New Pitch? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Pitch?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This is getting silly...

RG you're confused. He brought the pitch MARKINGS two metres in, not the ACTUAL GREEN GRASS OF THE PITCH. Unless you have a problem with exactly where the white lines are, which would be odd because they're changed all the time.

Apology from you, please? :lol:

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
This link might help

https://plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/ho ... h-perfect/

That shows the Home park pitch originally to be 71.32m (78yds) wide (apologies for the direct metric conversion). A reduction by in width by 2m would only bring it in line with the width of the Wembley pitch (69m), Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal at 68m and Chelsea at 67m. So nothing radical.

Most Premiership pitches seem to be 105m in length. I have seen the Home Park pitch quoted variously at 104m and 105m during Adams tenure so again not radically different

May 26, 2015
Graham Clark":2ujx5mxu said:
This link might help

https://plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/ho ... h-perfect/

That shows the Home park pitch originally to be 71.32m (78yds) wide (apologies for the direct metric conversion). A reduction by in width by 2m would only bring it in line with the width of the Wembley pitch (69m), Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal at 68m and Chelsea at 67m. So nothing radical.

Most Premiership pitches seem to be 105m in length. I have seen the Home Park pitch quoted variously at 104m and 105m during Adams tenure so again not radically different

Thank you so much, Graham, for your very helpful post, and for the information you supplied via the link.

It is interesting to know that, following the Adams shrinkage, our pitch remained fairly average for League 2. However, I liked the bigger pitch, and it is vitally important to be as close as possible to the fans, for atmosphere. What's wrong with having the same sized pitch as Leyton Orient?

Anyway, thank you for providing further evidence of the shrinkage, which several posters seem to doubt.

May 26, 2015
Biggs":19e10ip4 said:
This is getting silly...

RG you're confused. He brought the pitch MARKINGS two metres in, not the ACTUAL GREEN GRASS OF THE PITCH. Unless you have a problem with exactly where the white lines are, which would be odd because they're changed all the time.

Are you trying to wind me up, Biggs?

If you pull in the white lines, you shrink the pitch, and that is what I am concerned about. Even if the geographical extent of the grass remains the same, if it is outside of the white lines, it's not on the pitch. Do you get that?

However, I am also concerned that laying astroturf on land that used to form part of the grass pitch that was within the white lines will make it more difficult to revert to grass pitch where the astroturf currently is, i.e. to revert to the size of grass pitch within the white lines that existed before Adams' dictatorial mutilation. Now do you understand that? Because I am not going to post anymore on this. I can't make it any more clear.

Certainly no apology from me, mate. What have I got to apologise for?

Mar 1, 2008
Christ! The off-season has barely started and there's already a barney about the bloody pitch dimensions! :doh:

We've got 87 more days of this!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Right, so it is the white lines you have an issue with...

1) the dimensions of a football pitch are in no way sacred. The dimensions of the Home Park pitch will have been different in 1967 to how they were in 1987, to how they were in 1997. It's entirely up to the manager that season and maybe even the mood or sobriety of the groundsman the day he marks it :lol:

Not dictatorial or a mutilation, just completely common practice at every single football club.

2) the astro turf was put in around the pitch when Inscapes laid a completely new pitch in 2010, six years before Adams changed the pitch dimensions. It was red asphalt before, so I would have thought you'd see that as a visual improvement?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
RochdaleGreen":2zqolvme said:
Biggs":2zqolvme said:
This is getting silly...

Are you trying to wind me up, Biggs?

If you pull in the white lines, you shrink the pitch, and that is what I am concerned about. Even if the geographical extent of the grass remains the same, if it is outside of the white lines, it's not on the pitch. Do you get that?

However, I am also concerned that laying astroturf on land that used to form part of the grass pitch that was within the white lines will make it more difficult to revert to grass pitch where the astroturf currently is, i.e. to revert to the size of grass pitch within the white lines that existed before Adams' dictatorial mutilation. Now do you understand that? Because I am not going to post anymore on this. I can't make it any more clear.

Certainly no apology from me, mate. What have I got to apologise for?

Adams did not bastardise the pitch, he just had the white lines painted a bit closer to each other. This can easily be changed the next time the groundsman paints the lines. The AstroTurf bits replaced the cinders around the pitch and therefore are irrelevant to your argument.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":2zchbl4u said:
Right, so it is the white lines you have an issue with...

1) the dimensions of a football pitch are in no way sacred. The dimensions of the Home Park pitch will have been different in 1967 to how they were in 1987, to how they were in 1997. It's entirely up to the manager that season and maybe even the mood or sobriety of the groundsman the day he marks it :lol:

Not dictatorial or a mutilation, just completely common practice at every single football club.

2) the astro turf was put in around the pitch when Inscapes laid a completely new pitch in 2010, six years before Adams changed the pitch dimensions. It was red asphalt before, so I would have thought you'd see that as a visual improvement?

I'm sure the size of the pitch has to remain the same all season and not changed game by game, much like the use of ball boys or multi-ball.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah exactly, so any manager will decide on the size of the pitch before the season. So I'm not sure why RG think it's sacred when it can theoretically be changed every year.

And at the risk of sounding like the Herald, one of your first tasks in Football Manager games is to decide the dimensions of the pitch to suit your style of play (and told that you only get one chance to decide it), so that must be rooted in reality at least slightly.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
oldage":2upod3hu said:
Why waste money on a new pitch when ours seems to be superior to most of the others in the division.

Totally agree. It’s been commented numerous times how good a playing surface the Home Park pitch is. (Credit to the groundstaff). Why would we want to spend needless money on it when every penny needs to go into the playing budget..

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I’m not sure why people think their naked eye for 90 mins on a Saturday is a better judge than actual experts.

It does look fantastic, but presumably what makes it look fantastic has deteriorated or is deteriorating to the point it needs replacing urgently.

Plane looks great in the air, doesn’t mean much if the engine is about to pack up.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
This thread has got to be up there as one of the most pointless debates ever held on PASOTI.

I'm looking forward to watching it being replaced over the summer on Webcam 1, anyone know whether that'll be before or after ABBA?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Willis88":1vlpddk2 said:
This thread has got to be up there as one of the most pointless debates ever held on PASOTI.

I'm looking forward to watching it being replaced over the summer on Webcam 1, anyone know whether that'll be before or after ABBA?

Need to get it in over the summer and well bedded in after the Abba Concert or there is a risk that The Winter Takes It All!

:coat: :oops: