'Marmite' Argyle Players | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'Marmite' Argyle Players

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
tawtongreen":1fzm0bcq said:
Have come to this a little late but 2 names spring to mind:

Melia Aleksic - I always thought he was underused but recall those I went with thought he was both overused & unreliable
Stevie Cooper - I loved his blood & guts approach altho recall my mate moaning everytime (it seemed) that he would have been more effective if he didn;t get injured so often - was that fair?

Over 50 years there have been many others I guess but do recall those 2 in particular. Anyone know where they are now??
Did it end happilly for them/

Well Milija Aleksic went on to play for Spurs in their FA Cup win in 1981.
He died in 2012 at 61 (Same age as me!!)

Steve Cooper also played in a cup final- Scottish ifor Airdrie vs Celtic but he was a runner up.
He died in 2004 after accidentally cracking his skull in a fall.
Best highest leap I've ever seen in football (trained gymnast) if only his jump timing had been the best too!! :scarf:

Aug 27, 2019
Wow.....thanks for the info.
Isn't life cruel - to die so young in both instances, at least both achieved something in their chosen careers for their loved ones to remember them by.
RIP guys!
Don't know what to say other than.....Thanks from a grateful pilgrim for what you did for us.

Aug 27, 2019
Wow.....thanks for the info.
Isn't life cruel - to die so young in both instances, at least both achieved something in their chosen careers for their loved ones to remember them by.
RIP guys!
Don't know what to say other than.....Thanks from a grateful pilgrim for what you did for us.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Mark58":160csson said:
So many names, so many memories and so many Argyle players over the years who could be relied upon to go from zero to hero - and back again (usually in the space of 45 minutes of football). From all of these great suggestions I have tried to put together a suitable eleven that I think would give many an opposition team plenty to think about. They would also give the faithful moaners and groaners something to really get their teeth into! :lol:

Full backs - Kevin Hodges & Tony Capaldi

Central defence - Paul Wotton & George Foster

Midfield - Stevie Adams, Martin Barlow & Conor Hourihane

Up Front - Reuben Reid, Mickey Evans & Brian Johnson

You may be wondering about the keeper and, to be honest, so am I. No one has yet suggested a 'Marmite' player between the sticks and I am scratching my head to think of one that falls within that category. In my time of watching Argyle I think that we have been pretty lucky to have had predominantly good goalkeepers, and I can't remember one who divided opinion too much. Yes, there have been short-lived disappointments in that position (last season tends to spring to mind :whistle: ) but, for me, memories of the likes of Pat Dunne, Jim Furnell, Romain Larieu and Super Luke tend to prevail.

'Marmite' goalkeepers, anyone?

Kyle Letheren?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
falmouthgreen":17deubmb said:
For me, .Johnny Willaims. He was a superb midfielder with a tremendous ability to score from outside the penalty area. He had terrific shot.
But I don't think he ever split opinion. One of his team mates in the 1958-59 promotion side did though - George Baker. Played in a deep-lying role, supporters couldn't fathom having a number nine playing in that way, It was new and different - and entirely unacceptable to most!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Terry Austin springs to mind, he had the unenviable task of replacing Paul Mariner, 20 goals in 69 appearances.