'Marmite' Argyle Players | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'Marmite' Argyle Players

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
JannerinCardiff":1oifg8iz said:
Herts_Green":1oifg8iz said:
Stevie Crawford. I was on the side of those who said he was just on a different wave length to the other players (in a positive way).

Me too..

Also Robbie Turner and dare I say it... Paul Wotton.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
John Mitten...had the unenviable job of replacing fans favourite Barrie Jones (or was it Nicky Jennings?)...time plays tricks! In that era also Andy Nelson...great old warhorse of a centre half, got stick when pushed up front as a CF as Uftons desperate reign came to an end.... :thumbdown:

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Good call Duncan, I remember that period vividly, just as you say....it was Nicky Jennings , whom he followed on from during the 66/67 season.
I remember well the excitement/hope at the start of the following, relegation, season when, within the first four matches, we had completed the double over Villa, with Johnny M scoring the only goal at theirs.
Loved Andy Nelson , but remember John Sillett too being very marmite; it was Sillett I remember being put up front.

(An opposition player that season has never since been marmite for me; I’ve despised that prat Rodney Marsh ever since he smirkingly dived on the Boxing Day)

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Like Pogleswoody I immediately thought of Jimmy Hinch. Tall gangly would often trip over his own feet...... and then he would score a magnificent overhead kick from the edge of the box!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
saffronwalden green":3kq44h7y said:
Jim Hinch, all legs and no talent, but always in the right place at the right time to score goals.

Goalscoring and being in the right spot is a talent that many more gifted players do not/did not have!! :scarf:

Jan 11, 2016
Wilf Carter for me. I know some people rated him but all he ever seemed to do was run around a bit so that he was in the right spot to score the odd 30 goals a season!!!!!! Give me Keith Sanderson any day!

Jan 21, 2007
Chris Clark and Jim Patterson for me.

Those two had absolutely no ambition, nothing exciting ever happened when they played ... the most boring players to ever pull on a green shirt in the time I’ve been watching; my heart used to sink when I saw their names on the team sheet.

Clark would regularly get the ball in a good position, usually wide left by the byline, and with the situation needing him to either take on and beat a player, or whip an early ball across the back line into the box, he would stop, cut back, stop, and roll the ball back to Jim Patterson who (unbelievably had the nickname “step over” because, three or four bog standard Scottish teams ago, was fancied as a winger and was a one trick pony, who had long since abandoned every inch of attacking flair that he may once have had) lollipopped the ball to their keeper for an easy catch ... the whole team runs back, and we’re defending again.

Jim Patterson bored the life out of me, but Chris Clark took it to another dimension.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mackie for me.

Never lit my candle. Incredible pace but always seemed to run up dead alleyways.,

I know greens loved him but I didn’t

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
John Delve, followed by Leigh Cooper for me. Both very industrious but rarely made positive contributions. Only my opinion, of course, so tin hat on.

Aug 8, 2013
My thoughts also went immediately to Jimmy Hinch.
To the early-teen eyes of my friends and me, he was
a tangled mass of limbs that missed open goals, but my
Dad rated him highly for his holding ability.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
So many names, so many memories and so many Argyle players over the years who could be relied upon to go from zero to hero - and back again (usually in the space of 45 minutes of football). From all of these great suggestions I have tried to put together a suitable eleven that I think would give many an opposition team plenty to think about. They would also give the faithful moaners and groaners something to really get their teeth into! :lol:

Full backs - Kevin Hodges & Tony Capaldi

Central defence - Paul Wotton & George Foster

Midfield - Stevie Adams, Martin Barlow & Conor Hourihane

Up Front - Reuben Reid, Mickey Evans & Brian Johnson

You may be wondering about the keeper and, to be honest, so am I. No one has yet suggested a 'Marmite' player between the sticks and I am scratching my head to think of one that falls within that category. In my time of watching Argyle I think that we have been pretty lucky to have had predominantly good goalkeepers, and I can't remember one who divided opinion too much. Yes, there have been short-lived disappointments in that position (last season tends to spring to mind :whistle: ) but, for me, memories of the likes of Pat Dunne, Jim Furnell, Romain Larieu and Super Luke tend to prevail.

'Marmite' goalkeepers, anyone?