Mayor | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor

Mar 14, 2009
When people say he played well l would ask you to consider two things.

1. When he did something well, what part of the pitch was this done and, did it hurt the opposition?

2. Look at their second goal. He had no idea how to deal with the opposition player breaking on him from the half way line.

I know people will say he helped create our first goal. Yet this is him in an advance position on the counter attack. When he is around the half way line with opposition sat behind the ball he is lost because he wants to dribble but there is way too many people for him to beat.

Mayor is a good player. However, to play your best weapon in CM is alarming when he can’t get in dangerous positions enough. Too many times he has to beat a midfield and a defensive line.

This is Lowe putting him there. This is a Lowe issue as much as Danny Mayor performance consistency one.

Mar 4, 2004
The defence is the problem not Mayor, that albatross is sapping the morale of the whole team. Needs to be fixed quickly.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Metal_Green_Mickey":7rdt8i0g said:

1. When he did something well, what part of the pitch was this done and, did it hurt the opposition?

2. Look at their second goal. He had know idea how to deal with the opposition player breaking on him from the half way line.

I know people will say he helped create our first goal. Yet this is him in an advance position on the counter attack. When he is around the half way line with opposition sat behind the ball he is lost because he wants to dribble but there is way too many people for him to beat.

Mayor is a good player. However, to play your best weapon in CM is alarming when he can’t get in dangerous positions enough. Too many times he has to beat a midfield and a defensive line.

This is Lowe putting him there. This is a Lowe issue as much as Danny Mayor performance consistency one.

I thought that Byron should have stayed with the guy who scored, I didn't see it was Mayor's fault.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
saxman":3sfysgir said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3sfysgir said:

2. Look at their second goal. He had know idea how to deal with the opposition player breaking on him from the half way line.

I thought that Byron should have stayed with the guy who scored, I didn't see it was Mayor's fault.

Goal 2 was Moore's fault from start to finish. And not only getting done in midfield but also showing the heart of a pea trying to track a much slower player
Goal 3 was Aimsons fault. Wrong side of the player then got in a huge messy tangle. Also not sure he completed a pass all night
Rewind to goal 1. McLeods fault for a naff attempt to head the ball out.
But none of them get their very own thread tearing shreds off them... Because its fashionable to lash out at Mayor for everything, even when he's at the centre of pretty much every positive move Argyle string together.
To come on here to start an entire thread about Mayor after his performance tonight, not even mentioning the woeful pieces of play by three others, just shows he's the whipping boy.

Mar 14, 2009
saxman":2wcfn19f said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2wcfn19f said:

Bryon may of been to blame as well. I just find the whole thing frustratingly easy for opposition.

If you had another CM with Camara’s work rate then the team wouldn’t look so unbalanced.

He has basically built a side around Danny Mayor. Except the position Lowe puts Mayor in doesn’t help the team or the player.

I would except us being so poor at the back if we looked so dangerous going forward. However, if you look at the clear cut chances tonight it was Oxford from the 30min of the game who always looked like winning it.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Some on here need their bumps felt.

Danny Mayor is a good player - maybe his end product could be better, but most of our forward momentum is through him.

The defence is our problem and it needs sorting pdq.

Aug 15, 2015
WoodsyGreen":jxf8j4yf said:
Mayor and Camara were the only two players who looked likely to make something happen tonight.

If people are looking to take their frustration out on someone they should aim it at the Muppet Show defence. Canavan, Aimson and Watts made it far too easy for Oxford to get their goals, and Cooper didn't exactly cover himself in glory either.

Another shocking chapter in the depressing saga that is Argyle's defensive woes.

Before those mistakes occur(ed) higher up the pitch, we are not commanding the game - of which Mayor is a part of along with other players. Before the ball gets in position for a defender to make a mistake, our team has already been broken through far too easily, just as per their 2nd goal tonight. For Mayor's fancy runs, is he in possession enough over 90 minutes? For me, absolutely no. Does he break up opposition play? No. Does he hurt the opposition? Definitely, no. Does he go missing during the game? Yes.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Metal_Green_Mickey":3ljkhbiq said:
saxman":3ljkhbiq said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3ljkhbiq said:

Bryon may of been to blame as well. I just find the whole thing frustratingly easy for opposition.

If you had another CM with Camara’s work rate then the team wouldn’t look so unbalanced.

