Next incoming - a keeper? (Jack Ruddy signs) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next incoming - a keeper? (Jack Ruddy signs)

Leo's Grandad

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I like Copper a lot. He is young and will make mistakes. I just hope he doesn't get hounded when they happen.
We could have a really big home grown asset on our hands here. Keeping him held back will only frustrate him and then he'll be off.
RL will give him his chance and see what he can do and with two experienced keepers behind him to push/guide him who knows what will happen..

Oct 5, 2013
arrythewurzel":1w31oex7 said:
Iā€™ll start believing in Cooper when I see a string of clean sheets. Until then Iā€™m reserving judgment.

Ah, so your comments are born out of your lack of belief in Cooper - currently at least.
Letā€™s hope you soon begin to see his qualities...!

Jan 27, 2012
arrythewurzel":35pc9kud said:
I accept Cooper must get his chance but most teams would be looking to loan him out to get experience rather than throw him straight into the rough and tumble of league 1. Massive error in not getting Palmer back in my opinion if available. I accept the Exeter Academy comparisons but theyā€™re still in league 2. I do honestly think Palmer would make the difference between auto/playoffs and mid table mediocrity ... and then the momentum is lost - perhaps a debate for a separate thread.to lose out to Lincoln wants to make me cry quite honestly !

I agree because M.Cooper is a risk. Matt Macey was highly regarded in Arsenal reserves but was out of depth in League One. And we could have the same situation here- we don't know yet. So a loan would have been better for Cooper.

Palmer going to Lincoln seems a waste. Unless it was for family reasons.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
Cooper being our number 1 is a decision that is both football and finance based.

This past 6 months will have made every non Prem club (at least it should have done) how they plan to survive. We are lucky, we have the Hallett's and a non match-day revenue stream, that gives us half a chance.
However we must also in truth monetize our key assets (the sad reality of being a league 1/2 club) - those quite clearly are Cooper and Jephcott. They are young and improving - both have the probable potential to move higher up the food chain.
Lets be quite clear if we finish top 10 and Cooper has a good season, a young, improving, technically sound young goalkeeper will almost certainly command a 7 figure sum from one of the bigger fish.
There are alot of if's in there, but its absolutely how we need to go about things. Its not like we a throwing a weak 16 year old to the lions, we are putting our faith in a talented young man, with good people around him, its an absolute no brainer who our number 1 should be.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
IF we finish in the top 10, or better, Mike Cooper WILL have had a good season, assuming that he remains as first choice.
I am confident that he will have an excellent season.
He has sharp reflexes, is very quick thinking, good distribution (throwing and kicking), brave and confident.
A very exciting prospect.

Oct 5, 2013
gaspargomez":yq32201e said:
arrythewurzel":yq32201e said:
I accept Cooper must get his chance but most teams would be looking to loan him out to get experience rather than throw him straight into the rough and tumble of league 1. Massive error in not getting Palmer back in my opinion if available. I accept the Exeter Academy comparisons but theyā€™re still in league 2. I do honestly think Palmer would make the difference between auto/playoffs and mid table mediocrity ... and then the momentum is lost - perhaps a debate for a separate thread.to lose out to Lincoln wants to make me cry quite honestly !

I agree because M.Cooper is a risk. Matt Macey was highly regarded in Arsenal reserves but was out of depth in League One. And we could have the same situation here- we don't know yet. So a loan would have been better for Cooper.

Well exactly, we donā€™t know the full details do we, he might not have wanted to come to Argyle in any case.
Why do you think Mike Cooper is a ā€œriskā€, what have you seen about his game that makes that the case in your view?

Sep 7, 2006
I'm really excited that Coops is first choice this season. We should be backing our home grown lads to the hilt (and applauding any manager who picks them). Players who have come through the ranks are part of the fabric of the club. Them reaching the first team and having a manager who backs them is another reason why it is so much easier being an Argyle fan these days than it has been for some years.

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":1pj8hjsn said:
IF we finish in the top 10, or better, Mike Cooper WILL have had a good season, assuming that he remains as first choice.
I am confident that he will have an excellent season.
He has sharp reflexes, is very quick thinking, good distribution (throwing and kicking), brave and confident.
A very exciting prospect.

