Mayor | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
jerryatricjanner":b8xh4wd2 said:
It's quite staggering Daz. He has had this entrenched view of Mayor since the first game of the season almost and nothing you, I or anyone else says will change it. For me he has certainly performed below the very high levels we were led to believe he would bring to the team but even so he is a must starter amongst the current squad.

Exactly as I see it.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
up_the_line":2li1urq8 said:
Scapegoatism at its best.
Argyle's best player tonight.
If you want to point fingers then watch a replay of their player for their second goal and the absolutely pathetic attempt by Moore to follow him into the box... Totally unprofessional and gave them the lead. But its Mayor who gets bollocked because its popular.
Try watching the other ten too.

Must agree with this though I would have had Camara as MoM yesterday.

Someone else used the term 'assisting the assister'. Funnily enough I was thinking exactly that phrase watching last night. There were a significant number of times he played Grant in for crosses. The same was true last season with Fadz in particular. The fact that these chances are not finished off are not the fault of Danny Mayor. Two good attempts on goal last night as well - one just wide in the first-half and one that struck Jephcott in the second - no idea where that was going but his reaction suggested it was on target.

Camara has a superb engine, Macleod is decent holding, Grant has a wonderful left peg, Moore is out of form, Cooper is injured/out of form, Reeves yet to fully convince. Without Danny Mayor, we have nothing in terms of creativity - which, by the way, is why his teammates pass to him at every opportunity.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
oldage":1e8w7jd0 said:
Biggs":1e8w7jd0 said:
oldage":1e8w7jd0 said:
This. How many more chances does Mayor deserve? Could he be causing some unrest among our other midfielders ?

We scored two goals last night, with Mayor assisting the assister both times... so effectively creating the chance for both goals. They're probably very happy with his contribution :thumbup:

Scoring two goals at home should be enough for a result, so it's reasonable to say he's done his job and the real issue we have is looking fragile every time the opposition come forward.
Assisting the assister! Talk about making something out of very little. Mayor is ineffectual for most of the games he plays in and IMO is a luxury we can ill afford in our present predicament.If he moved on in January I would not be upset.

Not sure if you are a wind up merchant or have ever actually seen Danny Mayor play.

Aug 15, 2015
Keith_Whitfield":1d48cb7a said:
What a relief that the man who selects the team every week is someone who knows how important Danny Mayor is to our team and not a lot of the contributors to this thread. Week in, week out Mayor is one of Argyle's best players. Opposition managers know this and put special measures in place to limit his impact - sometimes two or more players marking him and sometimes players trying to mark him for life. One manager even said he'd pay good money to go and watch him. Despite all of this attention he still creates opportunities from very little and, just as importantly, quickly. He also brings the best out of whoever is playing left wing-back. That he is the target of so much negative comment totally baffles me, except that I've seen it so many times before and know that the only loser from such ill-considered criticism is Plymouth Argyle Football Club.

So good that we will be struggling to hold onto him presumably? Yes, I'm sure a host of Championship teams are lining up £2mn bids for him. :eh:

Words are just that, words. Ill-considered is the way you are dressing him out to be, as though he was the Lionel Messi in lower league football.

Jul 12, 2016
djg145":1dfqwygp said:
Biggs":1dfqwygp said:
He created the goal we did score.

Our main issue is being too soft defensively, but I guess there has to be a scapegoat.

I’d advise taking a few minutes at least after the final whistle, before taking a pop at our own players.

I thought that Hardie made the pass to Camara?

He might be good on the eye, football wise, but the end product is just not there, he either bottles a shooting chance or tries to beat another player and loses the ball.

We need someone with end product.

Some say Mayor passed to Hardie who passed to Camara, great - how far back in the sequence do you want to go, who passed to Mayor should they get a mention?
Spot on!

