New Grandstand experience | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand experience

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
To what extent was the new stand seating and spacing based on the fixed number of rows in the original 1952 Grandstand? Or were these rows removed and new wider rows put in the upper and lower tier? If replaced, this would allow for wider seats or seat spaces?

If the rows weren’t removed, then its worth noting that average heights of people have increased since 1950s. So the original Grandstand rows and seat spaces would have been fine for someone of average 5ft 9 height, but not the current average of 5ft 11.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
IJN":30g951zt said:
Gloucester Green":30g951zt said:
At 6ft 3in with long legs it is impossible to sit in those seats in the MUE thankfully I had an empty seat beside me to sit at an angle

The row I was sat in had the seats slightly offset so you don't even benefit from the rows being inline and having a couple extra cm's from the gap between the seats if you sit with legs open into the voids

I shall not be using the upper grandstand again and I sincerely hope the lower tier provides larger leg space as I grew up on the Mayflower terrace and wish to return there

I know someone who is 6' 6" and he sat in the LM, he said it was THE best seat he's sat in a league ground since Milton Keynes. Looking at them from above, they do look very generous.

Cheers Ian hopefully I can share the same experience then :) as next time I'll get to a game is going to be the derby

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Pezbuck":1qmtnpzj said:
To what extent was the new stand seating and spacing based on the fixed number of rows in the original 1952 Grandstand? Or were these rows removed and new wider rows put in the upper and lower tier? If replaced, this would allow for wider seats or seat spaces?

If the rows weren’t removed, then its worth noting that average heights of people have increased since 1950s. So the original Grandstand rows and seat spaces would have been fine for someone of average 5ft 9 height, but not the current average of 5ft 11.

That's right! I'm about 5 foot taller than I was in 1952!! :oops:

Jun 27, 2019
Kentishgreen":xbwmfypo said:
I always thought that it was the general idea to sit or stand at a football ground and watch the football. Eating, drinking and using the facilities is a half time experience. It’s not the frickin O2!

The facilities are at their chaotic worst at halftime. Obviously. Also before the game, when there's also no actual football to watch.

Aug 13, 2009
To agree with a previous comment, all the money would appear to have been spent on the corporate facilities.
The experience for the rest of us is worse than before

Phil Mallett

Jam First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 16, 2003
Tadley, Hampshire.
santos73":3b8gi4mg said:
To agree with a previous comment, all the money would appear to have been spent on the corporate facilities.
The experience for the rest of us is worse than before

This. I will not be returning to the Mayflower Upper Level, good view save for a pillar but overall a very underwhelming experience. :sad:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Looking at the aerial shot of Anfield before their FA cup game against Everton and you can’t help but see that the front rows of all of the stands will get wet depending on the direction of any rain. It’s not only Home Park’s grandstand will have this issue as football is an outdoor sport played over our winter months.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
i think all the big grounds suffer. I knew someone that did the logistics from China a few years ago for the ponchos and the list of clubs was impressive. All the big boys were there.

The worst I've sat at for getting rained on was Oldham, that was in the posh seats and we all got soaked.

Aug 2, 2011
Do not understand why the getting wet issue has come from. The lower tier grandstand has always been exposed to the elements. The extension of the roof should help to improve that a bit. However the real complaint is about the Crap seating installed in the upper tier. It is appalling. If you are more than 5ft 10 you have to either sit sideways to accommodate your knees or sit with legs splayed apart thereby intruding on anyone sitting next to you. I struggle to understand how anything so inept can have been approved and installed.

I appreciate all that the Halletts and indeed Brent have done for the club but to spend how many millions only to end up with unfit for purpose seating is staggering. I suppose they and the rest of the hierarchy won’t give a bo—ocks because it will not affect them in the directors area.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Presto":1c2n7ewj said:
Do not understand why the getting wet issue has come from. The lower tier grandstand has always been exposed to the elements. The extension of the roof should help to improve that a bit. However the real complaint is about the Crap seating installed in the upper tier. It is appalling. If you are more than 5ft 10 you have to either sit sideways to accommodate your knees or sit with legs splayed apart thereby intruding on anyone sitting next to you. I struggle to understand how anything so inept can have been approved and installed.

I appreciate all that the Halletts and indeed Brent have done for the club but to spend how many millions only to end up with unfit for purpose seating is staggering. I suppose they and the rest of the hierarchy won’t give a bo—ocks because it will not affect them in the directors area.

Apparently the lower tier has brilliant legroom so maybe you should move down there but wait... then you'd be rained on. Just because it's not something that concerns you doesn't mean it doesn't concern anyone else.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
My seat at Palace is 7 rows from the front and with the roof being so high you do get wet in the rain. Sitting in the rain is worse because once I’m wet from the waist to the knees there is no return even if it stops raining. Fortunately I am allowed to get away with standing throughout the game so collar up, cap on and it’s not so bad.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I remember the club handed out polythene ponchos for one really wet game when there were those green seats in the lower Mayflower, it must have been around 2009/2010.

Maybe that will happen again? :)

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":9j6si84o said:
I remember the club handed out polythene ponchos for one really wet game when there were those green seats in the lower Mayflower, it must have been around 2009/2010.

Maybe that will happen again? :)

Was that the match that was abandoned? We were getting hammered too!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That was Barnsley (1-4) but I can't remember seeing any ponchos at that game. I was watching that one with the GT's and the Bickle Suite at the time.

Mar 17, 2018
Plymouth
I get that legroom could/should have been better planned and there are clearly some teething problems to be ironed out, but nobody is obliged to sit there! The new stand looks fab from the other side.

Catering & toilets etc sound little different to elsewhere in the ground - the best part of 16,000 people accessing facilities within a twenty minute window is always going to be tricky. Our family visits (with 2 potentially whiny teenagers) are planned with military precision - arrive early, wet/cold weather clothes on, own supply of sweets then toilet, food & drink before the match starts! Sit back (plenty of legroom for me as I’m only 5’2”) and enjoy the show!