Our location a problem? I don't think so. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our location a problem? I don't think so.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Guiri Green":1g0x77gg said:
If our location is such a bad thing, why are so many relocating here ?

I'm not sure many young men from the north-west are relocating to Plymouth.

Could be wrong of course, but each demographic is different. You'd think that Plymouth is an incredible city location at the heart of Devon and Cornwall, but the city seems to have under-achieved as much as the football club.

Maybe it's better to be a well-kept secret and keep it for ourselves :greensmile:

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
I feel Plymouth is having to pull a ball and chain around all the time.....and it won't break free...until it's transportation infrastructure is dragged into the 21st century.

1.....A major city without a motorway anywhere near it.

2.....A second rate railway structure with the possibility of extreme weather washing it's mainline connection to the 'world' away.

3.....A city without an Airport within 40/50 miles ?

Stunted growth and lack of expansion is the result....this will not bring jobs to the area....and with jobs will come money.

All that would be a bonus for PAFC... who then would hope to feed off of it and grow accordingly and then would start attracting better players who would know that road, rail and air availability to the rest of the UK is there for them to use.

At present some see Plymouth as the last stop before the States.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Guiri Green":3jlen4nw said:
If our location is such a bad thing, why are so many relocating here ? House sales and rentals are booming, the locals are getting priced out of their own towns. Everyone who moves down for the better life are by their own admission eventually condemning their kids to a struggle for a future and a life in an area they call home. The same area the parents moved to in the first place.

Once the kids have moved on to better things or somewhere with opportunities, does the location remain a problem for the parents or do they stay here ?

You've missed the point, we're talking about the disadvantage regarding attracting footballers.

I'm sure the majority on here love the region and are thankful for the good things it offers.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
The key issue is about our distance to the big 5 major conurbation Le ie London, Birmingham, North West, Leeds and Yorkshire and The North East.

We are at least 3 and half hours from Birmingham and London. Norwich is a couple of hours. Hull is an hour from a couple of major areas.

We are an outpost in the football world. Players
can leave other clubs but still live in the same town and just commute to a new club. You cannot do that with Argyle.

Devon I think is a really attractive proposition for an older pro with a young family, but much less so for youngsters. When I was over in the Uk last season I stayed in the same hotel as Josh Grant and Zak Rudden. They were staying there for their loan and looked pretty bored as young lads from Glasgow and London.

The other aspect is the travelling, 12,000 miles a season on a coach and time away from family is tough.

I hope that in our data driven recruitment some sort
Of data model is created to look at the attitude of the players and their ability to live and embrace life in a remote footballing outpost that seeks to be key to creating a positive team spirit.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Koala Green":lvnawgi0 said:
I hope that in our data driven recruitment some sort of data model is created to look at the attitude of the players and their ability to live and embrace life in a remote footballing outpost that seeks to be key to creating a positive team spirit.

You'd be hard pressed to find two players who fit that description more than David Friio and Romain Larrieu.

I find it absolutely incredible that we didn't ever really pursue that French/mainland Europe goldmine as a priority, especially as those two really fell into our lap more than being intentionally scouted.

Might have missed the boat with Brexit and EU player restrictions now, though.

P

Paranoid Android

Biggs":1ig3ia3d said:
Koala Green":1ig3ia3d said:
I hope that in our data driven recruitment some sort of data model is created to look at the attitude of the players and their ability to live and embrace life in a remote footballing outpost that seeks to be key to creating a positive team spirit.

You'd be hard pressed to find two players who fit that description more than David Friio and Romain Larrieu.

I find it absolutely incredible that we didn't ever really pursue that French/mainland Europe goldmine as a priority, especially as those two really fell into our lap more than being intentionally scouted.

I agree, I thought Scandinavia might have been another great opportunity.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Paranoid Android":2vmpg5r4 said:
Biggs":2vmpg5r4 said:
Koala Green":2vmpg5r4 said:

I agree, I thought Scandinavia might have been another great opportunity.

Ginsters and Swedes?? Why not!?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Knibbsworth":1j1hjprt said:
London isn't a 3 hour drive to Plymouth. Getting to the West End from the centre takes about an hour itself!

You simply would never pop to Cornwall for a day out if you were from London.

Darren Purse used to play for Argyle and live in London, and used to get the night train so he could sleep.

Trouble was, he was still asleep during most matches

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Andy B.":3l0leodg said:
Will the airport ever reopen?

I can't see it ever being a viable venture without the lengthening of the runway to allow larger aircraft, something that looks geographically impossible without the astronomical cost of compulsory purchase to make way for it.

The landing fees for Gatwick, Heathrow, Stanstead and London City make these routes uneconomical with smaller aeroplanes.
It was the loss of the services to London that finally brought about the closure so without planes going to the capital, it would just fall flat on it's face.

Feb 8, 2005
Forget planes, what about a helicopter base?

Would that provide suitable transport for teams to travel down?

Have to be a hell of a helicopter, I suppose.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":1nxbmn24 said:
Andy B.":1nxbmn24 said:
Will the airport ever reopen?

I can't see it ever being a viable venture without the lengthening of the runway to allow larger aircraft, something that looks geographically impossible without the astronomical cost of compulsory purchase to make way for it.

The landing fees for Gatwick, Heathrow, Stanstead and London City make these routes uneconomical with smaller aeroplanes.
It was the loss of the services to London that finally brought about the closure so without planes going to the capital, it would just fall flat on it's face.

How does the runway compare with the London City Airport length ?

Sep 22, 2020
our location is even a greater problem than it has been in the past as shorter contracts means players are unlikely to up their family from friend networks, school etc just for a one/two year deal. With location comes a lack of neighbouring clubs and a lack of competition/rivals which means we readily accept second best. we compare ourselves to exeter and torquay from academy to first team

Paul sturrock said this was a real problem which is why he went overseas for french trialists as they did not care which part of the uk.

almost unbelievably many scouts stop at exeter as the m5 stops there with cat and fiddle just off a junction.which means two hours travelling saved when academies are playing on a sunday.

even interviewing managers has been done at the holiday inn taunton as distance is a problem.

location is the one key factor (that and the second world war) why Argyle have never achieved what they would think they could have over the past 120 years.

Jun 27, 2019
We're all talking about players and managers, but club ownership is also an issue. Smaller clubs than Argyle have been bankrolled up the leagues, but we just don't seem to be able to attract the kind of rich owner who could really take us places.

Our location has to be a factor. No motorway and no airport would put most benefactors off if they didn't have an emotional connection to the city or region.

Jan 27, 2012
There are only 92 league clubs (72 if you discount the Premier League which is mostly full of foreign talent). Given the number of people who want to play professional football in this country, any sort of professional contract is like gold dust.

If Argyle offer a player a contract on similar terms to another club I see no reason why the geographical location is a problem. Home Park is around 3 hours to Birmingham and 4 hours to London. Contracts are short term so it’s not like a player is committing his whole life to living in a particular area. It probably comes down to money first and foremost.