Mayor | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
GreenThing":3myfja2q said:
I think he is being played out of position. He is right footed and playing him on the left means he has to cut back to get it on his strongest foot. Play him on the right so he can get the crosses in early, curling away from the keeper.

This, every manager and opposition player also knows this and as soon as he moves in there are three or more players waiting for him, play him on the right or through the middle.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
djg145":3t4p7wuh said:
Biggs":3t4p7wuh said:
He created the goal we did score.

Our main issue is being too soft defensively, but I guess there has to be a scapegoat.

I’d advise taking a few minutes at least after the final whistle, before taking a pop at our own players.

I thought that Hardie made the pass to Camara?

He might be good on the eye, football wise, but the end product is just not there, he either bottles a shooting chance or tries to beat another player and loses the ball.

We need someone with end product.

Some say Mayor passed to Hardie who passed to Camara, great - how far back in the sequence do you want to go, who passed to Mayor should they get a mention?

He also made the interception that started the move, more than a little involved in the build up.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
djg145":13kft3kz said:
Biggs":13kft3kz said:
He created the goal we did score.

Our main issue is being too soft defensively, but I guess there has to be a scapegoat.

I’d advise taking a few minutes at least after the final whistle, before taking a pop at our own players.

He might be good on the eye, football wise, but the end product is just not there, he either bottles a shooting chance or tries to beat another player and loses the ball.

We need someone with end product.

Some say Mayor passed to Hardie who passed to Camara, great - how far back in the sequence do you want to go, who passed to Mayor should they get a mention?
To prove his value he's called an assister to the assister. Never heard of it before. :wtf:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
djg145":153bdcz3 said:

He's the assister to the assister (I know this is becoming a cliche :lol:) though. He's nearly always the one who opens up the defence, and plays it to the man in behind to cross to the scorer.

He did it twice for the two goals yesterday (if you include the penalty, which was exactly the play described above), and he got *insert player here* in behind before the first goal too.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Biggs":3diw4qk1 said:
oldage":3diw4qk1 said:
This. How many more chances does Mayor deserve? Could he be causing some unrest among our other midfielders ?

We scored two goals last night, with Mayor assisting the assister both times... so effectively creating the chance for both goals. They're probably very happy with his contribution :thumbup:

Scoring two goals at home should be enough for a result, so it's reasonable to say he's done his job and the real issue we have is looking fragile every time the opposition come forward.

Yeah but he might, might, might be going around taking the best parking spot and I heard he didn't send George Cooper a Christmas card, possibly, maybe.
:funny:

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
What a relief that the man who selects the team every week is someone who knows how important Danny Mayor is to our team and not a lot of the contributors to this thread. Week in, week out Mayor is one of Argyle's best players. Opposition managers know this and put special measures in place to limit his impact - sometimes two or more players marking him and sometimes players trying to mark him for life. One manager even said he'd pay good money to go and watch him. Despite all of this attention he still creates opportunities from very little and, just as importantly, quickly. He also brings the best out of whoever is playing left wing-back. That he is the target of so much negative comment totally baffles me, except that I've seen it so many times before and know that the only loser from such ill-considered criticism is Plymouth Argyle Football Club.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Keith_Whitfield":2cfert0c said:
What a relief that the man who selects the team every week is someone who knows how important Danny Mayor is to our team and not a lot of the contributors to this thread. Week in, week out Mayor is one of Argyle's best players. Opposition managers know this and put special measures in place to limit his impact - sometimes two or more players marking him and sometimes players trying to mark him for life. One manager even said he'd pay good money to go and watch him. Despite all of this attention he still creates opportunities from very little and, just as importantly, quickly. He also brings the best out of whoever is playing left wing-back. That he is the target of so much negative comment totally baffles me, except that I've seen it so many times before and know that the only loser from such ill-considered criticism is Plymouth Argyle Football Club.

