Our location a problem? I don't think so. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our location a problem? I don't think so.

Biggs":2eefxlio said:
mervyn":2eefxlio said:
IJN":2eefxlio said:
Well change it then Mervyn.

The OP can always change his title.

I’ve tried and failed. Which icon do I press?

The orange 'edit post' pencil on your original post, and edit the 'subject' field.

I just changed it to something very boring because I felt like it :lol: , but you can edit and update it.

Thank you Biggs.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I applaud Mervyn championing our region in his original post. For me it is pretty special living down here, without a doubt. Sadly, I am unable to agree with his conclusion that our isolation is not a barrier to player recruitment.

I am a 'born and bred Devonian' who has left the region - and then returned - on several occasions. My father was in the navy, so we upped sticks when I was at junior school. We returned when I was at senior school. In my twenties I moved away to gain advancement in my career (there being none if I had stayed in Plymouth). I was fortunate enough to have benefitted from the move and I was able to return to Plymouth again in my thirties. Then, in my fifties, I had to leave once more to attend a training establishment near London for a career change (no such establishment existed in Plymouth, or Devon). Circumstances allowed me to return yet again (hopefully for the last time!) in my sixties and I am extremely happy to be back 'in God's country'. :thumbs:

My point is that on each occasion I have left Devon it is because of the absence of facilities, infrastructure, opportunities - call it what you will - that I needed at the time. The only place I could find them was elsewhere. If we turn that around and consider the footballer and his family who may already have all those things in their immediate vicinity (London clubs, Midlands clubs, Northern clubs) why would they need to uproot everything and come to the last EFL outpost in England?

Yes, of course we know how amazing it is down here and what a privilege it is to call this home, but think of a non-Devon based player and his family when faced with the choice of transferring to a club, say, 30 miles down the road or one several hundred miles away.

I appreciate there must be many examples of players who have made the jump to Argyle and then been seduced to the point of 'retiring' down here - but you have to get them to make the jump first! Not easy...

Jul 28, 2020
“Place” is one of the four “p”s of marketing- and is crucial to any business, such as a football club.

But if it’s a problem - why not do what countless other businesses do: change the variable?

No: I’m not suggesting we play our games anywhere other than Plymouth- although that’s been tried by American football franchises, who view the concept of location as being mutable.

Instead we could consider moving our training base- to another location likely to appeal to our “ customer” ( who in our case would be footballers, average age 25 and immediate and extended families).

Where this could be would depend on a cost v benefit calculation. If you take a conservative approach it could be Exeter, Bristol, Bournemouth or slightly further afield: Cambridge.

Thinking on a slightly grander scale it could be Dublin or maybe Greater London or somewhere abroad ?Paris ?

The costs, difficulties and also potential benefits of this idea would be immense. So much so that many people might consider this to be a crazy idea. And, very possibly it is ....

But then again the difference between what one person considers to be ridiculous and stupid and what another person considers to be brilliant can be small indeed.

I’ve often thought that Argyle should use clubs such as RB Leipzig, who have shown that anything is possible .... as their role model. And if that is to be the case it may take an ambitious man to think big and run with crazy ideas ....

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
I dont think we help ourselves though
We regularly sign players from the North who.dont settle
Surely there was a similar quality centre half in the south of England to Watts available? Why aren't we borrowing from Southampto Cardiff , Reading and the such academies

Look at Tanner from Reading area think given a choice he would have liked to stay and tbh is better than some of the players we currently have

Why aren't we looking in Somerset Wiltshire and Dorset as well as Devon and Cornwall

Mr Hodges came from Dorset and is our record appearance holder

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
mervyn":3hqzb42l said:
Across all the pasoti forums, whatever the subject, someone inevitably brings out the routine, repetitive location problem when trying to attract new signings, and I do feel it’s time to seriously question this.

