this is just trolling.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Deacster":1aj3jjon said:
Starting to think a fresh start in league 2 and a promotion campaign potentially under a new manager is far more exciting than another dour league 1 campaign under Adams.

I do think if we stay up and Adams remains, it will do much harm to attendances as so many are clearly fed up with the negative reactive football.
Our attendances are holding up well considering.