Fantastic post with, wait for it, some actual analysis.
As you say, it has ever been thus at Argyle however.
Even when Rueben Reid was knocking goals in for fun some of the chuckleheads nearby me were constantly haranguing him for being 'fat' whilst fawning over Allesandra.
Was quite amusing when Reid came to sit in that part of the stand when injured and I asked his chief critic if they were going to tell Rueben how crap he was...

Mar 14, 2009
The debate shouldn’t be is Danny Mayor a good player. The debate should be is he playing in the correct area of the pitch.

Have a look at Argyle without the ball as the game wears on, Ask yourself why are we so stretched in games? Why do opposition teams look better the longer we play?

Everyone is looking at what Danny Mayor can do? One simple thing he can’t do. Get up and down the pitch like a central midfielder. He doesn’t have the stamina. It’s not a surprise because your asking a forward to do midfielder’s job.

The other issue is because Macleod doesn’t have the legs to get around the park your asking Camara to do all the running for those two. It’s complete madness and one of the reasons the team gets swamped as the game wears on.

Meanwhile, everyone is looking at Mayor and seeing one of two loverly counter attacking dribbles in the second half. However, for the other 40 mins people seem to be choosing to ignore how badly the team are playing. There is no reason to sacrifice the midfield when he could be played further forward in this system or in a different one.

You foul Mayor at the half way line the opposition teams won’t care. You foul him in and around the box it’s a different story.

Keep playing him at CM we are going to keep losing games. He is never the same player at CM in the second half, as he is the first. Argyle are not the same side in the first as they are in the second. If this doesn’t tell us something is wrong lm not sure what will.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Mayor on the left of a front 3 would be tasty, but I do like his shuttling runs from that central midfield position. But then if we moved to a 4-3-3 then Camara could do that job, with Macleod and one other covering him.

Can we get GC back and have them either side of Jephcott? :greensmile:

Jul 12, 2016
Biggs":27t1enft said:
oldage":27t1enft said:
This. How many more chances does Mayor deserve? Could he be causing some unrest among our other midfielders ?

We scored two goals last night, with Mayor assisting the assister both times... so effectively creating the chance for both goals. They're probably very happy with his contribution :thumbup:

Scoring two goals at home should be enough for a result, so it's reasonable to say he's done his job and the real issue we have is looking fragile every time the opposition come forward.
Assisting the assister! Talk about making something out of very little. Mayor is ineffectual for most of the games he plays in and IMO is a luxury we can ill afford in our present predicament.If he moved on in January I would not be upset.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Saying that it’s making something from very little shows your complete lack of awareness of what he actually does bring to the team. :banghead: :banghead:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
It's quite staggering Daz. He has had this entrenched view of Mayor since the first game of the season almost and nothing you, I or anyone else says will change it. For me he has certainly performed below the very high levels we were led to believe he would bring to the team but even so he is a must starter amongst the current squad.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We scored two goals last night, and whether you want to laugh at the phrase ‘assisting the assister’ or not... that IS what he did for both of them. I.e. he made the chance for the player who then crossed/won the penalty.

So if we only scored two goals and he had an absolutely central part of both of them, how can you say he’s ineffectual?

More likely is that he’s doing his job and the defence and the general defensive half of the team isn’t doing theirs, or not being set up to do it adequately.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":3db2i5es said:
Saying that it’s making something from very little shows your complete lack of awareness of what he actually does bring to the team. :banghead: :banghead:

That could be because he doesn't actually pay his tenner to watch the games despite posting prolifically on here!
However Mayor is incredibly frustrating. When he cut in to the penalty area last night in a really good position you just knew he wasn't going to score.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Biggs":11s4a4es said:
We scored two goals last night, and whether you want to laugh at the phrase ‘assisting the assister’ or not... that IS what he did for both of them. I.e. he made the chance for the player who then crossed/won the penalty.

So if we only scored two goals and he had an absolutely central part of both of them, how can you say he’s ineffectual?

More likely is that he’s doing his job and the defence and the general defensive half of the team isn’t doing theirs, or not being set up to do it adequately.

Exactly. Just because he didn’t supply the final ball as an assist, the work he does before to get up the pitch shouldn’t go overlooked.