My children, who’ve moved away, and older grandchildren, simply don’t see Devon as an outpost. They don’t believe a 3 hour drive from London or the Midlands makes us inaccessible. People from these regions regularly visit here as a day trip. We’re becoming more Americanised in our attitude to longer journeys. We’re a small island, and nowhere in England is too far away. For the past ten years more people have moved to Devon and Cornwall than to any other region. Do they feel cut off from the friends and family they moved away from? Off course not.

I’ve spoken to four Argyle players who left other regions to come here, and the attractions of raising families here, the lifestyle, house prices and local schooling were all big draws.

I don’t want to antagonise anyone, but is this simply a view by born and bred Devonians who’ve never moved away, and are happy to subscribe to the ‘outpost’ view of our region. A view which isn’t held by the thousands like me who moved here, and are glad they did.

Two years ago I checked all this out in mid season by studying the new arrivals/departures headers on the fan forums for Swansea, Hull, Norwich and even Carlisle. None of these is any less isolated geographically than us. I couldn’t find one single fan’s concern about their club’s location or the difficulty it might pose in signing players. Three of those clubs have recent Prem experience to further prove the point.

So, it’s a genuine question. Do we really have a problem, or is it just one of those ‘same old Argo’ excuses that gets trotted out?

Just look at train timetables to see how much easier and quicker it is to get to London from Swansea, Norwich & Hull than here.

Jul 12, 2016
Paranoid Android":lr9vovlo said:
oldage":lr9vovlo said:
mervyn":lr9vovlo said:
Across all the pasoti forums, whatever the subject, someone inevitably brings out the routine, repetitive location problem when trying to attract new signings, and I do feel it’s time to seriously question this.

My children, who’ve moved away, and older grandchildren, simply don’t see Devon as an outpost. They don’t believe a 3 hour drive from London or the Midlands makes us inaccessible. People from these regions regularly visit here as a day trip. We’re becoming more Americanised in our attitude to longer journeys. We’re a small island, and nowhere in England is too far away. For the past ten years more people have moved to Devon and Cornwall than to any other region. Do they feel cut off from the friends and family they moved away from? Off course not.

I’ve spoken to four Argyle players who left other regions to come here, and the attractions of raising families here, the lifestyle, house prices and local schooling were all big draws.

I don’t want to antagonise anyone, but is this simply a view by born and bred Devonians who’ve never moved away, and are happy to subscribe to the ‘outpost’ view of our region. A view which isn’t held by the thousands like me who moved here, and are glad they did.

Two years ago I checked all this out in mid season by studying the new arrivals/departures headers on the fan forums for Swansea, Hull, Norwich and even Carlisle. None of these is any less isolated geographically than us. I couldn’t find one single fan’s concern about their club’s location or the difficulty it might pose in signing players. Three of those clubs have recent Prem experience to further prove the point.

So, it’s a genuine question. Do we really have a problem, or is it just one of those ‘same old Argo’ excuses that gets trotted out?
I tend to agree with you. When I worked in recruitment for an international company in Cornwall job seekers saw Bristol as the southwest and anything beyond was not considered by a number of agencies.However once candidates came to us for interviews and saw us and the region we rarely had any problems in recruiting.

Different world Oldage. How many of your recruits were on 1 or 2 year contracts within a short professional career 15 years max, and had to face relocating their families again? That’s the sticking point. We are an outpost in the football network. We’re the last major city on the train network, no airport, no density of other clubs around us. That’s the challenge, as I see it.
There was no guarantee how long the new recruits would want to stay and some were quite nomadic. Perhaps the amount of travelling involved playing for Argyle could be a bigger detterent.

Tell you what, Mark58 and The Doctor have given me pause for thought. I moved down here in my mid thirties, the age at which I would have retired as a footballer. So, I have never viewed Devon through the eyes of a 20-30 year old. Time to reflect methinks. Thank you.

Sep 2, 2008
mervyn":3sutrruq said:
Pottypilgrim":3sutrruq said:
mervyn":3sutrruq said:

Which is Chudleigh I presume? Couldn't quite bring yourself to move that extra 45 minutes down the road?

