New Grandstand experience | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand experience

Jul 12, 2016
Pezbuck":3lk1hryf said:
Are there plans to get rid of the scruffy corner with the bare steps, portakabin and cables between the Mayflower and Devonport End? Kind of detracts from the new stand.
A nice to do rather than essential.I go to watch the football !

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Superguy":1sy7mtg7 said:
Knock it down and start again from scratch. Itā€™s a disaster.

It very obviously isn't a disaster. Not sure how you solve the legroom and concourse issues though, bar taking seats out and reducing the capacity?

I've only sat in the Lyndhurst still because I wanted to look at the new stand, rather than be in it. But does anyone think the upper tier isn't that bad?

Aug 2, 2011
green5":2hz4ef8r said:
i was looking forward to going back to the grandstand yesterday but was not impressed by the lack of leg room, iam not tall but my knees were nearly touching the seat in front. The old wooden seats could be flipped up if you stood to let people pass but not with the new ones. So when people walked in front of you there is only a tiny space for them to pass. Also the concourse is far too narrow, the toilets too small people were queued for twenty minutes. Overall it might look nice from outside and have up to date corporate facilitys but the overall experience upstairs was very dissapointing and actually worse than before. I have aways said from the beginning the club should have flatten that side and done a new build, which would have filled in both corners, done away with the pillars and have a proper roof over the lower mayflower. Also the players tunnel could have stayed were it was. The cost of a new build quite often is cheaper than reburbishment, and if any extra money was needed morgages are at a record low. It is far cheaper to do it properly now than in in the future as prices always rise. If it was done properly it would set argyle up for years to come.

I totally agree with the comments re leg room. The seating may look pretty from a distance but is absolutely dreadful to have to use. Typical bit of out of touch non user design. Bit like sink plugs on spring loaded metal levers quickly break or fail to hold the water without leaking - nothing wrong with an old fashioned chain. Similarly mixer taps which stick out from the middle of a sink and you cannot get your head down to the water in the sink. Designed for appearance without regard to functionality. Same with the cr-p seats in the Mayflower, bet the designer never been to the a football match.

Sep 2, 2008
Presto":1esysst0 said:
green5":1esysst0 said:
i was looking forward to going back to the grandstand yesterday but was not impressed by the lack of leg room, iam not tall but my knees were nearly touching the seat in front. The old wooden seats could be flipped up if you stood to let people pass but not with the new ones. So when people walked in front of you there is only a tiny space for them to pass. Also the concourse is far too narrow, the toilets too small people were queued for twenty minutes. Overall it might look nice from outside and have up to date corporate facilitys but the overall experience upstairs was very dissapointing and actually worse than before. I have aways said from the beginning the club should have flatten that side and done a new build, which would have filled in both corners, done away with the pillars and have a proper roof over the lower mayflower. Also the players tunnel could have stayed were it was. The cost of a new build quite often is cheaper than reburbishment, and if any extra money was needed morgages are at a record low. It is far cheaper to do it properly now than in in the future as prices always rise. If it was done properly it would set argyle up for years to come.

I totally agree with the comments re leg room. The seating may look pretty from a distance but is absolutely dreadful to have to use. Typical bit of out of touch non user design. Bit like sink plugs on spring loaded metal levers quickly break or fail to hold the water without leaking - nothing wrong with an old fashioned chain. Similarly mixer taps which stick out from the middle of a sink and you cannot get your head down to the water in the sink. Designed for appearance without regard to functionality. Same with the cr-p seats in the Mayflower, bet the designer never been to the a football match.

Any Project that impacts/affects customers should have a Plan that includes HFI (Human Factors Integration). I'm guessing this one didn't or if it did, it was a woefully inadequate part of the Plan.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Slightly tighter leg space but I am very happy to be back in MUE.
A superb view of the ground with no obstructions.
Archieā€™s Bar is a welcome addition and improved sound system.
Very grateful to Simon and Jane.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
davie nine":2g73owxy said:

Blimey, a positive comment about the upper tier! Good to see, as it's very hard to tell whether it really is as terrible as some people are saying, or just teething problems and slightly cosy.

Only one way to find out!

Jan 6, 2004
No question - leg room in upper tier inadequate - should have kept with seats same size as previously - Bristol City have same problem in one of their refurbished stands - this should have been learnt from. Design also should have incorporated wider concourse. Letā€™s be honest here I am sure the corporate facilities are great but shame this came at the expense of the experience for ordinary punters being worse than before.

Jun 27, 2019
Biggs":2xb38cte said:
davie nine":2xb38cte said:

Blimey, a positive comment about the upper tier! Good to see, as it's very hard to tell whether it really is as terrible as some people are saying, or just teething problems and slightly cosy.

Only one way to find out!

I'd imagine if you're shorter than 5'11" and never eat, drink or use the toilet at football matches, then you'll be satisfied with the experience.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
satfan":2cejlx6m said:
Electric score board or two would be welcome team lineups, information, Birthday announcements etc, even match highlights and goals linked up to follow perhaps, watched the game on ifollow excellant coverage 4or 5 camera angles.

I'm sure other nice things will come along after a while.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
ā™£ļø Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
At 6ft 3in with long legs it is impossible to sit in those seats in the MUE thankfully I had an empty seat beside me to sit at an angle

The row I was sat in had the seats slightly offset so you don't even benefit from the rows being inline and having a couple extra cm's from the gap between the seats if you sit with legs open into the voids

I shall not be using the upper grandstand again and I sincerely hope the lower tier provides larger leg space as I grew up on the Mayflower terrace and wish to return there

Gloucester Green

Cream First
ā™£ļø Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
And the PA system is far too loud! You cannot have a conversation with yourself let alone the person next to you!

Lastly seeing as we are all about Mayflower 400 and tradition can we go back to the original Semper Fidelis opposed to that utter tripe version we've used recently

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Gloucester Green":2qv6y9cp said:
At 6ft 3in with long legs it is impossible to sit in those seats in the MUE thankfully I had an empty seat beside me to sit at an angle

The row I was sat in had the seats slightly offset so you don't even benefit from the rows being inline and having a couple extra cm's from the gap between the seats if you sit with legs open into the voids

I shall not be using the upper grandstand again and I sincerely hope the lower tier provides larger leg space as I grew up on the Mayflower terrace and wish to return there

I know someone who is 6' 6" and he sat in the LM, he said it was THE best seat he's sat in a league ground since Milton Keynes. Looking at them from above, they do look very generous.

The Doctor

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Itā€™s interesting that people are reporting that the PA system is too loud in the Mayflower. Itā€™s still pretty much indecipherable in the Lyndhurst although itā€™s better when who is speaking slows down a bit a enunciates their words better. I could hear/understand about 50% of the words that Simon said before the game on Wednesday but little of what anyone else said. Turning up the volume is obviously no substitute for simply speaking clearly in the first place.

Aug 5, 2015
I always thought that it was the general idea to sit or stand at a football ground and watch the football. Eating, drinking and using the facilities is a half time experience. Itā€™s not the frickin O2!