Jul 12, 2016
Keith_Whitfield":2jy4ze8p said:
What a relief that the man who selects the team every week is someone who knows how important Danny Mayor is to our team and not a lot of the contributors to this thread. Week in, week out Mayor is one of Argyle's best players. Opposition managers know this and put special measures in place to limit his impact - sometimes two or more players marking him and sometimes players trying to mark him for life. One manager even said he'd pay good money to go and watch him. Despite all of this attention he still creates opportunities from very little and, just as importantly, quickly. He also brings the best out of whoever is playing left wing-back. That he is the target of so much negative comment totally baffles me, except that I've seen it so many times before and know that the only loser from such ill-considered criticism is Plymouth Argyle Football Club.
If he is one of the best players we have god help us. If he left next month I wouldn't be too concerned. A luxury we can ill afford in our current predicament. Give somebody else the same opportunities as he has had to prove how good they are.

Jul 12, 2016
jerryatricjanner":2dnspdta said:
It's quite staggering Daz. He has had this entrenched view of Mayor since the first game of the season almost and nothing you, I or anyone else says will change it. For me he has certainly performed below the very high levels we were led to believe he would bring to the team but even so he is a must starter amongst the current squad.
Doesn't say much for his colleagues. I have an "entrenched view"as you put it because he has done nothing to convince me that he is as good as some make him out to be .I prefer players who compete for 90 minutes.

Sep 6, 2006
Just ignore Oldage. He has stated on here before that he doesn't watch the games so I have no idea how he could form an opinion. As uninformed as his politics.

Feb 8, 2005
It is obvious to everyone that Oldage has the opinion that the most important football players are those that put the ball into the net. Anyone else is not as important and their roles are irrelevant.

Regardless of the work done by others, who provide the scorer with the opportunity, they are not so important as the person who puts the ball into the net.

Mayor is not Carey, Mayor is not Lameras, who could both provide and score. Mayor is Mayor. He is the person who gets the team up the pitch and then passes the ball for others to either make a cross, or have a shot, or pass to someone else in a better position.

His main strength is getting the team into the opposition half. He makes the team go forward.

He has no defensive abilities, he cannot tackle, he cannot head the ball but he does provide the team with the ability to get into the opposition half.

He has that ability and so the opposition managers tend to concentrate on him, rather than others in the team. This should provide space for others and it does work, as we have seen him get 2 or 3 opposition players as soon as he gets the ball. He is far more successful when he only has one to beat and he does get the crowd going in these situations.

However, I do notice that Mayor does slow the game down when he receives the ball from a breakdown of the opposition attack, sometimes when he gets the ball near the halfway line, and the possibility of making a quick breakaway soon disappears as the opposition can then regroup and we start again trying to get through the thirds rather than get on the front foot and make a quick thrust forward.

His role is not to score goals but to provide the opportunity for others. However, when he is in such a position to take on a shot he is encouraged by the manager to do so, but his main job is to provide the ball to others.

He does not have the class of forward that he had with Bury, and I'm sure that this is just as frustrating for him as it is for us, as there is little end product either from him or from others, in comparison. Opportunities go begging, or are not created by his forwards when well placed to do so.

Mayor is Mayor and you have to accept that what he does is different from others and that he has deficiencies as well as skill, as have all the players in this division.

Mayor is just one cog in our team, and the whole team have to play their part for success to be achieved. The defence is our Achilles heel, we need someone to dominate in the air, to organise at the back and be dominant in their position.

We are not going to get one of these in January, who is going to let one go half way through a season? so we will have to plough on and try to get one in at the end of the season in time for next season.

Let's hope there are four teams worse off than us, there are plenty of games to pick up points, but it will be a difficult season for us if we continue as we are.

Jul 12, 2016
jimsing":34tynu2z said:
It is obvious to everyone that Oldage has the opinion that the most important football players are those that put the ball into the net. Anyone else is not as important and their roles are irrelevant.

Regardless of the work done by others, who provide the scorer with the opportunity, they are not so important as the person who puts the ball into the net.

Mayor is not Carey, Mayor is not Lameras, who could both provide and score. Mayor is Mayor. He is the person who gets the team up the pitch and then passes the ball for others to either make a cross, or have a shot, or pass to someone else in a better position.

