New Grandstand experience | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand experience

Jun 27, 2019
I've heard nothing but good things about the hospitality offering. The club really have done a good job there. But above and below all that space and opulence is a cramped, claustrophobic environment that would be downright dangerous in an emergency.

Dare I say it reminds me a bit of the Titanic.

Aug 10, 2006
so are there no refreshments for the lower mayflower then apart from outside catering inside the fence ?ironic really when you think there is a tea hut down the barn park end covered in cladding, leg room in the grandstand poor which it always was and a dangerously narrow concourse still as long as the 400 down stairs are comfortable.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Where else would refreshments go in the lower tier? And I assume there will be people walking about with food and drink, as in the horseshoe.

Unless it’s raining, the catering/fan zone bit outside seems a lot more pleasant and spacious than other parts of the ground.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Sat in the Lower Mayflower yesterday,excellent view comfortable and plenty of legroom.However I was in Row K Block C and got wet so be careful when you choose where to sit
The toilets were basically portacabins but guess you cant have everything

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Are there plans to get rid of the scruffy corner with the bare steps, portakabin and cables between the Mayflower and Devonport End? Kind of detracts from the new stand.

Apr 24, 2013
i was looking forward to going back to the grandstand yesterday but was not impressed by the lack of leg room, iam not tall but my knees were nearly touching the seat in front. The old wooden seats could be flipped up if you stood to let people pass but not with the new ones. So when people walked in front of you there is only a tiny space for them to pass. Also the concourse is far too narrow, the toilets too small people were queued for twenty minutes. Overall it might look nice from outside and have up to date corporate facilitys but the overall experience upstairs was very dissapointing and actually worse than before. I have aways said from the beginning the club should have flatten that side and done a new build, which would of filled in both corners, done away with the pillars and have a proper roof over the lower mayflower. Also the players tunnel could have stayed were it was. The cost of a new build quite often is cheaper than reburbishment, and if any extra money was needed morgages are at a record low. It is far cheaper to do it properly now than in in the future as prices always rise. If it was done properly it would set argyle up for years to come.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
WoodsyGreen":1t48j5qi said:
I've heard nothing but good things about the hospitality offering. The club really have done a good job there. But above and below all that space and opulence is a cramped, claustrophobic environment that would be downright dangerous in an emergency.

You were on the Titanic? :greensmile:

Apr 28, 2019
I think the answers to the half time concourse congestion problems are; re-locate catering to the far ends of the concourse and increase staff levels (the service is really slow)

Also, paint a line down the middle, and add overhead signage, queue this side (for toilets).

It's a cramped area, needs to be managed a bit better to keep it safe

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
green5":30g3sejd said:
i was looking forward to going back to the grandstand yesterday but was not impressed by the lack of leg room, iam not tall but my knees were nearly touching the seat in front. The old wooden seats could be flipped up if you stood to let people pass but not with the new ones. So when people walked in front of you there is only a tiny space for them to pass. Also the concourse is far too narrow, the toilets too small people were queued for twenty minutes. Overall it might look nice from outside and have up to date corporate facilitys but the overall experience upstairs was very dissapointing and actually worse than before. I have aways said from the beginning the club should have flatten that side and done a new build, which would have filled in both corners, done away with the pillars and have a proper roof over the lower mayflower. Also the players tunnel could have stayed were it was. The cost of a new build quite often is cheaper than reburbishment, and if any extra money was needed morgages are at a record low. It is far cheaper to do it properly now than in in the future as prices always rise. If it was done properly it would set argyle up for years to come.

It’s been explained a million times how the cost of a complete rebuild would dwarf the cost of a refurbishment.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Be interesting to see how many wet/dry games there are between now and the end of season.

This winter does seem to extraordinarily wet compared to before but that might just be because there’s some reason to gauge it.

If the conference facilities make the sorts of money possible it will benefit the club far greater than not. The upper concourse “pub” should maybe be reconfigured for food rather than beer perhaps.

Jun 27, 2019
ghost of hughie reed":2rudnzm2 said:
WoodsyGreen":2rudnzm2 said:

You were on the Titanic? :greensmile:

Yeah, I shared a cabin with this bloke called Taribo.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
loyal1970":1hpcrqxw said:
so are there no refreshments for the lower mayflower then apart from outside catering inside the fence ?ironic really when you think there is a tea hut down the barn park end covered in cladding, leg room in the grandstand poor which it always was and a dangerously narrow concourse still as long as the 400 down stairs are comfortable.

We seem to have spent a huge amount of money on a small number of supporters while the vast majority have been sadly neglected with very little thought put into the facilities for them.

I appreciate the hope that the new corporate area will generate additional non-matchday income.

Lets hope that it justifies the expenditure.

S

satfan

Electric score board or two would be welcome team lineups, information, Birthday announcements etc, even match highlights and goals linked up to follow perhaps, watched the game on ifollow excellant coverage 4or 5 camera angles.