Mayor | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I thought he played well and he was unfortunate not to score.

If he frustrating? Yes. Do I think he had more to give? Yes.

But we're a much better team with him than without him.

Mar 14, 2009
Whatā€™s the point him beating a player from the half way line when he is confronted by another two opposition players? If he is further forward in his position and beats a player then suddenly the opposition canā€™t re-group.

This is my point. All his good work is done in areas that donā€™t hurt the opposition enough.

He is a good player. For me this isnā€™t a anti Mayor thread for me but a question of where can we get the best out of him.

Like l said do we really think putting Mayor in CM helps Camara and Macleod in midfield? If you look at the midfield especially from 45mins onwards we lose control of the game. The only thing we have to hurt opposition teams in the second half on a consistent basis is the counter attack.

If Mayor is further forward he has the space, especially on the counter attack, to hurt teams.

If he continues to play Mayor in CM l think we are in trouble.

If you move the debate away from Mayor and think about another player he plays out of position to fit in this system.

George Cooper is never a LWB. Yet l would say along with Mayor is the most talented player we have at the club. Yet another ā€œwingerā€ played in a position where defending is just as important as attacking.

You either get players to fit the system you play or you change your system. Edwards has done decently this season at RWB but he came to the club as a midfielder. We had problems at RWB so he has had to fill in instead of Lowe finding someone who who dedicated to playing that role. I believe alongside Camara, Edwards could be very good in the centre of the park.

Baz

Dec 18, 2011
The main problem with Mayor seems to centre around expectations. He was sold to us as the Carey and Lameiras replacement and Lowe built him up to be this, along with very high wages. It is my understanding we could have kept both Carey and Lameiras for his wage alone (Ā£6-8k?). He is not alone to blame for our poor performance but when you are a senior player of his standing you should lead from the front. I have left this post until I have been able to view his performance live (which I did last night) and see him off the ball. He was largely absent from a lot of the game and appears to spend most of his time playing backwards with the occasional run where he always seems to take one touch to many. His confidence is shot!!!
Whatā€™s more Lowe isnā€™t displaying a confident presence on the touch line. Seems to be a bit of fear about.......
This is where we need Lowe to show big leadership, and us, the fans to get behind the team, as without this we could see a relegation battle we would struggle to survive.

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Hang on Baz - are you saying that Ryan Lowe COULD have re-signed both Carey and Lameiras but instead he CHOSE to use the same budget to sign Mayor?

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
Mayor was just about our best player last night and caused Oxford some real problems when he was able to get the ball in the right areas of the pitch.

I would like to see more from Mayor but he can't be blamed for Oxford's cynical attempts to level things up. It was obvious that Oxford were falling over at the least contact so that they could get free kicks in our half/break up the play as much as possible.

Jul 12, 2016
Shoenice":2fr1cggn said:
Just not good enough. We need to stop with the reliance on him as though he was the Neymar or Ronaldo in our team. Maybe start playing George Cooper in an advanced attacking role and bring Mayor on for a change. Something different. I feel sorry for Camara, having both MacLeod and Mayor in midfield with him. Poor lad can't run the whole midfield all by himself.
This. How many more chances does Mayor deserve? Could he be causing some unrest among our other midfielders ?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
oldage":3by7b6pq said:
Shoenice":3by7b6pq said:
Just not good enough. We need to stop with the reliance on him as though he was the Neymar or Ronaldo in our team. Maybe start playing George Cooper in an advanced attacking role and bring Mayor on for a change. Something different. I feel sorry for Camara, having both MacLeod and Mayor in midfield with him. Poor lad can't run the whole midfield all by himself.
This. How many more chances does Mayor deserve? Could he be causing some unrest among our other midfielders ?

Please stop it. You have absolutely no evidence to even pose that question. You can question players abilities, but stop making stuff up to try and justify your opinion.

Jul 12, 2016
Daz":tm0nnxuw said:
oldage":tm0nnxuw said:
Shoenice":tm0nnxuw said:

Please stop it. You have absolutely no evidence to even pose that question. You can question players abilities, but stop making stuff up to try and justify your opinion.
Why shouldn't I ask the question? It is not unreasonable.
Course I don't have any evidence but maybe there is something amiss?

Jul 12, 2016
oldage":3e7uw0oe said:
Daz":3e7uw0oe said:
oldage":3e7uw0oe said:
Shoenice":3e7uw0oe said:

Why shouldn't I ask the question? It is not unreasonable.
Course I don't have any evidence but maybe there is something amiss? Trust Daz to be whiter than white!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":32l9qig7 said:

We scored two goals last night, with Mayor assisting the assister both times... so effectively creating the chance for both goals. They're probably very happy with his contribution :thumbup:

Scoring two goals at home should be enough for a result, so it's reasonable to say he's done his job and the real issue we have is looking fragile every time the opposition come forward.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He was our best player last night alongside Camara but people want him dropped? We have such a tendency as a fan base to slate our best players after a defeat rather than slate those who were actually poor. Itā€™s really strange. As Iā€™ve said, Mayor does need to do more & I did expect more than weā€™ve seen from him during his time at Argyle - but weā€™re still a far better team with him than without him.

Larry David

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Cobi Budge":vdj7cotq said:
He was our best player last night alongside Camara but people want him dropped? We have such a tendency as a fan base to slate our best players after a defeat rather than slate those who were actually poor. Itā€™s really strange. As Iā€™ve said, Mayor does need to do more & I did expect more than weā€™ve seen from him during his time at Argyle - but weā€™re still a far better team with him than without him.

Sorry Cobi I know itā€™s all about opinions but itā€™s the emperorā€™s new clothes for me. He is very easy on the eye but he is so disappointing when it comes to end product. Is Lowe playing him out of position? I donā€™t know? What I do know is that he is no way the upgrade on Carey Lowe promised. I think he also suffers in comparison to Camara who consistently outperforms him. I would be happy to see Cooper given a go in his position for a few games.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I think he is being played out of position. He is right footed and playing him on the left means he has to cut back to get it on his strongest foot. Play him on the right so he can get the crosses in early, curling away from the keeper.

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
Biggs":143gvy6b said:
oldage":143gvy6b said:

We scored two goals last night, with Mayor assisting the assister both times... so effectively creating the chance for both goals. They're probably very happy with his contribution :thumbup:

Scoring two goals at home should be enough for a result, so it's reasonable to say he's done his job and the real issue we have is looking fragile every time the opposition come forward.

Exacltly. It defnitely was Mayor whose pass to Hardie allowed us to get behind the Oxford defence and score the first goal. He was also involved in the build-up to the second goal.

The problem last night was that Oxford forced the play away from their goal and away from areas of the pitch where our more attacking players could do them further damage. What the management team needs to work out is how to stop this from happening.

Dec 3, 2005
Biggs":162oozce said:
He created the goal we did score.

Our main issue is being too soft defensively, but I guess there has to be a scapegoat.

Iā€™d advise taking a few minutes at least after the final whistle, before taking a pop at our own players.

I thought that Hardie made the pass to Camara?

He might be good on the eye, football wise, but the end product is just not there, he either bottles a shooting chance or tries to beat another player and loses the ball.

We need someone with end product.

Some say Mayor passed to Hardie who passed to Camara, great - how far back in the sequence do you want to go, who passed to Mayor should they get a mention?