I'm happy with Cooper between the sticks as well. I've seen him in a few games and I feel he is a lot safer than Macey. Of the two, I'd rather have Cooper as the last line of defence.

Jul 12, 2016
Why are some fans questioning RL's decision to make Cooper first choice goalie? Palmer was familiar to the Lincoln manager because both have links with West Brom. down
The season has only just begun so time to give Cooper our full support.I'm confident he will not let us down.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Palmer had made 2 football league appearances before he signed for us. Macey had made 15. Based on that, Palmer was the bigger risk. No contest who was better.

I'm behind the decision to play Cooper for a number of reasons other have mentioned, and I've not seen anything yet that shows he'll be anything but good for us.

Jan 27, 2012
philevs":onbb4bca said:
gaspargomez":onbb4bca said:
arrythewurzel":onbb4bca said:

Well exactly, we donā€™t know the full details do we, he might not have wanted to come to Argyle in any case.
Why do you think Mike Cooper is a ā€œriskā€, what have you seen about his game that makes that the case in your view?

The point is that we havenā€™t seen much of Cooper in League action yet to know very much about the strengths and weaknesses of his game. Macey proved that being highly rated in reserve football doesnā€™t necessarily qualify a keeper for league football. Hence there is a degree of risk.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Iā€™ll trust the judgement of Ryan Lowe over (a minority of) people on this message board. Cooper deserves his chance.

Mar 14, 2009
I got to ask people if they really expect Cooper not to make mistakes??

People go on about developing our own players. Then when we give them a chance we end up being so critical, especially in a game l thought after the 2nd QPR goal (where he probably could of done better) he was immense.

There was one other situation where maybe Cooper could of done slightly better in 2nd half (where Wootton cleared off the line) but please watch the whole game is on YouTube. Have a look how good he was from their equaliser in the second half. Some good saves and some great positioning and handling when it came to crosses.

Cooper will make mistakes. I remember last season seeing criticism of Palmer in certain matches even though he was immense. Itā€™s ridiculous. You either give youth a chance and accept they will make mistakes or you give up having a youth academy.

Oh and itā€™s not just Cooper l find the criticism ridiculous, at this stage of the season, itā€™s also regarding Watts. How old is the player? He has been playing at league 2 level. He has no experience of our system and style of play. He hasnā€™t been a defender for long after being an attacker and then a midfielder. So he is learning. Nothing like having some patience after only one game.

The advantage of the fans not being in the ground is at least these two players wonā€™t have to listen to people having a go and perhaps by the time we are allowed back their confidence will be even stronger.

Aug 5, 2016
Sadly they get to come on the internet and read themselves being slagged off instead. Then we wonder why the likes of Sarcevic and Wootton lose confidence, can be brilliant and confident one minute, then look like they don't want to be there the next.

No doubt someone will post that professional footballers are not toddlers and this means Michael Cooper should learn to deal with being criticised for not being as good or consistent as Alex Palmer, or opposition goalkeepers, and deal with being blamed for defeats etc. I'm sure Ryan Lowe (seemingly a master of instilling confidence) would disagree with that approach.

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":25efe6zo said:
Sadly they get to come on the internet and read themselves being slagged off instead. Then we wonder why the likes of Sarcevic and Wootton lose confidence, can be brilliant and confident one minute, then look like they don't want to be there the next.

No doubt someone will post that professional footballers are not toddlers and this means Michael Cooper should learn to deal with being criticised for not being as good or consistent as Alex Palmer, or opposition goalkeepers, and deal with being blamed for defeats etc. I'm sure Ryan Lowe (seemingly a master of instilling confidence) would disagree with that approach.

I think constructive criticism is fine.

However, after one competitive game this is nonsense. Especially when l thought there were parts of Coopers game which were very good, like his handling.

If we were say 20 games into a new season, and the same mistakes were being made l think itā€™s ok to debate it. However, with taking his age and inexperience into account l find it remarkable the lack of patience by some.