Next incoming - a keeper? (Jack Ruddy signs) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next incoming - a keeper? (Jack Ruddy signs)

Aug 5, 2016
arrythewurzel":3ixs8l5y said:
Excited about the new season and think we have a decent squad but am I the only one worried about Wotton and Canavan in front of a rookie keeper? Every area looks competitive but the defence worries me a bit. Don’t think we’ve kept a clean sheet pre season even against Parkway. Alex Palmer would have been worth 12 points to us next season with his ability .. really surprised we haven’t done everything to get him back. Mccormick returning is a strange one.

I think the McCormick deal brings in a mentor for Cooper who isn't a rival, doesn't threaten Cooper's position or his confidence, but ultimately has experience and can jump in to keep a clean sheet if required. So it isn't all that strange really.

I kind of agree with you regarding Palmer. He was a class act, a model young professional and the kind of player I wish we were hoovering up ordinarily.

However we can't keep wondering how Exeter City keep making fortunes from their academy if we don't develop our own when they are staring us in the face. If Exeter had Cooper he would have been starting two years ago, and had 80 appearances by now. Alex Palmer is most likely better than Cooper in the here and now, but in 5 years time Cooper might be in the Premier League having made the club a hefty transfer fee. 12 months ago, Cooper might have been slightly too young to cope with the burden of being rock solid and delivering a promotion, but now he is 20 years old, has the belief and support of the coaching staff and needs to be backed.

Against that backdrop it makes no sense to develop WBA's keeper for them for another 12 months when we have a prospect of our own crying out for game time and experience.

Jul 12, 2016
Kentishgreen":307swxhx said:
I really don’t understand this negativity with Canavan and Wootton. I mean we did get promoted didn’t we and they played at the heart of the defence that got us promoted didn’t they? In any event it looks like Cooper will be playing behind Canavan or Wootton, not both. So if there was ever a problem it looks unlikely to materialise.
You don't understand the negativity? How often did you watch them last season? Palmer saved them on a number of occasions.

Sep 25, 2010
Ruddy has probably not signed yet, as then if he is picked say as sub tomorrow, and has to come on, then he becomes ‘cuptied’, if he joins another club, later on.

Jul 18, 2011
oldage":2orw1kei said:
Kentishgreen":2orw1kei said:
I really don’t understand this negativity with Canavan and Wootton. I mean we did get promoted didn’t we and they played at the heart of the defence that got us promoted didn’t they? In any event it looks like Cooper will be playing behind Canavan or Wootton, not both. So if there was ever a problem it looks unlikely to materialise.
You don't understand the negativity? How often did you watch them last season? Palmer saved them on a number of occasions.

That’s what the keeper is there for, he is part of the defensive unit alongside the defenders (and the midfielders who track back). The bottom line is that when Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton played together we conceded very few goals.

The other thing to bear in mind is that even before Lowe was signed we were told the way he set up his teams to play we would both score and concede lots of goals which is largely what happened. Apart from when Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton were playing together...

Aug 5, 2015
So just as it’s become a fact that Wootton was responsible for our relegation, despite only playing 8 or 9 times, is it going to become another fact that we only got promoted thanks to Palmer? I thought most of our dire performances last year were down to a certain player who turned us down for something closer to home!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Earlier in the week, RL suggested that, maybe, Luke just needed an injection.
It sounded like he was ‘clutching at straws’ but perhaps Luke’s injury is not as bad it was thought.

Jul 12, 2016
Kentishgreen":2o4928pf said:
So just as it’s become a fact that Wootton was responsible for our relegation, despite only playing 8 or 9 times, is it going to become another fact that we only got promoted thanks to Palmer? I thought most of our dire performances last year were down to a certain player who turned us down for something closer to home!
Put another way.I don't think we would have been promoted without Palmer.

Jul 12, 2016
Abbotts Ann Green":zgar1rzm said:
oldage":zgar1rzm said:
Kentishgreen":zgar1rzm said:

That’s what the keeper is there for, he is part of the defensive unit alongside the defenders (and the midfielders who track back). The bottom line is that when Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton played together we conceded very few goals.

The other thing to bear in mind is that even before Lowe was signed we were told the way he set up his teams to play we would both score and concede lots of goals which is largely what happened. Apart from when Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton were playing together...
Talk about stating the obvious! The keeper's job is to stop goals
and without Palmer we would have conceded far more. If ,for instance, Macey had been in goal with Wootton,Sawyer and Canavan in defence last season I suspect we would still be in league 2.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
No news about a goalie being signed so will that mean Coombs will be the backup?

Aug 11, 2013
I accept Cooper must get his chance but most teams would be looking to loan him out to get experience rather than throw him straight into the rough and tumble of league 1. Massive error in not getting Palmer back in my opinion if available. I accept the Exeter Academy comparisons but they’re still in league 2. I do honestly think Palmer would make the difference between auto/playoffs and mid table mediocrity ... and then the momentum is lost - perhaps a debate for a separate thread.to lose out to Lincoln wants to make me cry quite honestly !

Aug 5, 2015
Who knows what’s happened over night. I remember turning up to a first game of the season back in Luggy’s time when two new players that no one had ever heard of previously turned out for us. Not just in the squad in the team!

lien60

✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
Kentishgreen":31qt570t said:
Who knows what’s happened over night. I remember turning up to a first game of the season back in Luggy’s time when two new players that no one had ever heard of previously turned out for us. Not just in the squad in the team!

Was Chris barker??

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Waiting for international clearance to sign Ruddy.