New Grandstand experience | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand experience

Oct 2, 2017
Sat in the new Mayflower Upper for 3 matches so far, taking up my 'old' seat after 18th months in the Devonport.
2 significant concerns....
1. The legroom is simply not acceptable for someone over 6' tall. I now cannot put my feet flat on the floor, and my knees hang over the seat on front, and I get serious indents on the top of my shins during the game. Luckily there's a small lad in the seat in front - if it was an adult, they'd have my knees in their back. Whilst the seats themselves are more comfortable due to the moulded design, it was poor forward planning not to check whether taller supporters would actually be able to sit in them in comfort. I understand this has been pointed out to Mr. Hallett and others, who have given assurances they will look into what can be done, apart from sawing off my legs.
2. I had to show my season ticket to 4 separate club employees on the way to my seat - on joining the queue to the turnstiles, at the turnstiles, before entering the grandstand and again once I got up the stairs inside the grandstand... this seems like overkill to me, or is it some grand job creation scheme??
However, it's good to be back with old friends, despite making great new mates in the Devonport for 18 months.

Jul 14, 2008
swendies":1f12n5qa said:
Making Home Park cashless would help quite a lot in reducing queues.

Would it? Don`t think so, takes longer to take a card payment than give change from a tenner.
Better organisation behind the counters would help. Wish I had a business where you know exactly when your customers would be arriving. I could treble the takings behind the food and drink counters overnight. How do I apply?
If people pay contactless then it’s much quicker.

Jul 18, 2011
Certainly is, I work in a shop sometimes and when busy contactless payments (whether by card phone or watch) save a huge amount of time.

Aug 15, 2015
Was sat in lower for the last two games. Facilities and everything all fine, but must admit the lack of atmosphere will see me return to the Lyndhurst for future games. Big gaps of seats and people all checking out the new stand, it just feels a bit dry.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Shoenice":3avbbidd said:
Was sat in lower for the last two games. Facilities and everything all fine, but must admit the lack of atmosphere will see me return to the Lyndhurst for future games. Big gaps of seats and people all checking out the new stand, it just feels a bit dry.

Thought today was a little better for atmosphere in the lower Mayflower. Some songs were coming from the blocks closer to the away end. Think it’ll come in time when everyone settles. I’m sticking about to be honest mainly because of the view, it’s excellent.

Dec 3, 2005
That was horrendous, so cramped in the concourse, no one could move, queues for the toilet queues for the refreshments. It was almost dangerous to be in there! I have no idea why the concourse was made so much narrower.

Aug 2, 2011
Iam 5 foot 11 and the seating is very very poor. Cannot sit in seat without having to sit half sideways or else get pressure bruises on shins or have knees sticking into the person immediately in front. Aside from cr-p strikers we now have cr-p seats.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
View the seat was good, can't complain. I'm 6ft 1in and with my legs slightly apart I fitted in fine. The fans fest outside was good, a proper bar with pimps, burger van and pasty van. There was also a chippy van that puts pizza toppings on your chips. Different!

The concourse is way too small. There needs to be signage to ensure people know which side to queue from and which side to enter the loos from. I got caught up entering the loos at the exit, along with many others, and took both barrels from a pretentious supporter who decided to tell me that if I was a regular fan I'd know what to do! 10 years ago it may have gotten messy!

More work to do and I'll send some official feedback in to the club as well. Would I go back? Probably not, the Demport is my home tbh

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I often wondered about you! Your mind is in the gutter. :greensmile:

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Despite the result, I had the best day today. Friends bought me hospitality tickets for my family and we ended up on the table with Tynan, Crudgington and Uzell. Had a great time with some good banter, much of it aimed at my 18 year old son who took it on the chin. Uzell in particular was a lovely, lovely man who clearly enjoyed talking about his time at Argyle. Food was great. Service excellent and got to meet Joe Edwards (and one of his new babies) afterwards through his dad (friend of a friend). It was about as perfect as it could be, barring the result. Incredibly impressed with what Argyle have done in what is an amazing facility.

Dec 3, 2005
Forest of Dean Green":2oy9qckh said:
Despite the result, I had the best day today. Friends bought me hospitality tickets for my family and we ended up on the table with Tynan, Crudgington and Uzell. Had a great time with some good banter, much of it aimed at my 18 year old son who took it on the chin. Uzell in particular was a lovely, lovely man who clearly enjoyed talking about his time at Argyle. Food was great. Service excellent and got to meet Joe Edwards (and one of his new babies) afterwards through his dad (friend of a friend). It was about as perfect as it could be, barring the result. Incredibly impressed with what Argyle have done in what is an amazing facility.

Happy that you had a great day. But the seats and concourse are definite problems in the ordinary area of the stand.

Sep 2, 2008
djg145":g6fkv9k0 said:
Forest of Dean Green":g6fkv9k0 said:

Happy that you had a great day. But the seats and concourse are definite problems in the ordinary area of the stand.

I agree. Both are noticibly too small/condensed to accommodate a full grandstand...shudder to think what might happen with so many old/infirm folk having to evacuate via such a small area in the event of an emergency. A classic case of not really considering your customer demographic. Also, having just 4 turnstiles is simply not enough on a busy day. One other thing that needs addressing is the paintwork on the concourse walls. Why it is matt emulsion I'll never know. The walls are going to get filthy over time and will need to be constantly repainted. Would be much better applying a gloss/eggshell finish for at least the bottom 6 feet. As lovely as the stand looks, there doesn't seem to have been much of a common sense approach taken to its development from a customer perspective.