I believe that our location does count against us, however, if we are willing to pay over the top in wages then players are more likely to come e.g. Danny Mayor. Having said that, we couldn't even tempt one of our own (Joe Mason) back because we couldn't pay enough apparently.

Our most recent successful time came when we had a team of Hungarians and Frenchmen which in itself demonstrates the lengths we have to go too in order to attract decent players. I guess though that as we're now using data to recruit, this option is off the table as we probably dont pay the upgrade fee required to have access to European player stats.

Players with a decent pedigree that do join us have either suffered major injuries or have fallen by the wayside for one reason or another and are looking for a way back into football e.g. Reeves, MacLeod, Edwards, Lameiras, Beglin, MacNamee, Ladapo, Quinn, Djokovic and possibly even Ennis falls into this category. There are countless others that I'm sure people could add.

Also, as someone has already mentioned, our own manager cant bring his family down despite saying on a couple of occasions that he is. If the manager cant sell it to his own family then what chance do we have of the players doing so.

Your opening para is unworthy of you Potty. You can do better than that.

Agreed and I could have certainly made my point in a better way.

In my eyes our location has always been a problem and for Lowe to suggest it isn't just demonstrates to me that he really doesn't have a clue. Either that or as I've said earlier he's blatantly lying and just telling us what we want to hear.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Railway sleeper":1uqimxsc said:
“Place” is one of the four “p”s of marketing- and is crucial to any business, such as a football club.

But if it’s a problem - why not do what countless other businesses do: change the variable?

No: I’m not suggesting we play our games anywhere other than Plymouth- although that’s been tried by American football franchises, who view the concept of location as being mutable.

Instead we could consider moving our training base- to another location likely to appeal to our “ customer” ( who in our case would be footballers, average age 25 and immediate and extended families).

Where this could be would depend on a cost v benefit calculation. If you take a conservative approach it could be Exeter, Bristol, Bournemouth or slightly further afield: Cambridge.

Thinking on a slightly grander scale it could be Dublin or maybe Greater London or somewhere abroad ?Paris ?

The costs, difficulties and also potential benefits of this idea would be immense. So much so that many people might consider this to be a crazy idea. And, very possibly it is ....

But then again the difference between what one person considers to be ridiculous and stupid and what another person considers to be brilliant can be small indeed.

I’ve often thought that Argyle should use clubs such as RB Leipzig, who have shown that anything is possible .... as their role model. And if that is to be the case it may take an ambitious man to think big and run with crazy ideas ....

Years ago on this very messageboard I made a semi-serious suggestion that Argyle ‘should’ locate their training base to the Birmingham area, travelling down to Plymouth ahead of home games and to participate in community activities. The idea was roundly condemned as being utterly crazy but whilst I certainly don’t WANT it to happen I’m not sure it is crazy at all from a footballing/recruitment perspective. A state-of-the-art training facility could include a gym and other leisure facilities that could also be open to the public at appropriate times and a hotel that could also be used as a base for the squad, players, their families etc as necessary.

May 16, 2016
Losing the Airport has not helped. Potential signings could be flown in and out as has previously happened.

I've flown from Plymouth to Gatwick on several occasions and could regularly reach Glasgow in not much more than 2 hours (including the stop at Newquay). I used to suppress a chuckle when talking to more centrally based people about travel and they would highlight a journey of 2 hours by road as being a bit of a trek, living down here, you become used to being 4 hours from anywhere.

There's definitely a 'Plymouth premium' to pay if wanting to attract the better players, but a few years as an established higher league club might help that.

Jul 28, 2020
The Doctor":1s310xb1 said:
Railway sleeper":1s310xb1 said:

Years ago on this very messageboard I made a semi-serious suggestion that Argyle ‘should’ locate their training base to the Birmingham area, travelling down to Plymouth ahead of home games and to participate in community activities. The idea was roundly condemned as being utterly crazy but whilst I certainly don’t WANT it to happen I’m not sure it is crazy at all from a footballing/recruitment perspective. A state-of-the-art training facility could include a gym and other leisure facilities that could also be open to the public at appropriate times and a hotel that could also be used as a base for the squad, players, their families etc as necessary.

