'Marmite' Argyle Players | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'Marmite' Argyle Players

Dec 20, 2011
For me, .Johnny Willaims. He was a superb midfielder with a tremendous ability to score from outside the penalty area. He had terrific shot.

The two that stick in my mind are Luke Summerfield and Mickey Evans. At the time I used to stand in front of the Demport pylon with my sons seated on the concrete base, I used to hear nothing but abuse of these players, which simply amazed me, as I could see nothing but skill. Perhaps because they didn’t conform to the muscular footballer stereotype, with one thin and gangly, the other not very fast.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Brian Johnson

We had a group on the popular aide that used to follow up a "Hugh McAuley walks on water!" chant with a version that went "Brian Johnson floats on seaweed!"

Then at each halves kick off we would cheer whoever was on that wing.. McAuley would stare fixedly ahead and never acknowledged us. Johnson always gave us a wave.

Good player that gave balance the the 4-4-2/4-2-4 system that won promotion in 74/5

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
ArgyleRob":eqt1c1yw said:
Jon beswetherick always divided opinion between me and a friend of mine.
I'd agree with that. My admiration of his commitment is still ridiculed now when his name is mentioned.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Jimmy Hinch??

I saw a big strong forward, gangly legs and arms flapping all over the shop = very difficult to mark out of a game.

Others saw a moderate basketball player who had wandered into the wrong changing room!! :oops: :lol:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Keepitgreen":2tp8kuli said:
ArgyleRob":2tp8kuli said:
Jon beswetherick always divided opinion between me and a friend of mine.
I'd agree with that. My admiration of his commitment is still ridiculed now when his name is mentioned.

Yes that is a great shout. I was on a corporate at Hillsborough on that famous Tuesday night when we won 3.v 1. A Sheff Wed friend of mine that I was with couldn't believe how good Beswetherick was that night.

I think it was the only good game I saw him play.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
TheBoldman":12zn395j said:
How about Steve Adams? An absolutely committed and incredibly important element of the Sturrock 102 points championship season who got all kinds of stick from the fans as he wasn't the most technically gifted player. He did a great job though in Sturrock's 4-5-1 away formation.

He was a proper water-carrier. As you say 100% commitment. Went on to be promoted again under Luggy with Sheffield Wednesday and Swindon I believe.

Jul 12, 2004
TheBoldman":2e6autji said:
How about Steve Adams? An absolutely committed and incredibly important element of the Sturrock 102 points championship season who got all kinds of stick from the fans as he wasn't the most technically gifted player. He did a great job though in Sturrock's 4-5-1 away formation.

Totally agree with you probably my favourite player from that team.

What about Ashley Barnes. I can't remember what the match was but it was away from home when he looked the greatest striker Argyle had had for years.

C

Cult Of Personality

Jamie Mackie . Some fans loved his headless chicken style play whilst others like me preferred players with a more measured approach

Oct 31, 2015
Ian Stonebridge for me. I was always on his back at games giving him what for then he scored the late winner at Sid James park and he was my hero for all of 5 minutes.

Aren't we fickle :funny:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Herts_Green":2gx9g83m said:
Stevie Crawford. I was on the side of those who said he was just on a different wave length to the other players (in a positive way).

Me too..