His main strength is getting the team into the opposition half. He makes the team go forward.

He has no defensive abilities, he cannot tackle, he cannot head the ball but he does provide the team with the ability to get into the opposition half.

He has that ability and so the opposition managers tend to concentrate on him, rather than others in the team. This should provide space for others and it does work, as we have seen him get 2 or 3 opposition players as soon as he gets the ball. He is far more successful when he only has one to beat and he does get the crowd going in these situations.

However, I do notice that Mayor does slow the game down when he receives the ball from a breakdown of the opposition attack, sometimes when he gets the ball near the halfway line, and the possibility of making a quick breakaway soon disappears as the opposition can then regroup and we start again trying to get through the thirds rather than get on the front foot and make a quick thrust forward.

His role is not to score goals but to provide the opportunity for others. However, when he is in such a position to take on a shot he is encouraged by the manager to do so, but his main job is to provide the ball to others.

He does not have the class of forward that he had with Bury, and I'm sure that this is just as frustrating for him as it is for us, as there is little end product either from him or from others, in comparison. Opportunities go begging, or are not created by his forwards when well placed to do so.

Mayor is Mayor and you have to accept that what he does is different from others and that he has deficiencies as well as skill, as have all the players in this division.

Mayor is just one cog in our team, and the whole team have to play their part for success to be achieved. The defence is our Achilles heel, we need someone to dominate in the air, to organise at the back and be dominant in their position.

We are not going to get one of these in January, who is going to let one go half way through a season? so we will have to plough on and try to get one in at the end of the season in time for next season.

Let's hope there are four teams worse off than us, there are plenty of games to pick up points, but it will be a difficult season for us if we continue as we are.
You are so wrong in your opinion of me. I want Argyle to be successful and want the best players we can get in all positions.
My frustration with RL's team is that despite his alleged meticulous planning we end up with players who fail to live up to expectations. I like Hardie and Camara but the rest of his signings have IMO been underwhelming. The ex Bury players are not league 1 standard, the loanees are hardly pulling up trees and he signs Cooper on a longer term contract and rarely plays him when he is available.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
It’s almost like you think we should win every game, every signing should be an overwhelming success and we should win the champs league. This is football.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
You only have to watch the Match Day Moments to see how important Mayor is to Argyle. He’s involved In lots and lots of our attacking play be it the first or second phases. He’s not been signed as a 20 goal a season man and suffers unfair criticism following RL Saying he’s better than Carey or Lameries. It’s like chalk and cheese but Lowe was always going to say that, what else could he say?

Manager after manager (home and away) realise his importance and man mark him with someone else shadowing the man marker, not many at this level are afforded such attention.

He is one player i would much rather be in green than against us.

Mar 14, 2009
Let’s just say for argument sake that playing Mayor at CM isn’t the issue.

What is the solution then to us not losing control of games after a decent/solid first half ?

Surely everyone is agreed we can’t carry on in the same manner with the same system and players.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":c4i4jcdn said:
Let’s just say for argument sake that playing Mayor at CM isn’t the issue.

What is the solution then to us not losing control of games after a decent/solid first half ?

Surely everyone is agreed we can’t carry on in the same manner with the same system and players.

I think it’s the system Mickey, we go all
Out for 45 mins and teams close up, press and then hit us at pace on the break. The stats showing out H1 v H2 this season is quite shocking and after 20 odd games aren’t a coincidence. We lose far too
Many midfield battles in the second half which heaps pressure on our already flakey defence.

Jul 6, 2011
justanotherfan":10muhwgq said:
GreenThing":10muhwgq said:
I think he is being played out of position. He is right footed and playing him on the left means he has to cut back to get it on his strongest foot. Play him on the right so he can get the crosses in early, curling away from the keeper.

This, every manager and opposition player also knows this and as soon as he moves in there are three or more players waiting for him, play him on the right or through the middle.

Who you going to drop, Camara?