He has basically built a side around Danny Mayor. Except the position Lowe puts Mayor in doesn’t help the team or the player.

I would except us being so poor at the back if we looked so dangerous going forward. However, if you look at the clear cut chances tonight it was Oxford from the 30min of the game who always looked like winning it.

May have been to blame :funny:

Mar 14, 2009
up_the_line":3k0uye9d said:
saxman":3k0uye9d said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3k0uye9d said:

Goal 2 was Moore's fault from start to finish. And not only getting done in midfield but also showing the heart of a pea trying to track a much slower player
Goal 3 was Aimsons fault. Wrong side of the player then got in a huge messy tangle. Also not sure he completed a pass all night
Rewind to goal 1. McLeods fault for a naff attempt to head the ball out.
But none of them get their very own thread tearing shreds off them... Because its fashionable to lash out at Mayor for everything, even when he's at the centre of pretty much every positive move Argyle string together.

I’m not actually lashing out at Mayor. I’m lashing out at Lowe for putting Mayor in a position which he isn’t suited for.

If he was, he wouldn’t look to forever hug the left touchline. Also he wouldn’t of had to make a tackle because it wouldn’t be his role in the team to do so.

Lowe isn’t changing his ways.

I just ask people to watch Mayor at CM in next few games. He will beat a few players but by the time he reaches a dangerous area the opposition have enough players behind the ball to shut him down.

Also have a look at Camara. How he is all over the pitch. Winning the ball back. Then look at the left side of the pitch and see how easy it is to go through us. Perfect example was 42-43 min tonight. Oxford on attack around our half way line. Argyle midfield lopsided. Oxford player plays a through with no pressure to the forward. The forward with one easy ball is now one on one with Canavan.

It’s not Mayor’s fault the system is unbalanced. It’s Lowe’s who puts him there.

Mar 14, 2009
up_the_line":skhitnhi said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":skhitnhi said:
saxman":skhitnhi said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":skhitnhi said:

May have been to blame :funny:

No, he may of. But my point wasn’t about Moore. It was about Mayor who let the guy run past him. If Mayor didn’t the whole attack wouldn’t of even got to Moore.

Nov 2, 2004
Mayor had a good game, the rubbish some of them achieved tonight and we have a negative thread about Mayor, unbelievable.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
ealinggreen":3gt9yt0f said:
Mayor had a good game, the rubbish some of them achieved tonight and we have a negative thread about Mayor, unbelievable.

My sentiments exactly.
Whipping boy.
Argyle lost? At least I can go on and slate Mayor (completely ignoring the abject errors by other Argyle players which ultimately, not Mayor, cost Argyle the match)

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Overall, I thought Mayor had a decent game but why is it that he can seemingly glide past 4 players almost effortlessly yet he can't get a shot on goal if his life depended on it.

I fear his time at Argyle is coming to an end and he will forever be considered an under-achieving enigma at best or at worse, a vastly overated player who constantly flattered to deceive.

Our problems are mostly defense related. We look like conceding at almost any time.

All Oxford had to do was launch 45-yard free kicks and long throws into our box and it caused chaos and panic because Lowe appears to have little idea of how to organise us defensively.

We don't need 20-year Premiership kids, we need a Mick Heathfield or a Darren Purse who will organise our back line and head the ball clear. That is a basic requirement at this level.

If you dont think Argyle are in trouble just look at our bench and the lack of impact made by our Subs.

Moore, Telford and Nouble; what a waste of time. Substitutions made just for the sake of it to no effect apart from Moore's assist in Oxford' second goal due to his lack of commitment.

Nouble could take the mantle of the least effective Argyle CF from the Morrys Scott.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It seems every Mayor shot gets blocked, even Jephcott blocked one of Mayor's shot today!

Mayor's performances are a mirror image of the team - consistently inconsistent.

He may not be scoring goals or directly assisting in goals but he plays some part in our goals - assisting the assister, as he did against Oxford.
We are a better team with him in it.

Apr 1, 2009
up_the_line":3i9tkylk said:
Scapegoatism at its best.
Argyle's best player tonight.
If you want to point fingers then watch a replay of their player for their second goal and the absolutely pathetic attempt by Moore to follow him into the box... Totally unprofessional and gave them the lead. But its Mayor who gets bollocked because its popular.
Try watching the other ten too.

Well done. Glad someone has responded to this type of unhelpful angry "vendetta" thread.