Brexit has complicated the idea of overseas recruitment- but I’m not clever enough to know all the inns and outs involved in recruiting foreign players-like busacky, halmosi and times- or if indeed that’s possible anymore. But the benefits of being the only U.K. club whose training camp is based in continental Europe would be obvious - in terms of recruitment of foreign players. And whereas Plymouth as a destination might potentially discourage players and families, on the other hand which player / family would turn down the opportunity to live near Paris, for example ?

The same argument could be made for a base near Dublin- plus of course Argyle could tap into the youth development potential - as there is are no professional clubs there.

The big issue with both these ideas would be travel costs ..... but I liked your ideas about a hotel and training facilities.... that would be my line of thought also.

Like I said I fully accept that these are likely to be seen as crazy ideas by many people- and they are..... alternatively they could also be a way of shifting the paradigm and enabling the club to sustainably move up the leagues, and stay up the leagues.....

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
My views for what they are worth: location is massive without the vital transport links, as said before, 1 road in and out and thats an A road. 1 rail line in and out, and to go anywhere means changing a good few times. No airport, that says all it needs to.
We should be able to capitalize on the shear size of Devon and Cornwall but the problems as i see them are: when i was young it was drummed into you that football was not a career for someone down here, focus on your education. There is only 1 team and thousands upon thousands of locals wanting to play for them, good enough or not, if your not connected, you have no chance. The area is also much aligned to fishing industry, dockyard jobs and the Navy. These are the main focus of most, anything else requires moving away but there are options. In poorer locations, football is the only thing drilled into them by famipy etc. as a way out of poverty etc. And there are enough clubs in those areas to be able to do that, here there is only 1 club. On top of the club infrastructure there is the local facilities, now people may think we have a lot of playing fields, 3g courts etc. but having travelled around the country with my sons academy, i can tell you that other parts of the country have far more numerous playing courts, 3g pitches etc. Which are accessable to play on without paying. The idea being to keep them busy and away from crime. We dont have that here.
Shopping etc. A lot of people i know in Plymouth travel to Bristol, Swindon and Portsmouth for shopping, why? They have the designer villages etc. We have house of fraser. Thats pretty much it.
For a night out, most people leave Plymouth to go to Torquay, etc. Etc. Why, because they have the entertainmemt that we dont, all we get are pubs with fights and anything good closed down to make way for something else.
I can go on but i will leave it at that.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
The fact that Devon isn’t exactly seen as a football hot bed doesn’t help.

P

Paranoid Android

oldage":1qpukike said:
Paranoid Android":1qpukike said:
oldage":1qpukike said:
mervyn":1qpukike said:

I tend to agree with you. When I worked in recruitment for an international company in Cornwall job seekers saw Bristol as the southwest and anything beyond was not considered by a number of agencies.However once candidates came to us for interviews and saw us and the region we rarely had any problems in recruiting.

Different world Oldage. How many of your recruits were on 1 or 2 year contracts within a short professional career 15 years max, and had to face relocating their families again? That’s the sticking point. We are an outpost in the football network. We’re the last major city on the train network, no airport, no density of other clubs around us. That’s the challenge, as I see it.
There was no guarantee how long the new recruits would want to stay and some were quite nomadic. Perhaps the amount of travelling involved playing for Argyle could be a bigger detterent.

It would be a factor, but the main one, I don't think so.

May 16, 2016
If our location is such a bad thing, why are so many relocating here ? House sales and rentals are booming, the locals are getting priced out of their own towns. Everyone who moves down for the better life are by their own admission eventually condemning their kids to a struggle for a future and a life in an area they call home. The same area the parents moved to in the first place.

Once the kids have moved on to better things or somewhere with opportunities, does the location remain a problem for the parents or do they stay here ?