'Marmite' Argyle Players | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'Marmite' Argyle Players

Aug 8, 2013
Mark58":3qo5rgbi said:
So many names, so many memories and so many Argyle players over the years who could be relied upon to go from zero to hero - and back again (usually in the space of 45 minutes of football). From all of these great suggestions I have tried to put together a suitable eleven that I think would give many an opposition team plenty to think about. They would also give the faithful moaners and groaners something to really get their teeth into! :lol:

Full backs - Kevin Hodges & Tony Capaldi

Central defence - Paul Wotton & George Foster

Midfield - Stevie Adams, Martin Barlow & Conor Hourihane

Up Front - Reuben Reid, Mickey Evans & Brian Johnson

You may be wondering about the keeper and, to be honest, so am I. No one has yet suggested a 'Marmite' player between the sticks and I am scratching my head to think of one that falls within that category. In my time of watching Argyle I think that we have been pretty lucky to have had predominantly good goalkeepers, and I can't remember one who divided opinion too much. Yes, there have been short-lived disappointments in that position (last season tends to spring to mind :whistle: ) but, for me, memories of the likes of Pat Dunne, Jim Furnell, Romain Larieu and Super Luke tend to prevail.

'Marmite' goalkeepers, anyone?

No, not really. Opinion tends to be pretty unanimous with regard to keepers.
One candidate though might be Neil Ramsbottom, who everyone I knew thought
was rubbish, but somehow managed to win the player of the year award. I did hear
later that there'd been some ballot box stuffing; anyone remeber the case ?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Steve Cherry. Didn’t like it when he replaced Geoff Crudgington but he ‘grew on me’ and he was there for our only win at Wembley.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Martin_Brock":m20dk4wl said:
Jon Sheffield for the keeper? Some loved him, others tended to be very critical.

M

The Sheff!! I'd completely forgotten about him! I now remember nervous shouts all around me of, 'Punch it!' when a cross came in. Poor Jon Sheffield, his catching to dropping ratio must have been around 50/50. :scarf:

Jul 3, 2013
Kelvin Mellor in more recent years, lot's of full backs/wing backs will always fall into this category.

Always some arguements on here about the following players

Paul Wotton
Steve McClean
Karl Duguid
Bjarni Gudjonson
Nick Chadwick

And who can forget a young Yoann Folly .

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Tend to remember the players I loved watching but was bewildered others didn't - so Stevie Crawford certainly tops that list. Thought he oozed class but got a right slagging from many on PASOTI. I just couldn't understand why people couldn't see it.

He'd be closely followed by Ruben Lameiras...... OK most came around to seeing his quality - eventually - but bloody hell he got pelters initially and when he was nearly shipped out to Oldham (?) there was a thread rejoicing about it. Then when that fell thru' he was thrown into the team in desperation and then we went on that astonishing purple patch under Adams that took us from bottom to within a whisker of the play-offs. Ruben & GC10 were quite brilliant together in that spell.

Also there was Akos - who is quite rightly remembered now with misty eyed reverence but at the time he was frequently attacked as a 'luxury' or a 'show-pony'. Now I concede he could often be a liability ...... if he got the ball on the edge of our box I would literally cover my eyes for fear of him trying something stupid...... but boy what a player! A joy to watch - someone who could produce a piece of magic that was worth the entrance fee alone. Probably my favourite ever Argyle player.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
The goalkeeper has to be Noel Dwyer. Not only did he divide the supporters but caused a rift between the Directors and manager Malcom Allison.Their insistence that he be dropped led to Allison's departure.
Dwyer rented a house near to one of my relatives. As I was leaving late one Friday evening I saw Allison and Dwyer arriving home totally tanked. The next day I went to Home Park expecting the worst. Needless to say Dwyer played an absolute blinder.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Steve MaCLean, some people liked him, never understood why...

Kevin Hodges, I just remember thinking, what do they see in him?

But Mayor certainly divides opinion now....I'm a fan, I just think they need to find the best way to play him

Aug 18, 2010
PL2
Paul Wotton

Never knocked his commitment to the club but always felt he held us back at times quality wise. Normally just as I would give my opinion on alternative players and how we could do with something extra from him, he'd go and bang in a freekick much to the amusement of the people around me.

He may be Mr Plymouth but he's no Mr Castle, Mr McCall or Mr Friio

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
saffronwalden green":2q3255uv said:
Jim Hinch, all legs and no talent, but always in the right place at the right time to score goals.
But they were gorgeous legs! (Sorry, couldn't resist it!)

Aug 27, 2019
Have come to this a little late but 2 names spring to mind:

Melia Aleksic - I always thought he was underused but recall those I went with thought he was both overused & unreliable
Stevie Cooper - I loved his blood & guts approach altho recall my mate moaning everytime (it seemed) that he would have been more effective if he didn;t get injured so often - was that fair?

Over 50 years there have been many others I guess but do recall those 2 in particular. Anyone know where they are now??
Did it end happilly for them/